Why become a member? ×

Custom 8x15 bass cabinet

bootsy666

[quote name='bootsy666' timestamp='1429189824' post='2748993']The basson weighed nearly 230lbs! I swapped the speakers for green label neo's, it's easier to move now.[/quote]

Come on, make an effort! You need a man-size speaker like this:

720lbs. 20,000W. 148dB SPL continuous.

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1429207816' post='2749312']
[url="http://www.audioheritage.org/images/jbl/photos/pro-speakers/grateful.jpg"]http://www.audioheri...rs/grateful.jpg[/url]

24x12, pitiful... :)
[/quote]

So the 24 x 15 cross firing in blocks of 12 vertically? Eminence 3015LFs with (as a first estimate) 12 x 6" mid range speakers. Would have to be active crossovers to keep weight down. Approx 9.6 KW power amp would be starting estimate. Cabinet and port dimensions to follow (if I am bored at work tomorrow).

Edited by 3below

Here's a good question. If there were two sets of four speakers in this cab, both same impendance and watts, but different frequencies. Four of the the same in the centre four holes, and the other four in the top two and bottom two, with a horizontal baffle inside dividing the eight speakers into two sets of four, would it sound better?

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1429197256' post='2749120']
Come on, make an effort! You need a man-size speaker like this:

720lbs. 20,000W. 148dB SPL continuous.
[/quote]

Have you seen the price tag on these things? They should come with a free crane.

[quote name='bootsy666' timestamp='1429266251' post='2749786']
If there were two sets of four speakers in this cab, both same impendance and watts, but different frequencies. Four of the the same in the centre four holes, and the other four in the top two and bottom two, with a horizontal baffle inside dividing the eight speakers into two sets of four, would it sound better?
[/quote]Please don't take offense, but posing questions like this one point out why you should not be trying to design your own speaker. One must learn to crawl before learning to walk, and where the science of acoustical engineering is concerned you're still in the pram. Whatever time and money you have invested in this project should be chalked up as a loss, the cost of a learning experience. Go back to square one and read, read, read. The sources are out there.

Bill is talking real sense here, designing Bass cabs is a science (or possibly a black art), this is the reason that I till have a celestion neo 10 sitting in it's original box on a shelf, I bought it about 7 years ago thinking that i could save some cash and build my own little lightweight cab, after reading around a bit and playing with winisd for many hours I realised that even with my engineering degree I was in over my head, hence the pair of barefaced cabs in my signature.

Matt

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1429271806' post='2749884']
Please don't take offense, but posing questions like this one point out why you should not be trying to design your own speaker. One must learn to crawl before learning to walk, and where the science of acoustical engineering is concerned you're still in the pram. Whatever time and money you have invested in this project should be chalked up as a loss, the cost of a learning experience. Go back to square one and read, read, read. The sources are out there.
[/quote]

If this was a Hollywood movie, the plucky bootsy666 would build his bass cab anyway. There'd be a montage scene with lots of screwing and glueing and tolexing. And then there'd be a final climactic scene where his bass cab would face-off with one of Bill's, and blow it out of the water, and Bill would admit defeat and pass the mantle to the spunky young underdog.

However, this is not a Hollywood movie, so that probably won't happen.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1429274337' post='2749920']
If this was a Hollywood movie, the plucky bootsy666 would build his bass cab anyway. There'd be a montage scene with lots of screwing and glueing and tolexing. And then there'd be a final climactic scene where his bass cab would face-off with one of Bill's, and blow it out of the water, and Bill would admit defeat and pass the mantle to the spunky young underdog.
[/quote]This scene would be more apropos, and I'm not the one with the sword:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anEuw8F8cpE

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1428958261' post='2746494']
Holy Moly Batman, that's a cab.

It won't be flapping your trousers - they'll be off down the street on their own!
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1429272686' post='2749900']
Bill is talking real sense here, designing Bass cabs is a science (or possibly a black art), this is the reason that I till have a celestion neo 10 sitting in it's original box on a shelf, I bought it about 7 years ago thinking that i could save some cash and build my own little lightweight cab, after reading around a bit and playing with winisd for many hours I realised that even with my engineering degree I was in over my head, hence the pair of barefaced cabs in my signature.

Matt
[/quote]

Yes indeed very much an art form with lots of science. Having said that having in the past built my own hifi cabs you can go pretty far with a good basic knowledge a little maths and well planned execution.

I'm struggling to think of a single use for such a cab.

If you're not playing with PA support, fair enough, you need chunky backline to do all of the heavy lifting on its own without any outside help from a PA.
But really, an off the shelf 8x10 or 2x15 from any high street shop does that job. Or if you've moved on, buy a nice modern cab like a Barefaced or Baer, or the like.

If you really must build your own, you'd go with Bill's expertise and build to his design. It's not just a nice box to hold 'any' speaker.

If, however, we're playing with PA support, a monster cab is more of a liability.

All of my recent gigging has been with my 2x10 Hartke 1410 which has a fullsome 140 watts. The PA does the rest.
The newly acquired Markbass combo will now do the job.

(I've actually gigged with a PJ Bass Cub, sat on a stand as a nice DI box, meaty floor wedges and the PA doing the rest.

Sorry for being so negative, but I just don't get it.

I support Bootsy666, although the maths don't lie and BFM's advice should put a stop to it sometimes you have to do what you have to do. If (when) it turns out not to work the cab could easily be converted into a forward facing 4x15 that would work well.

Also sludge/stoner fuzz walls of sound require something that does not necessarily fits convention or even sanity....

Go bootsy!

I built cabs 'back then', guessing the dimensions from pics in the Exchange & Mart or Daily Express (yes, before t'web; in fact, before anything..!). My 4x12 for guitar was 36" square, a foot deep, covered in a fetching turquoise foam-backed skai which ripped very easily. All the builds taught me something, usually quite a lot, including why not to continue doing it. At the time, it was a question of 'needs must' (no build = no cab...) and I have no regrets whatever. Would I start again..? No, I would not. Is the proposed project technically optimum..? Never in a month of Sundays. Should it be completed..? Well, having got thus far, the pudding needs proving, I'd say. It serves a purpose, even if it's never plugged in. Once it gets a stage airing, that, in itself, is justification enough. I, too, say 'Go bootsy'. Go with the learning curve; pay your dues.

Edited by Dad3353

I value all of your advice on here, negative and positive!
I'm not going to reply to any of the bitter comments either.
This cab is a radical design, I knew this before I started it.
I did do my homework before starting, and decided against the modern designs that computer programs claim are the best, instead I went with the same idea as the early sunn cabs that have been very successful.
Maybe the haters should listen to my band? There's no clean bass, I play through an excessive amount of fuzz and distortion, my strings are 175 gauge, and tuned between low G and A. Nothing about my style sounds clean tonal and correct.
And I would like to say that I am a fan of matamp bass cabs, they have huge mid range power which is what i am looking for, and guess what speakers they use, celestion Tf's!!! Apparently only for PA and would sound sh*t in a bass cab?
And Bill... If this cab sounds great, would you print your words on to paper and eat them?

Guest Jecklin

@bootsy666 I LOVE the look of the burnt wood on your bass and guitar cabs! (I'm a big fan of raw wood cabs anyway)

Your back line would look amazing in less conventional venues as well. Ie where an audience can really see the stuff making the noise.

Have you got some other gig dates lined up?

Not a judgement on anyone at all - but I'd hazard most commenting here have no comprehension of the sonic context your band operate in.
I'm lucky enough to have seen Sunn(0))) at the underworld 11years ago, having gone with friends but knowing nothing about the music. It certainly changed my perception of amplified distorted bass :)
They weren't using much of the PA system