Why become a member? ×

Precision Bass Appreciation Club!

Chiliwailer

I bought this from the organizer of a biker rally we played last month, after a set-up and a change of strings it is my current main bass. CiJ Fender in the Hiscox case I bought for it last week.

[attachment=197319:1-2015-07-27 10.43.33.jpg]

I have 14 basses but when we play, almost exclusively, I always take the Precision and the Jazz. Every other bass is great but those Fenders just fit in better than anything!
It annoys me as I really want to rotate all the basses :(

My first p bass is a Westfield Precision (still have it). There's something about a p bass that can cover almost any genre. For 4 years I played genres from metal to R&B with the tone rolled off most of the time before I realised that it also had a really cool kind of woody tone when you start to slap with it. I recently bought a Sire V7 by the way and I definitely love that a lot at the moment.

Im late to the P party cos all the ones i tried i couldnt get on with the chunky neck so i built one with a jazz neck and really liked it and it sat well in the bands live mix, so i thought id give them another go and lo and behold i found a CV in tomato soup red played and hmmmm the neck isnt as chunky as i remembered and promptly traded my Ltd for it. Got it home, whipped off the thumb rest, stuck on my now favorite strings (roto nexus) swapped the pup for a neo entwistle and away i go, im liking it muchly so much so i think im going to just gig the 2 of them. here they are.
firstly the CV
[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/jeffhop/media/P1060154_zpsgxe5banm.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/P1060154_zpsgxe5banm.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

both
[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/jeffhop/media/P1060156_zpsnvpaxezd.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/P1060156_zpsnvpaxezd.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I started out with a tanglewood p copy as my first bass. At some point I had a hohner pj which was just awful. I thought I'd be more of a jazz bass man and owning an MIM Jazz I was almost satisfied... Until I bought an MIJ P 1970 reissue through this forum, with a Steve Harris signature pickup. Playing at home it just sounded ok but at volume and with the Steve Harris Sig strings it is a tone monster. So happy with it for the presence it brings it really is the perfect bass for playing live. I'm no Steve Harris fan but the combo of the pup and strings is very articulate, a big fat sound with a hint of grit to it, very full and never lost under the guitars but not screaming over them either. The fender Japanese neck is lovely , so nicely playable, and the body is reassuringly heavy.
How could it be improved? Maybe a big MM pup at the bridge? Not sure if that's just being greedy or not!
It's the ideal gigging machine, I wasn't completely sold on it until I used it in rehearsals and now it's love.

• 2 weeks later...

My first P bass was the one I still have - a 1970 sunburst one, tort plate, rosewood board, from Musical Exchanges back in the early 1990s.

It was my only bass for a long time. Some oik stole it in 1999 but I tracked it down and was reunited with it, unharmed.

It's been everywhere with me, and has done an awful lot of gigs. It still gets gigged from time to time, and is light as a feather, resonant and very cool. Occasionally it wears flat wounds for recording etc, but its at its thumping snarling best with a set of round wounds.

While in my ownership its had a refret and a new nut fitted, but apart from that its as it was when i bought it (well with a bit less paint from 20 years of wear and tear and gigs.)

About 10 years ago (around the time it needed the refret) I picked up another P bass secondhand which went on to become my go to bass (a 1995/6 USA one) for run of the mill gigs.

But lately the old girl has been coming out for more gigs, and sounds divine.

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1439815262' post='2845951']
But lately the old girl has been coming out for more gigs, and sounds divine.
[/quote]

Great to see the vintage getting some gig time. I always think if you're going to have it, might as well use it! :)

How about a picture?

My first and preferred bass - Marlin 1980s 'made in GDR' p bass, rescued from a friend's dad's shed! Rewired and new pickup, all no name stuff off of amazon and resprayed pink with car paint from Halfords!

I love it! It 'just works'. No tech, no added mucking about, no switches and the basic-est of knobs! I have no idea how 'proper' it sounds, and my Very Metal Flying V is much easier to play but nowhere near as much fun.

It weighs a ton too... Don't care, its my second favourite thing in the world after my bike! :D

[attachment=198671:IMG_20140310_213839.jpg]

• 2 weeks later...

I've never really been a fan of Precisions, but after installing a P pickup in my Jazz bass and then borrowing an old Japanese Ibanez Precision copy for a month long tour...I developed a taste for them! Hence my newest purchase, this 1988 MIJ Fender 57RI (in my favourite colour).

Having played a friends P bass last night, I was reminded just how good they are... There is something about the purity of tone you get from the single P pickup, it is clean and powerful. Basses with more than one pickup can sometimes sound slightly out of phase... The single P pickup has such a strong timbre.

I am a Wal man and that is the tone for me but I do love a good P :)

[quote name='Minty' timestamp='1440703981' post='2853181']
I've never really been a fan of Precisions, but after installing a P pickup in my Jazz bass and then borrowing an old Japanese Ibanez Precision copy for a month long tour...I developed a taste for them! Hence my newest purchase, this 1988 MIJ Fender 57RI (in my favourite colour).

[/quote]

Lovely P. Nice pooch!

[quote name='Minty' timestamp='1440703981' post='2853181']

[/quote]

what a beauty!

I have an American Std P and an American Std J. I also have a Jap J and Mex P and I have to say, the American ones are the best. I don't know what it is, they just sound better Maybe it's the pick ups, maybe it's the wood, maybe it's the hardware , but they do sound better!

I had a bit of a score yesterday in the form of a Badass II for £30 so I thought another pic of my Lynott bass wouldnt go amiss :D

[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/jeffhop/media/P1060169_zpsgvj5e2ta.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j186/jeffhop/P1060169_zpsgvj5e2ta.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My first P back in the mid 70s was a real one, early 70s model. Lovely white with tort guard - beautiful :-)

So why oh why do we sell these treasures for no good reason other than fancying something else (I can't remember what) and spend the rest of our lives regretting it?

Anyway, my current P I've had for quite a few years is a MIJ '96 PB62 ... yep, white with a tort guard. I've upgraded the pickup and tuners and it's a lovely instrument, but I often wonder how she would compare to that old P I had back all those years ago. Having said that, I'm perfectly happy with my current P and don't feel any need for another one :-)

I am a recent convert to P'dom,and have 2;a JHS Tony Butler signature(Black/Black/Maple)which wears flats,and an Aria STB(Burst/White/Rosewood)carrying rounds.
The JHS is a middly soundingbeast,and the Aria has'nt even got to rehearsals yet,but it has tons of acoustic resonance for a cheapy.
After years of playing a Status I am finding that a P does it all,and as I play in a country rock band it is the most fitting of all basses.
Gas wise,I would like a 7/8 size P body in black,a maple J neck with blocks and binding in black,a tort guard and a 2 band eq active/passive pup set up,and lightweight tuners.All for £500 or less!

achievement: dream bass!
waters signature P , facelifted to look like a 57. i payed a MIA price for this MIM: bass+parts + 100% import tax + shipping + dealer's slice! but cant be happier! totally worth it. sounds and plays great!
[attachment=200217:IMG_6396 copy.JPG]

Edited by Yawn_Blah

[quote name='Yawn_Blah' timestamp='1441646055' post='2860553']
achievement: dream bass!
waters signature P , facelifted to look like a 57. i payed a MIA price for this MIM: bass+parts + 100% import tax + shipping + dealer's slice! but cant be happier! totally worth it. sounds and plays great!
[attachment=200217:IMG_6396 copy.JPG]
[/quote]

I does look good! yum!

[quote name='lee4' timestamp='1441051811' post='2855743']
I am a recent convert to P'dom,and have 2;a JHS Tony Butler signature(Black/Black/Maple)which wears flats,and an Aria STB(Burst/White/Rosewood)carrying rounds.
The JHS is a middly soundingbeast,and the Aria has'nt even got to rehearsals yet,but it has tons of acoustic resonance for a cheapy.
After years of playing a Status I am finding that a P does it all,and as I play in a country rock band it is the most fitting of all basses.
Gas wise,I would like a 7/8 size P body in black,a maple J neck with blocks and binding in black,a tort guard and a 2 band eq active/passive pup set up,and lightweight tuners.All for £500 or less!
[/quote]
Buy a Squier VM Fretless Precision and a VM 70s Jazz. Swap the necks. Tada! Sell off the remaining bits to fund the active eq. Not 7/8 size, but will weigh 8lb or less. Job done!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1445715974' post='2893730']
Pearloid looks good. I have Artic White and Maple and i'm even considering a mirror scratchplate.
[/quote]

I like Olympic White, but I would love to have an Arctic White / Maple Am. Std. if ever offered. I had a Fender Standard Fretless Jazz a few years ago in Arctic White. It turned out to be the last Fretless Standard offered in Arctic White. I sold it, and was never able to get another one. The mirror PG may look pretty good on it. I'm just not into the mirror PG.
I would possibly get an Arctic White / Maple, Fender Standard Jazz, one of these days. I have an empty Gig bag needing to have an occupant, and Arctic White is cool.

Edited by gsgbass

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1445776153' post='2894010']

I like Olympic White, but I would love to have an Arctic White / Maple Am. Std. if ever offered. I had a Fender Standard Fretless Jazz a few years ago in Arctic White. It turned out to be the last Fretless Standard offered in Arctic White. I sold it, and was never able to get another one. The mirror PG may look pretty good on it. I'm just not into the mirror PG.
I would possibly get an Arctic White / Maple, Fender Standard Jazz, one of these days. I have an empty Gig bag needing to have an occupant, and Arctic White is cool.
[/quote]

My Artic White MIM is starting to go a buttery colour which i never thought would happen with a modern poly finish. 👍☺