Why become a member? ×

What is your standard gigging set up and sound?

FuNkShUi

Bass: depending on the situation generally a Sadowsky Metro 5 string (have 3 & usually take 2 with me), '64 custom shop jazz, 2012 American Std P, Wal Mk II & Overwater 5 string freltesses.

Amp: depending on situation again, for small gigs a Euphonic Audio iAmp 350 with 10" EA extension cab, medium gigs a TC Electronic RH450 with TC 2x12 & 1x12 cabs, larger gigs EBS TD650 or SWR SM500 with EMS Neoline 2x12 & 2x10 cabs.

Effects: dont tend to bother with them, TC Ditto looper & Boss OC-2 on occasion

Jazz bass, DHA VT1 DI-EQ (lots of treble, bright boost switched on, slight bass and treble boost), SWR SM400 (modded to take the aural enhancer out) with the EQ set flat, Hartke Hydrive 4x10.

Big, clanky right hand technique takes care of the rest… :)

Edited by paul_5

Mine's a dead simple set up.

A USA Fender precision or jazz (with round wounds) into a Markbass LittleMark head and into a Schroeder 1210 cabinet. The only thing in my signal chain is a Korg Pitchblack tuner which is possibly true bypass, tho i'm not sure.

I have my eq fairly flat except for some added bass (especially needed with the jazz). I play in a trio or four-piece at most, so I have to cover a fair bit of ground in the band.

My playing has always sounded quite thumpy and clanky regardless of what gear I've used over the years, mainly cos i dig in with my fingers quite a lot. At least this rig handles it well and also makes it sound rich and full.

Fingers/pick/thumb and judicious use of my bass's tone control provides the rest of the light and shade.

I dip into flat wound territory now and again, but that seems to take a lot of the balls out of my sound. I do like the sound and feel of flats tho, especially for recording. Live, i just seem to go for the growl of rounds every time.

I should add - my bass sound is a classic example of sounding fairly nondescript by itself, but in the mix with a band it sits in there great and projects really well, which is really why I'm there I'm suppose...

Edited by bassbiscuits

An Xotic 4 string jazz with both pick-ups on, passive tone fully open & active bass slightly boosted into a MXR compressor (always on but nothing excessive) and then into a Boogie mpulse with the ‘driving rock’ factory sample EQ setting in the manual (but with slightly more low-mids) into a Bergantino HS410.

I also use a Mark Bass LM3 with all the knobs pretty much at 12 o’clock (including the filters) accept for a slight low-mid boost and a treble cut. For the hard rock stuff I play a Warwick Stage 1 tuned down half a step with the onboard EQ set flat.

Edited by peteb

Bass: EQ flat and pickup blend on 50/50 (or solely bridge pup in humbucker mode for a couple of the less reggae songs)

Amp: Avalon U5, tone section bypassed, but 'high cut' button in all the time.
Crest power amp volume as required.
BF super twin

I've learned that cutting the frequencies you don't want sounds much better than boosting the frequencies you do. And headroom. Lots of headroom.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1428935384' post='2746089']
60s P bass into EBS Reidmar, [b][u][i]G[b]ain at 2 o'clock[/b][/i], [/u][/b]comp at 12 o'clock, slight mid boost about 750k, bright off, bass tweaked to suit room. Generally have the controls on the guitar wide open unless the DI really has loads of top end in it at which point I'll roll the tone most of the way off.

My tuner is in the line out and is really the only part of the rig I'd change going to one in the effects loop.
[/quote]

Holy smokes! If my gain goes past about 11 o'clock, walls start coming down! and thats with either of my passive P's. Okay it feeds into a BF compact and goes through a zoom B3, but that kinda gain is unknown territory for me..and I play against 2 Marshall halfstacks!

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1428994604' post='2746691']
Holy smokes! If my gain goes past about 11 o'clock, walls start coming down! and thats with either of my passive P's. Okay it feeds into a BF compact and goes through a zoom B3, but that kinda gain is unknown territory for me..and I play against 2 Marshall halfstacks!
[/quote]

Master doesn't go above 9 o'clock, took it round to 3 o'clock during sound check on an outdoor gig and soiled myself :)

For last couple of years it's been US P bass>tuner pedal>Hartke bassattack>Trace Elliot 1x15 combo with SWR 2x10 extension cab. Sticking with that for time being with new band but reintroducing my Roland PK5 pedals through a Roland JV1080 sound module on some new cover songs.