Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT 2 pro owners.......how do you.........

donslow

.......store and transport your heads?!

Just acquired a (new to me) SVT 2 pro head and as you know, it's a beast of an amp,

I got a flight case as part of the sale but am reluctant you use it for several reasons

It's heavy as sin and doesn't help with transporting the head itself being heavy and awkward to carry

It's not side vented and I have read that this can cause overheating issues when using the amp

So my question is this, what do you guys use for transporting and storing yours?!

I've been looking at rack bags as I figure it can be slung over the shoulder for transporting which may make things marginally easier but again, the side vented issues are a concern and I haven't found one with vents in the sides...........yet

I have also considered getting just a regular, sturdy yet padded bag for transport and storage and using the head outside of anything

From anyone's experience, what are good, bags / cases for these heads that can be carried over the shoulder or as a back pack or similar, really looking for an easier way of transporting whilst keeping it protected but if I can get something like that with side vents, all the better

Thanks in advance

I love beastly valve amps (and heavy SS amps, too) but transporting them gets old really quick. If this is a major problem for you, you may want to consider one of the many excellent lightweight amps now available... there are lots of threads here on the subject. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1428835334' post='2744956']
It's not a problem transporting, really just looking for experience / advice on how others carry theirs about
[/quote]

Then either a lightweight rack case like a Boschma would do you, or a decent rack bag.

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1428832552' post='2744902']
.......store and transport your heads?!

Just acquired a (new to me) SVT 2 pro head and as you know, it's a beast of an amp,

I got a flight case as part of the sale but am reluctant you use it for several reasons

It's heavy as sin and doesn't help with transporting the head itself being heavy and awkward to carry

It's not side vented and I have read that this can cause overheating issues when using the amp

So my question is this, what do you guys use for transporting and storing yours?!

I've been looking at rack bags as I figure it can be slung over the shoulder for transporting which may make things marginally easier but again, the side vented issues are a concern and I haven't found one with vents in the sides...........yet

I have also considered getting just a regular, sturdy yet padded bag for transport and storage and using the head outside of anything

From anyone's experience, what are good, bags / cases for these heads that can be carried over the shoulder or as a back pack or similar, really looking for an easier way of transporting whilst keeping it protected but if I can get something like that with side vents, all the better

Thanks in advance
[/quote]

There are some cases like this one:

I've seen some owners taking the handles away for better ventilation,but others that hasn't.It's built by Ampeg so it should work with the handles in place I would think.

I had an svt 2 pro for years and found the overheating thing didn't ever happen. After a gig you could've fried an egg in top of the flightcase but there were no side vents. I was told that a soft case or plastic case wouldn't be sturdy enough to support it's weight. They're just extremely heavy I'm afraid...... Hence mine getting sold!!

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1428832552' post='2744902']

Thanks in advance
[/quote]

I'd love to see you sling an SVT 2 Pro over your shoulder. You'd probably be in A&E with a dislocation!!

[quote name='dave74200' timestamp='1428919508' post='2745842']
I'd love to see you sling an SVT 2 Pro over your shoulder. You'd probably be in A&E with a dislocation!!
[/quote]

I reckon anyone - apart from Arnold Schwarzenegger - who actually slung one of those over their shoulder would actullay end up going with the amp as it continued to "sling".

A trolley for these type of amps is a must, IMO.
No way would I use a shoulder bag for anything approaching 40lbs.
I have a DB750 and I am 100% the bag would be in bits in a few months
and you really don't want to be dropping these things..
Your shoulder isn't going to like it either

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1428904702' post='2745696']
Get a sack truck
[/quote]

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1428906461' post='2745706']
Hahaha good call that man
[/quote]

Not such a silly idea. I've used one of [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633565-Folding-Sack-Truck/dp/B000LFYO7E"]these [/url]to get my Burman's around. When I had the SVT I carried it wearing heavy leather rigger gloves.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1428943873' post='2746233']
I have a DB750 and I am 100% the bag would be in bits in a few months
[/quote]

To me, this is the biggest flaw about getting a rack bag for a head that weighs 31kg. There is no fabric to my knowledge that will support 31kg of weight placed onto a small rack screw! SKB moulded flightcase or similar would be your best bet. I used this with my old SVT 4 PRO to no ill-effect.