Why become a member? ×

Retro six, dually or other options?

zacclowes

Thinking about getting a new cab. Have a barefaced 2x15 that I love the sound of and fits my matamp gt200 mk1 on top pretty good. But I have a bigger valves amp on the way that I want to use and I would like a cab big enough to sit it on top of.
New amp is a verellen which are 64cm wide.
Retro six10 is 62cm so that would fit ok
Dually is the same width. So ok again.

What other options are there in light weight,good sounding, well designed cabs that will do real lows? Will the retro six10 do lows like the 2x15 of there's i have.

Will be keeping the 2x15 still. So maybe the retro cab sounding different would give me more options...
Any thoughts?

[quote name='zacclowes' timestamp='1427488401' post='2731156']
It's this model.
I'm not in the news letter. If I add myself now can I get the info?
[/quote]

I've just compared some rough simulations of the Six10, Super Fifteen (your one), and Vintage (Wooks' one). I don't think you could tell the difference between a Super Fifteen and Vintage if you were blindfold.

Basically the Six10 can play about 4dB louder through the upper bass (120-250Hz), about 1dB louder through the mid bass (60-120Hz) and about 6dB louder through the low bass (30-60Hz). It's a monster!

awesome. I have been gassing for the retro six10 for a while from the but hard to tell what it will sound like for the website. from what you say im nearly sold.
What's the wait time at the moment?

Signed up earlier.

Thanks

Edited by zacclowes

[quote name='zacclowes' timestamp='1427495615' post='2731263']What's the wait time at the moment?[/quote]

Just a few weeks!

We need to get some recordings done for our overseas customers to hear it. In the UK the one month trial is cheap enough to use (return shipping being the customer's only cost) that I'd say it's best to get one and have a good few weeks of noise making with it. But you can't really do that if it's been shipped thousands of miles because that return journey would be pricey...

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1427492948' post='2731207']
Get hold of one of the older Barefaced Vintage 2x15s if you can, they are nice and wide, and sound excellent!

I think yours is the super15, so the vintage is wider -

[/quote]

That photo is pure filth!

Liking the sound of the Six10 more and more, the Vintage was a superb cab.

[quote name='zacclowes' timestamp='1427495079' post='2731252']
Beautiful!
Could You know tell me the width of that cab?
[/quote]

I will measure it for you in the morning :)

Jealous that your getting a Verellen! I have the Meatsmoke Preamp pedal, and would love the full head.

Edited by Wooks79

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1427492948' post='2731207']
Get hold of one of the older Barefaced Vintage 2x15s if you can, they are nice and wide, and sound excellent!

I think yours is the super15, so the vintage is wider -

[/quote] go on - give us a wee description of how those three cabs sound...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1427576463' post='2731983']
:D

I dinnae mean that! I meant from each other. The matamp looks nice
[/quote]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]The Matamp 610 I have is by far and away the nicest sounding cab I have used, but I tend to never gig it often due to the weight. It is SO heavy. I keep it in our practice room and use it every practice, and love the sound. It has its own sound that it adds to the amps.[/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I find that the OBC115 is nice, but doesn't quite have the volume or the tone that I get from the 610, but if I didn't have them to put side by side I would be happy with it, as I wouldn't know any better. If anything, just a bit too little clarity for me and my settings.[/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]I tend to always gig the Barefaced Vintage 2x15 as it has a great sound, but more transparent than the 610, so have to change a bit to compensate. It's stupidly light to carry and easy to get around.[/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If I had to rate them purely on sound alone, Matamp 610 would be top, as it does what I like. [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If I had to pick one to gig, its the Barefaced every single time, as I have to lug them around![/font][/color]

Love the punch and tightness of sealed cabs. But I couldnt do without the lows and clarity of the barefaced now. With the egc bass it's just perfection.
I have a weird ampeg 8x8 cab that does the tone I like when I want mids and punch. Thing sounds better than the ampeg 8x10 I also had.
Really excited about the verellen.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1427579635' post='2732036']
Wooks, do you know what drivers are in the Matamp?
[/quote]

Sorry, absolutely no idea Alex.

I think your Retro610 would be my absolute perfect cab, I just have no money :(

Edited by Wooks79