Why become a member? ×

SOLD Fender Squier 82 JV Precision

jojobass

All original 82 Squier precision. These JV basses are getting very collectable now... very well-made, from top-quality parts, much better build quality than a lot of seventies Fenders. This one's a very rare colour, and the condition is excellent. Sounds great, frets excellent condition, feels great to play... very punchy, growly P-bass sound. Also comes with a spare mint green scratchplate (see pics). Currently at the Gallery- let me know if you're interested. Looking for £650.

Edited by jojobass

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='266554' date='Aug 20 2008, 07:27 PM']Excellent basses these; I had an '82 model myself a while back and the quality was as good as any 'Fender' I've played..

Good luck with the sale![/quote]

If mine was a typical example, these are fantastic !

It had the real feel of a preCBS precision - I actually managed to A/B it against a couple of '63 precisions once and it was comparable in playability and not far off in tone albeit a bit more modern. Same comfortable rounded bevel on the fingerboard, same slackness of string, same breadth of fingerboard. A joy to play. The JV is one of the best modern fenders Ive ever used. Price is a bit high perhaps but I dont know the market nowadays. Some people are put off by Squire on the headstock, but forget this and the potential 'collectability', these are very musical and high quality instruments for the price.

Good luck with the sale !

Edited by loweringthetone

AAAAAARRGGGGGHHH THATS GORGEOUS!!!!!!
I really wish i had the money for this, i can attest to the quality of these i have an 82 jazz bass, absolutely amazing, i had a chance to purchase a fiesta red precision many moons ago and didnt, huge regret, put some flatwounds on it and voila instant Pino Palladino, if i wasnt about to become a father in 2 weeks id have this, huge bump for a magnificent instrument at a good price.
all the best - lee

The colour is actually `Fiesta Red' and Jo rightly points out that it varies according to the lighting! More like the orangey red colour than pink....!

I used to have one of these to accompany my honey sunburst '57 JV, like doctor_of_the_bass's, but stupidly sold it about 15 years ago. Lovely! I still have the '57, which has the "Fender" logo with a small "by Squier" logo on the top of the headstock, which I will [b]never[/b] part with!!

Currently my nephew is borrowing and has fallen in love with it. If anyone (doctor_of_the_bass?) has one for sale, he is keen to buy when he gets back from his Ireland tour...

• 2 weeks later...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Squier-82-JV-Precision-Bass_W0QQitemZ260277722264QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260277722264&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A13|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]Here we go[/url]. Shipping tips it over a grand though :)

[quote name='richardd' post='274538' date='Sep 1 2008, 02:10 PM']I think you will find it was sold by Alec at the greedy Gallery a crazy price for a jv even in fiesta red[/quote]

Fair does, it's £699 in The Gallery but that's only £49 more than the OP wanted... significantly less than the ebay 'sale' price :)

Whether you consider that a Fender copy from the early 80's is worth anywhere near this value is the matter for another thread altogether :huh:

• 6 months later...

[quote name='Tee' post='273611' date='Aug 31 2008, 10:33 AM']According to ebay, it sold for £995 :)[/quote]

[quote name='gareth' post='273697' date='Aug 31 2008, 12:55 PM']Wow![/quote]

[quote name='BassManKev' post='273812' date='Aug 31 2008, 03:44 PM']link? thats an insane price :D[/quote]

[quote name='Tee' post='273819' date='Aug 31 2008, 03:52 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Squier-82-JV-Precision-Bass_W0QQitemZ260277722264QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260277722264&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A13|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]Here we go[/url]. Shipping tips it over a grand though :rolleyes:[/quote]
That bass is exactly like mine!!!

I cannot believe it went for so much!!

I bought mine new in '84 for £149

Are you sure that went for a grand?

Why?

[quote name='Twigman' post='430490' date='Mar 10 2009, 02:01 PM']That bass is exactly like mine!!!

I cannot believe it went for so much!!

I bought mine new in '84 for £149

Are you sure that went for a grand?

Why?[/quote]
Because they're rare as the proverbial now, JVs were only around for a year or so & represent some of the best quality & most accurate Japanese Fenders, as well as being the first. The fact they were fairly cheap back in the day will mean that many were sold as starter instruments to kids who trashed them - as was the fate of most of the 70s "lawsuit" era guitars, which can also command wildly inflated prices these days.

Admittedly that was really stupendously expensive, even for a JV.

Jon.

Agreed, that's crazy money- even for an example as sweet as Jojo's!

I paid £300 for mine a year ago after finding it in a shop in Darlington- I must admit I felt pretty smug walking out the shop! :) Mine's the '57 version in white with a maple neck- I put my '79 maple-necked Fender P (a really nice one too!) up for sale after A/B'ing it against the JV- that's how good I think it is!