Why become a member? ×

Stingray - Flatwounds?

acidbass

Hi all,

Simple question - does anyone use flatwound strings on their Stingray? Going to swap out my rounds for some this week. I use Thomastik, LaBella and Rotosound flats on other basses - but not sure they would be the most appropriate for a 'Ray?

What ones do you use?

Tone-wise, I'm going for a Bernard Edwards-style thud.

All opinions heard and respected :)

Danny

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1429107388' post='2748072']
Hi all,

Simple question - does anyone use flatwound strings on their Stingray? Going to swap out my rounds for some this week. I use Thomastik, LaBella and Rotosound flats on other basses - but not sure they would be the most appropriate for a 'Ray?

What ones do you use?

Tone-wise, I'm going for a Bernard Edwards-style thud.

All opinions heard and respected :)

Danny
[/quote]
Nard used the strings that come on his Stingray I'm pretty sure!

TI's would work well on a stingray imo

Great video. Should be noted that there is a great chunk of foam under the strings too. May be tempted to convert to flats when I next change my strings in about 3 years! How do flats affect neck tension vs same gauge rounds? Am I right in remembering that TI flats are fairly gentle on the neck and fairly loose?

[quote name='ianrendall' timestamp='1429118572' post='2748253']
Great video. Should be noted that there is a great chunk of foam under the strings too. May be tempted to convert to flats when I next change my strings in about 3 years! How do flats affect neck tension vs same gauge rounds? Am I right in remembering that TI flats are fairly gentle on the neck and fairly loose?
[/quote]

Roll on the mutes if you have a pre mid 90s Ray or a Classic but a chunk of foam helps otherwise.

According to a discussion in Talkbass the original Rays came with GHS flats and changed to rounds around 78 so Bernard Edwards' Ray would have had flats and he famously referred to not changing the strings. He also seems to have plucked the strings on his Ray between the pick up and the bridge at least some of the time which makes an interesting sound.

I've got TI flats on my Classic Ray and Ernie Ball Grp 3s on my fretless - both have tension not unlike roundwounds so don't stress the neck and are great to play. The Classic Ray particularly gets the BE thump but the EQ can be made to get the BE pop and slap sound - eg We Are Family.

After trying numerous basses I now play an SR5 and after trying numerous strings I have settled with Rotosound Flats...job done :)

I have to admit that I haven't tried all the other strings you mention but can say that I'm really happy with the roto's, I play both finger style and with a pick and find the whole set up very responsive to my playing style.

I had TI Jazz flats on my EBMM USA SUB and liked them for a while.... until I bought a defretted SUB which came with LaBella 760FL's on.

No major problems with the TIs - but I preferred the slightly higher tension of the LaBellas. Reminiscent of the difference in feel going between 50-105 Slinky and 45-100 Super Slinky.. Super Slinkies just don't feel right for me. Probably mostly down to my clumsy right hand technique, but as long as I can buy a way round it then I don't have to worry about fixing it, right? :D

I've found 100 to 45 are great for a Stingray - especially helps sound balance across the strings when selecting s bassy EQ. I once used a set of 90 to 30 on an SR4HH which also sounded excellent - certainly moved the bass from 70s to Level 42 style 80s/90s sound.

I once bought a five string set of Roto 77s but they had phenomenal tension on my SR5 to the extent I stopped playing it - I never did adjust the set up but this may have helped a bit - I'm afraid I'm not up for using strings which require arm wrestling strength to play!!!

Edited by drTStingray

With any string change, a setup is gonna be on the cards. A truss rod adjust, saddle height and intonation adjustment, and pickup height and angle tweaks are all good ideas to get the most out of a set of strings on a bass*.

TI's are pretty unique feeling flats. They feel a little "looser" than I normally like, and have a more pronounced sensation of rolling when played (no doubt in part due to the round core). but when played lightly they have a smashing sound, and as has been said about them for decades, they last for ages. As long as funds allow, I think everyone should try a set of TI's if they like the sound of flats, especially brighter flats, but don't like the relatively high stiffness of some other flats (e.g. Roto Monels, or D'Addario Chromes).

*EDIT: Make adjustments as necessary, if the strings have similar properties nothing may need to be tweaked other than the tuning pegs and usually a tweak of 1 - 4 intonation adjustment screws.

Edited by PlungerModerno

I re - shod my sub a couple of months ago, I'd never had flats before. It changed my life, for what I do with it. Really warm, tempering the top end and bringing the mid range to life. With the compressor it sounds to me like a good studio sound straight from the amp.