Why become a member? ×

What is the right balance between 'rhythmic support' and melodic playing?

Andrej

[quote name='Andrej' timestamp='1428151365' post='2738525']
I know this is a noob question...

...[list]
[*]When and why do you look at the drummer or at the other instruments? What triggers that decision?
[/list]
[/quote]

Just gone back over this thread.

(1) Your questions are very good ones, and many 'noobs' would not even think to ask the, so +1 to you for that.

(2) We all seem to have ignored the last question. Some the best advice I've ever heard was 'watch the singer, listen to the drummer' - they will give you your cues for stops, change of section etc.

There's a thin line between being 'creative and melodic', which is a good thing and being 'busy', which is a bad thing. Your clip by Opeth is an example of being 'creative and melodic'. It adds something to the tune.
A busy bassline is one that doesn't add anything to the music being played. It just sounds like an insecure bass player saying 'look at me'.
Hit me with your rhythm stick is insanely busy but it still works.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0WGVgfjnLqc"]https://www.youtube....bed/0WGVgfjnLqc[/url]

As far as your question on keeping an eye on the other players is concerned. I play in a lot of bluesy type bands where there is never a set arrangement for many of the songs. I tend to keep my eyes glued on the singer and guitarist, as I never know when they're going to go off on a tangent and I'll need to follow them. I enjoy the unpredictability of that kind of gig.

Edited by gjones

Great thread, the kind that makes this forum live for me. It's dealing with one of the great bass-playing issues - when to cut lose and when to STFU. I think I was probably one of the needy show-off type players mentioned earlier. It's taken me a long time to calm down. I even call myself 'Root and five' to remind myself what I should be playing ...

[quote name='Andrej' timestamp='1428151365' post='2738525']
When and why do you look at the drummer or at the other instruments? What triggers that decision?
[/quote]

As Thomas Beecham almost said, don't look at the drummer, it only encourages him. :P

when is it cool to play anything? we are referencing taste and individual style fashion, music making...copying one artist or another, via a paradigm you might have is one thing...achieving flow, originality and playing in the moment is another goal and achievement...like an athlete who practices routines, develops muscle memory, and then competes subsequently, they are looking to be in the zone...that special place where all the really cool stuff lives...how to get there? practice performing, playing, improvising regularly...yeah, there's the 10,000 hour concept, however every proficient musician athlete artist has to and had to start somewhere..from a nascent stage to a skilled craftsmen....it's cool talking about it, and also cool doing it...happy shedding people...hone your own voice...carry your own flavor to the gig..and make sure it grooves!

For me the song and the melody are king, if your bass line acts as a groove to the drums and flirts with the melody (vocal to) it will be very catchy, one thing I find nice is one of the bands I was in has got back together, without me, no grief there, but people are still humming the bass lines, much to both of my successors annoyance, as I created them, and the fans still know it as Melody is worth its weight in gold, the bass is a guitar that has its own melodic abilities, good luck mate.