Why become a member? ×

Audition Thief

gt4ever

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1428333421' post='2740309']
I doubt he came with the express intention f nicking something. More like it was opportunistic.

Best case he took it down and left it by the car and someone else made off with it (I bet that'll be his excuse anyway).

A good reminder not to trust people you don't know. I don't let audience members onto the stage or help pack away at end of gigs.
[/quote]

Yes...can't see this as planned as he will likely have leff some sort of trail.
His phone number, his internet profile on FB or JMB..?? plus someone knows
where he is based...?
Surely, you know something about him and his past bands and what kit he used.??
Someone must have asked this sort of stuff..he can't just be a complete random
off the I-net..?

Sorry to hear this chap. I do despair at the human race at times, what an absolute scumbag. I just don't understand how it's possible in life to be such an arse to another human being. Definitely still call the police, might be able to help it not happen in the future.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1428349384' post='2740501']
My sympathies, glad you shared this.

Guys ever had punters offer help carrying gear after a gig? After hearing this story I understand why we always say "No".

Blue
[/quote]

I had a friend help pack up after a gig. My fault for not triple checking, we were in several vehicles. He left a £700 mixing desk on a wall by the loading area. We raced back but it was gone..

Hard lesson learned! (band members only pack up, and no matter how well meaning friends might be, we're ok)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1428349384' post='2740501']Guys ever had punters offer help carrying gear after a gig? After hearing this story I understand why we always say "No".[/quote]

If anyone ever offers I just point them at the biggest, heaviest item around and carry lighter stuff out with them. Not had anyone try to run off carrying a hefty cab yet, had a few rethink and make excuses though!

The singer eventually replied to me after days of avoiding my texts and calls saying exactly what I thought he would say. He said he put the case outside the studio as he didnt know which van to put it in, and then when he left it was not there. Unless there is CCTV then that's it. I've got no proof, it's at the back of a light industrial unit so no footraffic whatsoever and we were the only band there that night. I'm just cross with myself that I gave gear to someone I did not know from Adam. If anything I hope this highlights to others not to make the same stupid mistake. The saga has ruined my Easter and I'm trying to put it all behind me and gradually replace all the items that were in there. But as everyone knows, our flight cases have all our bits and pieces in them, and I'm lost without mine! Night people.

Rich

[quote name='gt4ever' timestamp='1428355716' post='2740591']
The singer eventually replied to me after days of avoiding my texts and calls saying exactly what I thought he would say. He said he put the case outside the studio as he didnt know which van to put it in, and then when he left it was not there. Unless there is CCTV then that's it. I've got no proof, it's at the back of a light industrial unit so no footraffic whatsoever and we were the only band there that night. I'm just cross with myself that I gave gear to someone I did not know from Adam. If anything I hope this highlights to others not to make the same stupid mistake. The saga has ruined my Easter and I'm trying to put it all behind me and gradually replace all the items that were in there. But as everyone knows, our flight cases have all our bits and pieces in them, and I'm lost without mine! Night people.

Rich
[/quote]
He might be telling the truth. Sorry for the loss mate and I hope it turns up. Are you insured???

If he is telling the truth then he would be a liability in a band. Leaving kit unattended - a very basic error on his part and a very costly one. I am not convinced. I would report it to plod and let him experience professional questioning. I have seen this as a third party, his story (if it is) will soon unfold. He was the last one seen with the kit... is his call to answer.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1428357938' post='2740615']
I really doubt the police would want to know to be honest.

I would check CCTV though.
[/quote]

Depends where you live I suspect, depends what the crime rate is, what the volume and nature of what the Police have to deal with.

This stinks, but just to play devils advocate for a second - you might need to swallow the chance that the guy is telling the truth and put it behind you. I tend to 'go with my gut' on issues such as this but every so often the gut feeling can be wrong - not often though.

When musicians have anything of substance stolen here, they immediately call the police. That way, ownership of any recovered gear can be established. The police then usually make the rounds of local pawn shops -- as should you.

If you've got a local internet sales site over there like Craig's list, keep an eye out for your gear being offered for sale. A band I know had very expensive PA equipment stolen from them recently. They checked Craig's list and damned if the exact equipment was being offered for sale. After a call to the police to let them know what was going down, one of the guys became a "buyer" and met the "sellers" at a local fast food place to make the deal. Money changed hands, the equipment was loaded into the guy's van and BAM!!! four police cruisers descended in a flash on the "sellers." Arrested were a father, his twenty old son, and a friend of the son. The son and his friend made a brief statement to the police while pointing at the father: "he made us do it!" SMH

I don't know why you are so hesitant in calling the police. It is the very first thing I would have done whilst I was still there at the studio, and certainly long, long before I even thought about posting about it on here. The longer you leave it, the less likely you are to ever see your stuff again.

It strikes me that this singer would have to have some real nerve to have taken your kit downstairs and then come back to say goodbye if he was intending to make off with. I suspect he is guilty of negligence rather than theft. I am sorry for the loss of your gear, but a bit disturbed that this singer has been tried and found guilty by a kangaroo court here.

On the basis of the story here, I would be inclined to maybe 'believe' the story, but I think I would make it known that
the police would be involved. Anyone who is innocent in all this would not mind that at all ...but you have to be careful
where you point the suspicion. I'd FB it ..but you'll need pics ect etc..
There are 2 new faces here and I'd be wary of both.
On the face of it..carrying out gear is no issue, but making sure where it is, is the issue... I would have put it in a well light obvious place, but of corse, people do switch off.