Why become a member? ×

Jamming - What is it?

grumpyguts

After a few years of spare room noodling I have the prospect of playing with an informal Jamming group. This is a way to get back into a band situation, something I have not done for many years.

I generally don't have a problem learning to play along with a variety of stuff from Back in Black to Sir Duke. I do find What is Hip a hill too high - its a speed thing!

I am not too sure what a Jam is - I guess it's totally dependent on the individuals. But as a general rule is there anything I should be able to do beyond root note and 12 bar stuff. I'm fairly sure that if the drummer gets a groove going I can come up with a line to suit; but if the guitarist starts something I might be a bit lost.

Perhaps I shouldn't worry and see what happens...

Bring along fruit and some jars lol, be amusing at least.

When me and others jam generally i will have a load of little bass lines etc ive been working on and others will join in and help me work on them. Or i might also have an idea how the other parts should go and direct them in that direction.
If others have stuff i will do the same but im slightly more limited by my current lack of theory etc for the most part.

In my experience jamming is a word used to describe the scenario when you turn up to an audition and no one else has bothered to learn the material properly and prepare their own parts.

"Hey let's just jam it man" seems to mean "I haven't got a clue how this goes so I'm going to blag it with a combination of random notes and trying to watch everyone else's fretting hand."

I absolutely hate jamming...

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1428616035' post='2743200']
Yes, I would rather we pick a couple of tunes to learn before we meet up and see if we are all on the same page when we get together. Perhaps I will suggest this.
[/quote]

Definately do this, or it will be a 10 minute blues / funk workout in E.

Edited by Drax

imo.. a Jam can be a steep learning curve. depending on your knowledge and ability of course. the annoying bit comes when the guitarist doesn't know what chords/ changes he's playing.. very frustrating years ago when i used to play with said muppets.

although a bit scary at first, jamming with more experienced patient musicians can be very rewarding musical experience.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1428618041' post='2743233']
Thanks for the input everyone. The way I am looking at it is this... Getting out there and playing with others has to be a step forward, I may feel differently after a few sessions but it has to be done.
[/quote]

Jamming is a right of passage - you have to do it just so you can say "I'm never ever doing that again" if nothing else.

It depends what sort of music you play too - if you play, like I did, psychedelic space rock stuff then it can be fun. If you're just playing 12 bar walking bass lines for guitarists to solo over all night though it is a living hell, and this unfortunately is usually what it turns into.

It's ALWAYS guitarists that suggest jamming.... :)

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1428618041' post='2743233']
Thanks for the input everyone. The way I am looking at it is this... Getting out there and playing with others has to be a step forward, I may feel differently after a few sessions but it has to be done.
[/quote] you will be amazed how much your playing/musicality will advance playing with other people. you learn so much. Possibly more about yourself musically, than others. well that was my experience.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1428619005' post='2743243']
you will be amazed how much your playing will advance, playing with other people. you just learn so much.
[/quote]
+1 . And playing at VOLUME too. Completely different world

i remember the first time i played live and it was a jam session, in a pub in cheltenham called the Fiery Angel. it was a guitarist and a drummer. i crapped myself and probably looked very uncomfortable. they just started playing over E minor. then came the other chords i think it was a basic 1/4/5. i fumbled my way through it. it didn't sound good but i learned so much.

nothing good comes without a little bit of pain.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1428615465' post='2743193']
In my experience jamming is a word used to describe the scenario when you turn up to an audition and no one else has bothered to learn the material properly and prepare their own parts.

"Hey let's just jam it man" seems to mean "I haven't got a clue how this goes so I'm going to blag it with a combination of random notes and trying to watch everyone else's fretting hand."

I absolutely hate jamming...
[/quote]

I cut my teeth on bass guitar from years of endless series of jamming with my peers back in the late 60s and early 70s. It was great fun and it's still the most significant part of my training. Everyone jammed back then, the younger generations, not so much I guess.

It's nothing I have time for right now, however I recommend it to any one new to bass that has the opportunity to play with other musicians.

Unfortunately in my opinion true jamming is an activity that is no longer what it once was just like live music overall.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1428619544' post='2743249']
Indeed - I don't want to be a player that kid's himself that he can do loads of stuff in the comfort of his spare room but has no idea how to hold it together with a band.
[/quote]

A las, someone finally said it.

[i]" I don't care how many scales you know or how fast you can play, slap, pop or ping. You can't hang in a jam, there's the door brothah!"[/i]

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1428616035' post='2743200']
Yes, I would rather we pick a couple of tunes to learn before we meet up and see if we are all on the same page when we get together. Perhaps I will suggest this.
[/quote]

That's not what we were doing or what we called jamming back in the 70s. Guess things have changed.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1428620922' post='2743257']
I cut my teeth on bass guitar from years of endless series of jamming with my peers back in the late 60s and early 70s. It was great fun and it's still the most significant part of my training. Everyone jammed back then, the younger generations, not so much I guess.

It's nothing I have time for right now, however I recommend it to any one new to bass that has the opportunity to play with other musicians.

Unfortunately in my opinion true jamming is an activity that is no longer what it once was just like live music overall.

Blue
[/quote] I'm not sure what you mean by "true jamming"

Edited by bubinga5

My understanding of jamming coincides with Blue's observation. Some friends would get into a room with no pre-planned song list; someone randomly starts playing a pattern, a riff or some chords and everyone else follows along. Over time the 'song' mutates, winds down, re-starts, wanders off and comes back.

There may be a pause while someone puts the kettle on or - perhaps - constructs a Camberwell Carrot. Then you start playing again. Repeat until everyone's bored or the neighbours call the council.

It [s]can[/s] used to go on for ages - the longest I ever jammed was about ten hours including comfort breaks. You'd come back from having a piss and they'd have moved the jam on a notch. Or not

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1428623429' post='2743279']
I'm not sure what you mean by "true jamming"
[/quote]

I'm on the same page as Skank.

Well, I think sometimes people think jamming is the same as an open mic.

IMO and my experience jams were held in peoples homes and everyone was welcome and would have a chance to play. You would pick a key and someone would have a lick or riff and you would build off of it. An Open Mic IMO are scams hosted by LLs and bar owners that want free entertainment. Here in Milwaukee the better musicians will not participate in Open Mics. They are usually hosted by a band or a couple of local musicians and as far as open, it's usually for a few guitarists or blues harp players. No my thing.

Blue

Edited by blue

There's random jamming where there's no real structure and no real definition of the music by anyone. While it can be fun initially, it can get frustrating after a while.

BUT, there is also jamming where there is purpose and a pattern with skilled musicians at the helm. And, if you learn to LISTEN, and learn to groove effortlessly, you can grow exponentially as a musician.

<><Peace

If you've got good musicians, jamming can be great fun & very rewarding.
It's a good way to practice techniques in a band situation & some Great songs start life as a jam.

If there's a singer/musician that you can follow, then that makes things easy.

It can help to take a couple of simple songs to deconstruct (Use Me by Bill Withers is a great jamming track as it's just a groove over 2 chords).

The important part... Have Fun :)