Why become a member? ×

Public transport in London

Hector

One for you Londoners.

How easy is public transport with a DB? Can I take a bass on the tube? Official TFL guidelines say so, but leave it a bit open as to staff's discretion. What's everyone's experiences?

I'm moving to the big city at the end of summer, and have some work coming up there prior to that. Will be public transport for now, but might get a car if work picks up and I need to travel greater distances.

Not quite the same as DB I know but I cart an electric bass and a cab arond with me on the public transport system all the time.

When the busses / tubes are empty it's a breeze and utterly impossible at busy times, wouldn't even entertain the idea between 6-10AM or 4-7PM... it would be a nightmare.

Edited by CamdenRob

Guest Jecklin

As others have said avoid rush hour like the plague!
My gig rig now is harder to move than the double bass was, but I have no problem on tubes or trains as long as I'm not in peak hours.

The few times I took my double bass on the bus I regretted it. If a pram gets on it's easier to admit defeat and get off than face the agro.
I try not to use busses at all now unless it is totally unavoidable and I don't worry about jumping off.

A wheel or trolley will make your life much easier.

Thanks for the advice gang. I have a KC String Bass Buggy, which is dead useful - better than a wheel as I can stably hold the bass on the endpin next to me. I use the bus a bit around Oxford, and only rarely have trouble. They typically have two buggy spaces though. I occasionally get the train elsewhere without too much hassle.

So are those peak hour times CamdenRob mentions accurate? Seems a bit restrictive.

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1429284067' post='2750051']
So are those peak hour times CamdenRob mentions accurate? Seems a bit restrictive.
[/quote]

At peak times there are an awful lot of people about. You may be able to get the bass through the stations, but the trains and tube get rammed and you physically might not be able to get the bass on.

If I was to shave anything off CamdenRob's times I'd say avoid 7am-9.30am and 5pm-6.30pm

I was refused on to a London bus once with my double bass, because it was 'too big'. I try and completely avoid buses in the city now if I'm working up there.
The tube was also a bit of a nightmare, and although do-able, became so much hassle. I used to just get the train into the city, and phone ahead for a people-carrier cab to the venue or studio.

I have however completely ditched public transport around London with my bass & gear now, and opt to drive into the city for any bass work. I don't mind London driving at all, and it takes so much stress out of public transport, not to mention removing the additional small risk of damage or theft from my gear bag.

Good luck, Hector!

I have trained, tubed and bussed a db loads of times with no problem. I use a couple of straps to secure it to poles etc so there is no need to stand with it.

Great conversation starter and be prepared for many violin comments.