Why become a member? ×

Tiny practice/acoustic session cab DIY ideas

Beer of the Bass

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1429264413' post='2749764']
So, in use, what is the P-Audio's top end like?
[/quote]

I'm probably the wrong person to ask because I play a Precision-style bass with flats, but I find the top end fine. Using the same cab, I have also been messing about with some B&C 8CX21, considered by many to be the best 8" coaxial driver made. The reponse of the coax goes up to 20kHz and it doesn't sound as if it has any more HF than the P.Audio on bass guitar.

So, you could fit an HF unit (a hi-fi dome tweeter would probably be the best best) but I don't personally think it's necessary.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1429269129' post='2749849']
I think the Faital 2x6" might still be worth a shot, considering that they're sat here waiting to be used. In a 16l sealed box they get as loud as the P-Audio (which I modelled in a 16l box tuned to 45Hz) from 80Hz upwards, both in terms of efficiency and maximum SPL.
[/quote]

Good thinking. If you're not happy you could always fit an 8" driver in the same cab as long you make the baffle removable. By the way, make sure you're comparing xmax figures measured the same way - Faital are more optimistic than P.Audio.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1429359628' post='2750769']
Good thinking. If you're not happy you could always fit an 8" driver in the same cab as long you make the baffle removable. By the way, make sure you're comparing xmax figures measured the same way - Faital are more optimistic than P.Audio.
[/quote]

The removable baffle may be a good call anyway, as I don't fancy trying to work on the inside (for bracing and lining) through little 6" openings. The cab shape and size I'm looking at would certainly fit a single 8" with a port underneath as a plan B, though the volume then would be closer to 15 litres due to the space occupied by the port.
X-max between different manufacturers is a subject I don't really have a handle on yet. For example, I've read that Faital's method of measuring it comes out optimistic while Celestion's figures are conservative, but I haven't read enough yet to figure out how different manufacturers compare on this.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

If the PJB Double Four I just picked up is anything to go by then I'd reccomened checking the brand out. It's 70 watt with, as you might have guessed, two 4 inch neo drivers. It's perfect for acoustic guitars and stripped back small acoustic drums or electric drums. It's not a loud amp but does deliver proper bass tones. Remarkable given the size of it.

I did a little more reading on Xmax calculations. It looks like P-Audio use (voice coil height - gap depth) / 2. If I do the same calculation for the Faital 6FE100 for a like-for-like comparison between the two, it comes out at a rather less impressive 3.25mm.
Thinking about it some more, I've decided to go with the P-Audio! It weighs hardly anything at 1.5Kg and should be able to move a little more air, so should make for a useful little cab. I'll do a simple plywood box with a tube port, which will probably look quite similar to Jecklin's cab when I'm done.
Stevie, I'm wondering what port tuning you went with for yours. I've been looking at this driver in WinISD, and it seems to be a bit of a balancing act between keeping decent power handling down low and keeping port length reasonable for a small box.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1429012302' post='2746956']
I'd be curious to see whether anyone thinks this idea has legs or if it looks like an exercise in futility!
[/quote]

I'm not positive, but I think those are the same drivers my friend Duke LeJeune used in this experimental 4 X 6 cab last year:

I played my EUB through it pretty happily, but to me it seemed better suited for acoustic upright. He has now done a similar one with four of the eight inch Faital 8PR200 drivers, which strike me as much more BG-friendly. I'll be interested to hear how the P.Audio choice works out for you, as I could often use something smaller than my 112 cab at quasi-acoustic jams and the like.

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1429181761' post='2748785']
A better view if the "ghetto crazy8"
[url="https://instagram.com/p/1iFfBxhjYQ/"]https://instagram.com/p/1iFfBxhjYQ/[/url]

I could possibly have got another litre from the box by moving the baffle flush with the box edge, but yes if you need 20litres this box won't suffice sadly (Luckily 15.5 was exactly what I needed).

This is 6mm ply and with good bracing it is stiff and light. If the speaker could take more power then a thicker walled cab may be needed.

Would you wire your 2 speakers up to give a 4ohm cab?
I really reckon you should get something together - I'd love to hear the results.

@ahphook cheers man!
@annoyingtwit once one gets out of amplified music world it is scary how little power you need to be heard. I think this is because acoustic instruments have clearer frequency ranges - an acoustic guitar can't turn up the bass knob and infringe in the double bass for example.

Drummers who have only played with electric guitarists have learned to play as loud as possible to punctuate the amplified volume, where as a drummer used to playing with clarinets and pianos etc will have a very soft touch and be able to coax a full sound from the drums, but at an appropriate volume.

Had you seen the uke band in a solid room rather than a tent the bass would probably have sounded even louder.
[/quote]

Sorry, I only just got around to answering this.

I don't play out yet, and don't have an amp! I practice through smaller speakers, and compose (nothing sophisticated) on computers with headphones usually. I have access to kit at work. I'm interested in amps as I'll probably be getting one at some point, but never really find the need. Yet.