Why become a member? ×

MB Players School combo vs. BG250 115

ianrendall

Hi there,

I'm looking to replace my TC BG250 115 with something smaller, as I am recently having to play local am dram stuff in some very tight spaces (I'm talking sat-on-amp, music-stand-in-face kind of tight, and I'd kind of like to be able to sit on a chair!)

Budget is tight and I've heard a lot of good things about the Markbass Players School combo.

My main gig apart from am dram is a big band (20 of us - trumpets, saxes, a guitarist and drummer that luckily don't seek the limelight with heavy handed playing.) We are very rarely miked up, including drums, and if we are, it's more for distributing the sound at lower volume rather than sheer loudness.

I am aware that the Markbass only puts out 150W compared to my TC's 250w. BUT, in the past I have used a 100W GK MB150S for close to 10 years on its own with no volume problems and the musical director is not shy in telling me to turn up or down, so I know he is paying attention to the bass. Granted, I did on occasion have to angle the GK or raise it up, but that's an acceptable compromise for me.

The charts we read from (on music stands!) are all arranged so that there is no competing for frequencies, at least from a bass perspective, so I have no concerns on that front - I have my own sonic space.

For reference, the EQ on the amp is set flat with the volume and gain slightly under halfway, and the 3EQ on my Stingray is mostly flat, save for the occasional tiny treb/bass boost, and I have a fairly light touch.

Question is, will the 150W Markbass (on its own, no ext. cab for the moment) be good enough to replace the 250W TC?

Budget is tight, mind, and I'll give you three guesses as to why...

Thanks chaps