Why become a member? ×

Bad Demos!

Roland Rock

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1428350855' post='2740523']

They are top notch musicians IMO, and good lads!
I do take your point that as a demo for the pickups, they don't really show what they can do for standard finger type playing etc.
[/quote]

You won't hear me questioning their ability- it's obvious that they're incredibly talented musicians!

My challenge in this case would be to Seymour Duncan to produce a 'straight' demo that showcases how the pickups sound when played with fingers/pick.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1428390789' post='2740726']

You won't hear me questioning their ability- it's obvious that they're incredibly talented musicians!

My challenge in this case would be to Seymour Duncan to produce a 'straight' demo that showcases how the pickups sound when played with fingers/pick.
[/quote]

I agree with you on this!

My problem with demo videos is that they're about whatever you say they are. If you were cynical enough, you could take one set up and record about 6 or 7 different videos.
Without changing a single setting, in one video you ostensibly demonstrate the pickups, in another video you're talking about the strings, in another video you're talking about the body wood to make some point about 'tonewoods', in another video you talk about how the maple board gives a "brightness" that the rosewood equivalent lacks and so on and so interminably on making video after video with the exact same gear.
If you play well, your "pickup" video will garner compliments about the quality of the pickups. Your "strings" video will start some discussion about nickel vs steel.

Having said that, I watch pretty much every one I find. I just really like looking at basses :D

Edited by alittlebitrobot

I'm certain many players aren't actually attempting to demo gear at all, just using the gear as a means to get people to view and comment on their playing.
It can be really frustrating when you're genuinely trying to get a feel for a product you can't try in person only to have to wade through so many w*** sessions ;)

I really enjoy the basswhispers youtube videos, plays the same thing with fingers and pick, varying the pickups and tone to really give you an idea of the sound characteristics of the
basses he demos rather than his chops, top stuff!

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1428475276' post='2741529']
Ed Friedland is the best reviewer out there by far. The reviews are always clear and not showing off.
[/quote]

But when he plays the same bass as one I own it sounds nothing like mine, so ultimately like all bass reviews useless.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1428477852' post='2741546']

But when he plays the same bass as one I own it sounds nothing like mine, so ultimately like all bass reviews useless.
[/quote]

It's a good starting point though in my mind as you get a general idea of how it'll sound. Not great but it's better than nothing.