Why become a member? ×

Any stand-alone class D power amps out there?

Byo

Hi all,

Just wondering if, as I have not found much on the net, there are any small and portable class D amps similiar in format to the SWR Amplite.
All I seem to find are 1-2 space rack PA amps.

I am tinkering with the idea of going for the BAER tube DI thru a class D into a portable cab (Barefaced 2x10's possibly), but knowing me, I will end up going back to my Markbass Little Rocker 500.

If anyone knows about a class D similar in format and size to the Amplite, let me know!

[quote name='Byo' timestamp='1428362377' post='2740659']
Hi all,

Just wondering if, as I have not found much on the net, there are any small and portable class D amps similiar in format to the SWR Amplite.
All I seem to find are 1-2 space rack PA amps.

I am tinkering with the idea of going for the BAER tube DI thru a class D into a portable cab (Barefaced 2x10's possibly), but knowing me, I will end up going back to my Markbass Little Rocker 500.

If anyone knows about a class D similar in format and size to the Amplite, let me know!
[/quote]

Demeter and Jule Amps both make them, but IIRC both are larger and/or heavier and also considerably more powerful than the Amplite.

Edited by Passinwind

I believe many manufacturers are missing a trick here; there's a lot of bass players who have their signature tone (via stompboxes) and just need to amplify that AND there is some movement towards smaller/lightweight gear.

I looked at the SWR, but was put off by the lack of headroom and eventually went for a TC Electronic BH800. I just run it with the tone controls flat. Works for me.

Good luck with the search.

Thanks Passinwind, already saw those but they are way out of budget! Lol.

I am totally with you Nancy, there are some really cool pedals and pre's that give you all you need and sound fab through the PA when DI'd (Reddi, U5, Tonehammer, Bassbone...)

I guess that the Momark series from Markbass can be set for a Preamp module, blank EQ and a Master section. But the size is comparable to other solid-state heads around there and defeats the purpose of a small (Amplite-sized) amp.

Edited by Byo

[quote name='Byo' timestamp='1428496135' post='2741777']
Thanks Passinwind, already saw those but they are way out of budget! Lol.
[/quote]

Yep, there are a couple of running threads on Talkbass and many people want a cheaper solution, but the supply/demand equation seemingly works against that. So naturally, I just built my own. The first used a plate amp similar to the Bag End amp that sifi2112 mentioned -- still more money than just buying any number of bass amps and using only the power amp part, and only a little smaller than a rack mounted pro sound amp. It ended up living in a standard rack anyway, LOL.

I am currently finishing up this newer one, which does 700 watts at 4 ohms and weighs about 7 lbs:

This will fit side-by-side in a standard rack with a similar sized preamp, or can be stacked on top of smaller cabs, like so:

Frankly, I just don't see the market demand being high enough to get the cost down far enough to make business sense, but as DIY'ers can get away without certifications and warranty obligations (at least here), it didn't work out too badly for me.

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1428504422' post='2741921']

Yep, there are a couple of running threads on Talkbass and many people want a cheaper solution, but the supply/demand equation seemingly works against that. So naturally, I just built my own. The first used a plate amp similar to the Bag End amp that sifi2112 mentioned -- still more money than just buying any number of bass amps and using only the power amp part, and only a little smaller than a rack mounted pro sound amp. It ended up living in a standard rack anyway, LOL.

I am currently finishing up this newer one, which does 700 watts at 4 ohms and weighs about 7 lbs:

This will fit side-by-side in a standard rack with a similar sized preamp, or can be stacked on top of smaller cabs, like so:

Frankly, I just don't see the market demand being high enough to get the cost down far enough to make business sense, but as DIY'ers can get away without certifications and warranty obligations (at least here), it didn't work out too badly for me.
[/quote]

That looks amazing! Nice setup too!
What is the preamp by the way? Never seen it before but looks supah cool.

I guess that I will stick to using my Markbass Little Rocker 500 power section as it makes no sense to spend so much £££ on a power amp.

Really interested on your class-D DIY amp, did you use any specific schematics?

Cheers!

[quote name='Byo' timestamp='1428534438' post='2742297']
That looks amazing! Nice setup too!
What is the preamp by the way? Never seen it before but looks supah cool.

I guess that I will stick to using my Markbass Little Rocker 500 power section as it makes no sense to spend so much £££ on a power amp.

Really interested on your class-D DIY amp, did you use any specific schematics?
[/quote]

The preamp is a DIY build as well. There's a whole thread on it [url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/a-diy-1-2-rack-bass-preamp.1135423/#post-16982343"]here[/url], although I kind of hate just posting TB links on this forum and would be more than happy to discuss anything about it here. Here's a front panel closeup showing the control labeling:

The power amp box just uses the ICEpower 700ASC module, their current latest-greatest. That still required a fair bit of work to implement, even so. I do intend to do a ground-up Class D build eventually, but that will take some [i]serious[/i] work. The Markbass power sections sound good to me, and the form factor isn't really any worse than any of my alternatives. Funny how we would have to pay more for less in this case, no?

Edited by Passinwind