Why become a member? ×

Audition Thief

gt4ever

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1428432187' post='2741250']

I'd call his bluff. But be cautious about it.

It worked for me once, when I bought a bass on this very forum from a newbie (I had a wanted ad). Bass did not arrive, excuses were made, rats were smelled... I checked his profile, noticed others had checked his profile who had also wanted ads... and bingo, he had "sold" them stuff too.
I decided to approach him directly, expecting him to be not that bright, and made him believe I knew where he lived, and that I was going to be in the area soon. I made him believe I had contacts in the police who helped me find him, and I made him believe that I'd let it go if he reimbursed every one of us (one guy had paid by Paypal gift, so he was not covered by Paypal protection)... and in the end we all got our cash back. He was remarkably dumb, he got very scared about the possibility of getting a police record if we went for him... I hope he learnt his lesson and never did it again.

Your singer... cannot be that bright either.
Approach with caution, offer him a way out... Make him realise he's been caught and he could just walk away, and you might just get all your stuff back.
Needless to say, have backup nearby, and film the bastard if he agrees to meet you to return your stuff.

Good luck!
[/quote]

A vigilante from my own heart Jose!!!!

I agree that the guy must know he has been fingered and he needs a way out..
and it might suit all involved if that is the way it turns out..
Since you have asked for the Police help and they say let them do their job, then that is
what you should do...
The guy who 'stole' the case has to play out his hand and none of this is your fault.
If he gets a bollocking or a police record,..?? he should have thought of that before.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1428435208' post='2741295']
Since you have asked for the Police help and they say let them do their job, then that is
what you should do...

[/quote]

Sound advice, I would minimise any contact with the singer, ideally none. if he does contact you make verbatim notes (date,time and sign) of any conversation, be wary of entering into conversations about what is happening.

As others have said, I hope you get the kit back.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1428330880' post='2740275']
That really takes some beating, for someone to go through an audition and then walk off with stuff, beyond belief. Too late to go to the police now, but would be interesting to see if he is actively looking for a band - could set up another audition with a fake band and a mate's phone number and see if he applies?!

Does the GK just take standard power cables? I could stick you one in the post as I have a couple of spares.
[/quote]
Put up a fake ad and see if he tries again ?
Then you can make him a sandwich (hint of knuckle)

Studio owner was unable to give an accurate desription of the singer or the case so could not provide a statement. It was half 10 at night and there was one floodlight outside the studio. A flight case looks very different to a plastic carrier bag in any light, but as he was unable to describe the flight case in any detail he apparently is not a reliable witness. It's ridiculous and it looks like whoever it was has got away with it. I still cant believe the nerve of someone to come to an audition and thieve equipment, it's a crazy world.

Rich

Hopefully he will get caught soon. If he applies to join a band every week, he can rack up a fair bit of cash. I would maybe tell him that the word will be out that he steals kit at auditions. At least that way, people will be wary of him and not give him the chance.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1428831690' post='2744869']
I would maybe tell him that the word will be out that he steals kit at auditions. At least that way, people will be wary of him and not give him the chance.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what the rules are on this forum about public naming and shaming?
But if he is definitely guilty then maybe it's an option?

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1428831690' post='2744869']
Hopefully he will get caught soon. If he applies to join a band every week, he can rack up a fair bit of cash. I would maybe tell him that the word will be out that he steals kit at auditions. At least that way, people will be wary of him and not give him the chance.
[/quote]

As much as I want to give the singer the benefit of the doubt, it really does seem like he has taken your gear. I too would spread the news. Perhaps let it be known that a certain gentleman who looks like [...], aged [...] and [any other defining features] has [b][i]been linked to the theft[/i][/b] of your gear.

Really sorry to hear about this, gt4ever.

I don't know what the defamation laws are in your neck of the woods but be carefull. You don't want the slimeball who took your stuff to have the slightest chance of successfully suing you for defamation of character. Right now, with no concrete evidence, it's his word agains yours if it comes to a court of law.

<><Peace

It is at times like this that i would like to think "WWJD"

What Would Joffrey Do?

....OK, perhaps just let the local music community know so none of them also get caught out.
if you see any bands advertising for singers you can give them a heads up (pun intended).

Only just saw this thread
Just wanted to say how sorry I am this has happened to you

Thanks for letting us know about this modus operandi though
Nicking gear from a band who have just auditioned you, and appearing helpful as you do so

It makes my blood boil too

Good luck in getting your gear back
and I hope this nasty individual is caught.....

Where are we on this?
And what area of Kent, as you could FB it ... in a general way as there are plenty of gig/muso sites where
this sort on info would be useful. You don't have to actually name him on FB but you could let ppl know
by message if they asked..
Even if you just left it as a general incident, at least people might be forewarned..??
If it was in an area near me, I'd share it with a few musical FB groups...

Edited by JTUK

I've warned all music shops around and muso mates in the nearby circles around Canterbury etc. I've given up hope finding him or my gear and am resigned to the buying back of my equipment bit by bit, but I wont be gigging anytime soon with or without a singer.