Why become a member? ×

Playing with fingers and a pick

bonzodog

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1429537818' post='2752371']
I think the whole idea is that picking sounds different to finger-style. Why would you want both techniques to sound the same?
[/quote]

If you use both live, then there's a difference in volume - I've found a bit of judicious EQ and volume tweaking helps even out the timbres without masking their differences.

The fundemental sounds of pick and fingers are going to need different EQ and the problem comes when you need to switch in very quickly.
Personally, I want to be able to do things mid bar so re-EQ'ing is out of the question but my consideration is between slap and fingers and those two tone goals can be opposing. Using a pick makes this so much more of a problem but that is why you need to settle on a style
and sound that gets both close...
You need to reconcile a good pick sound with a fingers sound and an EQ pedal may help here but there are many many players who dabble in all three styles and one or the other sounds don't work very well
A pulled slapping note often sounds terrible from a plectrum player as the sound is optimised for one over all else...
It is going to be a big compromise but I think a lot of work can get you close with regards to fingers and pick... but it will likely need
a pedal, or your compromsie will be in what you can actually contemplate playing with the lesser style sound set-up.