Why become a member? ×

Audition Thief

gt4ever

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1428397072' post='2740785']
a bit disturbed that this singer has been tried and found guilty by a kangaroo court here.
[/quote]

Well, the singer had better not log on here then, for that is the extent of our jurisdiction ;)

To be fair, the OP conducted the trial and reported the verdict first.

[quote name='gt4ever' timestamp='1428355716' post='2740591']
The singer eventually replied to me after days of avoiding my texts and calls saying exactly what I thought he would say. He said he put the case outside the studio as he didnt know which van to put it in, and then when he left it was not there. Unless there is CCTV then that's it. I've got no proof, it's at the back of a light industrial unit so no footraffic whatsoever and we were the only band there that night. I'm just cross with myself that I gave gear to someone I did not know from Adam. If anything I hope this highlights to others not to make the same stupid mistake. The saga has ruined my Easter and I'm trying to put it all behind me and gradually replace all the items that were in there. But as everyone knows, our flight cases have all our bits and pieces in them, and I'm lost without mine! Night people.

Rich
[/quote]

Potentially a controversial option for you!

Tell him there is clear CCTV footage of him putting the case into his car, tell him you won't tell the police if he just gives you the case back/covers the cost of the contents?

Probably a bit immoral, but at the same time it might be worth a try.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1428397072' post='2740785']
I suspect he is guilty of negligence rather than theft.
[/quote]

That hadn't even occurred to me. Which is probably why I'm not a high-ranking police officer.
Then there's the criminal record of course, so... meh.

[quote name='stingraybassman' timestamp='1428398624' post='2740815']
Tell him there is clear CCTV footage of him putting the case into his car, tell him you won't tell the police if he just gives you the case back/covers the cost of the contents?
[/quote]

If he was prepared to commit theft in the first place he's going to have no problem sticking to his story at all costs. And if he's innocent he's going to have no problem sticking to his story and quite right too. So either way this may not be a great idea...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1428398882' post='2740819']
If he was prepared to commit theft in the first place he's going to have no problem sticking to his story at all costs. And if he's innocent he's going to have no problem sticking to his story and quite right too. So either way this may not be a great idea...
[/quote]

I agree its a terrible idea!

I'm not sure how sellable the stuff beyond the SM58 is but I'd definitely keep an eye on local FB sale groups, Gumtree, eBay etc. If you don't want to ring the police it might be worth ringing the local pawnshops to inform them of the theft (it might be a waste of time I don't know)

On the other hand, if it is the singer that's made off with it all, a spare SM58 can always come in useful so maybe he won't look to offload.

What about home contents insurance. It was lost at a social gathering and not for any business so might it all be covered? I ask because something similar happened to me with my cables bag - even had an SM58 in it. I got a payout from the insurance company within a few days - only to be presented with my cable bag by one of the other guys, at the next gig, saying 'sorry, I picked this up thinking it was mine'!!

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1428406888' post='2740944']
What about home contents insurance. It was lost at a social gathering and not for any business so might it all be covered? I ask because something similar happened to me with my cables bag - even had an SM58 in it. I got a payout from the insurance company within a few days - only to be presented with my cable bag by one of the other guys, at the next gig, saying 'sorry, I picked this up thinking it was mine'!!
[/quote]

I was going to say this. You'll need to report it to the police, they probably won't investigate, but they'll give you a reference number which you'll need.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1428406888' post='2740944'] What about home contents insurance. It was lost at a social gathering and not for any business so might it all be covered? I ask because something similar happened to me with my cables bag - even had an SM58 in it. I got a payout from the insurance company within a few days - only to be presented with my cable bag by one of the other guys, at the next gig, saying 'sorry, I picked this up thinking it was mine'!! [/quote]

I trust you paid the claim money back to the insurance company or is this one of the reasons why my premiums keep increasing?
Eh?

The plot thickens. My gut instinct was always the singer as the culprit. I phoned the studio to see if there was CCTV. I told the owner what happened. He said he saw the singer take a flight case directly to his car and put it in there and thought nothing of it. I said how did he know it was the singer, and he described him and said he got to the studio early and they were chatting before we arrived. I know that this said singer turned up with just a carrier bag with a drink and lyrics inside. So now I have a witness who has nothing to gain from lying. At least I know that my intial instincts were correct. So... what next. I filed everything with the local police. My last contact with the singer that me saying yesterday that I'll check if there is CCTV to see what happened. I now know that he was seen stealing the case so is my best bet to lie to him and say there is CCTV and it shows him putting it in his car and to give him an opportunity to return it to the studio or I'll press charges, or let the police deal with it. Do I call his bluff in the hope that he hasnt got rid of it yet? I just want my gear back! What do you reckon. I am so f***ing livid.

Rich

Edited by gt4ever

[quote name='gt4ever' timestamp='1428424776' post='2741160']...What do you reckon...
[/quote]

Give this new information to the police; they'll certainly visit the fellow and ask for an explanation. He'll stammer a bit, but end up giving them the goods to be returned to you, and will likely get off with a rollocking, if he's lucky. (This is assuming your local constabulary are anything like ours here; they love to get to the bottom of things and sort out issues. It's also their job..!).
Hope this helps.

Just got off the phone to a PC looking into the case. He's gonna speak to the studio owner to get a statement off him and then get in touch with the singer. They said not to call his bluff with the CCTV and leave them to do their job so thats what I'm gonna do. I'll keep you all posted if theres a happy ending to this one!

Rich

[quote name='gt4ever' timestamp='1428426685' post='2741182']
Just got off the phone to a PC looking into the case. He's gonna speak to the studio owner to get a statement off him and then get in touch with the singer. They said not to call his bluff with the CCTV and leave them to do their job so thats what I'm gonna do. I'll keep you all posted if theres a happy ending to this one!

Rich
[/quote]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

[quote name='gt4ever' timestamp='1428424776' post='2741160']
The plot thickens. My gut instinct was always the singer as the culprit. I phoned the studio to see if there was CCTV. I told the owner what happened. He said he saw the singer take a flight case directly to his car and put it in there and thought nothing of it. I said how did he know it was the singer, and he described him and said he got to the studio early and they were chatting before we arrived. I know that this said singer turned up with just a carrier bag with a drink and lyrics inside. So now I have a witness who has nothing to gain from lying. At least I know that my intial instincts were correct. So... what next. I filed everything with the local police. My last contact with the singer that me saying yesterday that I'll check if there is CCTV to see what happened. I now know that he was seen stealing the case so is my best bet to lie to him and say there is CCTV and it shows him putting it in his car and to give him an opportunity to return it to the studio or I'll press charges, or let the police deal with it. Do I call his bluff in the hope that he hasnt got rid of it yet? I just want my gear back! What do you reckon. I am so f***ing livid.

Rich
[/quote]

I'd call his bluff. But be cautious about it.

It worked for me once, when I bought a bass on this very forum from a newbie (I had a wanted ad). Bass did not arrive, excuses were made, rats were smelled... I checked his profile, noticed others had checked his profile who had also wanted ads... and bingo, he had "sold" them stuff too.
I decided to approach him directly, expecting him to be not that bright, and made him believe I knew where he lived, and that I was going to be in the area soon. I made him believe I had contacts in the police who helped me find him, and I made him believe that I'd let it go if he reimbursed every one of us (one guy had paid by Paypal gift, so he was not covered by Paypal protection)... and in the end we all got our cash back. He was remarkably dumb, he got very scared about the possibility of getting a police record if we went for him... I hope he learnt his lesson and never did it again.

Your singer... cannot be that bright either.
Approach with caution, offer him a way out... Make him realise he's been caught and he could just walk away, and you might just get all your stuff back.
Needless to say, have backup nearby, and film the bastard if he agrees to meet you to return your stuff.

Good luck!

[quote name='gt4ever' timestamp='1428426685' post='2741182']

Rich
[/quote]

... or this, probably more sensible :lol: