Why become a member? ×

Terms and phrases

gadgie

[quote name='Froggy' timestamp='1427359083' post='2729218']
I'll hold my hand up and admit to being a grammar nazi, a spelling nazi, and an apostrophe nazi.

[/quote]
[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1427369424' post='2729388']
Don't you think sometimes it might be down to a poor education ?

Or sometimes typos or predictive text...
[/quote]

Or maybe, he is actually a Nazi :lol:

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1427283472' post='2728198']
I
"Oh my God" shrieked at high volume by most females under 25 or worse, actually shouting "OMG"

[/quote]

There are certain circumstances where I might find that more than acceptable.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1427530824' post='2731417']
www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/by-hook-or-by-crook.html

My English teacher told us it was the first one.

But us pupils were a bunch of peasants anyway. ;)
[/quote]

Thanks. That was quite interesting. So the person who used it to me was using it correctly when they were sayin that they'd get it done by "hook or by crook." They were simply saying that they'd get it done "by any means possible."

Hmmmm.......are we Grumpy Old Men / Women, or what? ;)

Not too upset by fashions in colloquial speech (except possibly "like" for "said", which really does grate....) - English has been evolving and absorbing since Chaucer was a lad, and white youth has been copying the slang of black youth since the Jazz age of the early 20th century

What REALLY annoys me is modern management-speak, of which there are a good few examples in this thread. Not a day goes by when some jumped up little gobsh*te tells me that "we need to be mindful of having a conversation with x in respect of y" rather than "we should talk to x about y" etc etc :(

Shaggy, I agree with you regarding management speak.
When we got called up to global head office meetings we used to play a game called "buzz word bingo".
The twelve year olds in suits with laptops and MBAs could not understand either our frivolity or how we made a business work by just getting on with the job.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1427545321' post='2731589']
Unnecessary use of the present participle of verbs: "I'm loving your bass", "I'm liking this book" etc.
[/quote]
Yeah, I hate 'hating'. Why you hating on me.

I also dislike when people say hashtag.

And this trend of people saying 'Just saying'

And people who use 'simples' are ***** in my book. Talk about being weak minded. To be influenced by a f***ing annoying advert that's there to take money off you. Then on top of that thinking it's cool. Oh dear!

I don't know if it's been covered but why do people say something's "cheap at half the price"?
Of course it bloody is, that would be half price, 50% off.
Unless it was extremely overpriced to start with, which pretty much makes the saying the opposite of the reason people seem to say it.

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1427552369' post='2731684']
What REALLY annoys me is modern management-speak, of which there are a good few examples in this thread. Not a day goes by when some jumped up little gobsh*te tells me that "we need to be mindful of having a conversation with x in respect of y" rather than "we should talk to x about y" etc etc :(
[/quote]

"Leverage" as a verb. I hate, loathe, and detest that, especially as no-one has a clue what they actually mean by it.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1427650327' post='2732700']

"Leverage" as a verb. I hate, loathe, and detest that, especially as no-one has a clue what they actually mean by it.
[/quote]

I'd say that it's important to optimise the transparency of any leverage, vis a vis the dynamics of the current situation

:)

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1427577708' post='2732002'] Made-up past tenses - or at least their spelling: He dove into the river. He snuck out while nobody was looking. He lead me up the garden path. [/quote]

ah that reminds me.....drug

as in we drug the buckets up the hill by hand.

Sorry....I made a mistake in my comment.

Edited by gadgie

This is an especially middle-class one but my personal pet hate is when historians on TV or radio use the present tense. "And what happens here is that Henry the Eighth realises that he isn't going to get what he wants unless he divorces AGAIN..." etc. It's history - use the PAST TENSE! The clue is in the bloody name...

Here's one I use when I'm trying to be cool,talking to folks at gigs during a brake. I use it for anything, somebody could be talking about anything and I'll say;

[i]"Oh wow, I'm sorry I totally flaked out on that one"[/i]

Blue