Why become a member? ×

Orange OB1-500 Review

Billy Apple

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1430759099' post='2764340']
Great review, looks and sounds like a nice bit ok kit.
Any news on when these will be available in the shops?
cheers
thebassman
[/quote]

I've been trying to get a release date from the Orange UK HQ as well. No reply yet though :(

I decided to go for another Terror Bass in the end, due to price, weight, effects loop and the fact that I do like it's one dimension.

It's mainly gonna be used as a backup on your if the AD200 does anything silly anyway, but would still fancy a play on one of these new OB1 models.

Edited by Wooks79

Yeah, only tried it at low volume in the house so far, got the footswitch now as well so looking forward to trying it at our next band practice, which unfortunately isn't for a couple of weeks. From what I've heard in the house though I don't think it's going to disappoint.

Hi Sean, thanks for the review - I really rather fancy the 300W version to marry with that lovely Purple Chili cab I bought off of you. Think they'd be a good match?

Watched Dan Veal's review on iguitar website and confirms my suspicion that this is the head I've been waiting for. I do love the flexibility of my little TC BH250, but whilst its a jack of all trades, its a master of none!

Ta
Phil

Edited by disgrace of bass

[quote name='disgrace of bass' timestamp='1432110301' post='2778145']
Hi Sean, thanks for the review - I really rather fancy the 300W version to marry with that lovely Purple Chili cab I bought off of you. Think they'd be a good match?
[/quote]

I think they would be a great match. I thought the TKS cabs I tried out tonally similar to the PC. Is there a dealer in your area who has any of these in? perhaps you could take the b=cab along to give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on mine, used at volume yesterday in band practice, awesome, I like my Terror 500 but this thing blows it away, it seems to have so much more of everything including volume, the speakers in my Dubster were plainly moving much more than when I play with the Terror Bass. I don't suppose for a minute it'll be everyone's amp, but I'd say to anyone playing rock, metal or punk check these if you're in the market for a new head.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to test out the Orange ob1 500 recently with a few different cabs: Ampeg 610hlf, SWR 610 goliath sr, and Fender pro neo 610. Upon plugging in, I found a very punchy, warm tone with all the controls at noon. The eq is pretty effective, and allows one to push the mids, add significant bass (or less), and treble to taste. I compared it to an svt 3 pro, and found them to offer very similar output, and capable solid "classic rock" tone. The orange definitely seems more versatile than the tb500. It certainly has its own tone, but not quite as "baked in" from my experience with the tb500. In that regard, it seems a bit more open to different styles of music. In comparison with the 3 pro, I felt the Ampeg may have had just a touch more definition with a bit more upper mid definition/focus. That said, the Orange was still plenty warm, with a touch more lows. The Orange's eq can get quite close to that Ampeg tone, however, and offer its own unique flavor.

The overdrive on the ob1-500 was pretty cool, though I honestly prob wouldn't use it much more than very subtly. Increasing the "harmonics" does punch up the upper mids a tad, and slightly saturates the signal (without much distortion). A pretty cool effect when one might want a lil push without full on crunch.

Comparing from memory of the Fender Bassman 500, the Orange is definitely a bit more to "plug n play". In particular, I found the mids of the Orange a bit easier to dial in right away, and create a full sound that would cut through the mix pretty well. The Bassman 500 is no slouch though, and has a nice warm, refined, classic Fender tone. If I had to pick one, I might personally lean toward the Orange for its simplicity, but the Bassman has its own sound that kicks too. Both amps are capable of plenty of volume...After playing a few different amps the last few months, including the new v-4b reissue, I'm still making up my mind which amp suits my style best. But, these are all cool amps with unique tones/features to offer.

• 1 year later...

Was looking forward to reading the review which has described the amp very well however the soundbits aren't available now. Shame as that would have let me hear exactly what we were all talking about.
I've used the AD200b with an Ampeg 8x10 and was stunned with the tone and was hoping this might produce similar tone without the unreliability of all tube amps.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

• 1 year later...

Had one of these from new since they came out in 2015, was very happy with it on purchase and I recall the rave reviews at the time, though wondering what people make of it after a couple of years? In many ways I've been disappointed with it, especially the reliability; I loaned it at one gig to a friend, and the amp and speaker (an Ashdown 8 ohm 500 watt cab) both blew inexplicably, and Orange charged I think £130 to fix it. The output transistors were shorted and the power amp PCB needed to be replaced. Since it's repair, the power light is intermittent, although the amp plays fine. So I'm constantly worried about it when using it really, which is a shame because I mainly use it as a spare. I also find the volume control quite inconsistent, with the volume on about '1' being fairly loud, at noon being of course a lot, lot louder, though beyond that doesn't seem to get much louder. It's hard to control.