Why become a member? ×

Terms and phrases

gadgie

[quote name='thehillscorporation' timestamp='1427379964' post='2729646']
I promised myself I wouldn't get too involved in this, but, in response to icastle, no I wouldn't use 110% to indicate an increase any more than I would score something as 11 out of 10! & tauzero, if a cake had increased in price by four times it's original price...then it's an increase of four times, not 400%. However, my waistline has increased by eating too much cake! ;)
[/quote]

Assuming you're driving in the UK, you measure your speed in miles per hour. You'd feel pretty silly if that meant that you couldn't travel for any longer than an hour and you needed to get from Birmingham to Edinburgh.

[quote name='Froggy' timestamp='1427373129' post='2729468']
Yes, it could be down to those things, and of course, nobody is perfect, however I see the same people making the same mistakes over and over again on places like Facebook etc. Many of these people have the same education as I do, and were taught by the same teachers that I was. I'm sure many of you have noticed the same at different places around the internet. Education in this country isn't that bad when it comes to the basics of literacy, so there really isn't much excuse for it.
[/quote]

Ah, but.
Like a lot of others, I was educated in a 60s secondary modern. I read a lot as a kid, but trust me, I was the exception, not everyone did, So I can at least spell and use a comma and a full stop. I was never taught any grammar after primary school, I dont know the 'rules' so make mistakes.

There must be loads of people in the same boat as me.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1427382335' post='2729691'] You'd feel pretty silly if that meant that you couldn't travel for any longer than an hour and you needed to get from Birmingham to Edinburgh.
[/quote]

Not if you're Jeremy Clarkson!

...sorry, wrong thread. :ph34r:

J.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1427382335' post='2729691']
Assuming you're driving in the UK, you measure your speed in miles per hour. You'd feel pretty silly if that meant that you couldn't travel for any longer than an hour and you needed to get from Birmingham to Edinburgh.
[/quote]
Sorry, I don't see the relevance of what you're saying here? & why would I be limited to one hour?

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1427388670' post='2729808']

Ah, but.
Like a lot of others, I was educated in a 60s secondary modern. I read a lot as a kid, but trust me, I was the exception, not everyone did, So I can at least spell and use a comma and a full stop. I was never taught any grammar after primary school, I dont know the 'rules' so make mistakes.

There must be loads of people in the same boat as me.
[/quote]

Yes, I expect there are many in the same boat as you. To be fair, basschat is far better in these respects than many places on the Internet. I didn't make very good use of my education, I work as a lorry driver, if you want to see terrible grammar and spelling try looking at lorry driver's Facebook posts. Some of them are far below primary school level!

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1427389485' post='2729824']
Not if you're Jeremy Clarkson!

...sorry, wrong thread. :ph34r:

J.
[/quote]

Off topic, sorry. But if you watch TG closely,Clarkson doesn't go fast in all those flash cars.
Look out of the windows when he's driving and he aint goin fast. Try and see whos is driving when you see cars flying around and you can NEVER see the driver -unless its the Stig.

Surprised no one else has noticed that.

I can't stand shop assistants asking me "Is that everything?". I usually reply "No, you've got loads of other stuff but I'm not buying it".

Standards of literacy have been mentioned. Maybe social media/texting hasn't helped, but there are people of mature age who should know a lot better. A friend recently posted something on FB in which he described himself as "mayed up" with something or other.

A recent addition to teen vocabulary is 'bae', meaning 'babe' as in anybody regarded as attractive, this despite the fact that it's a Danish word for 'poo'.

I hate it when i buy something, and the directions have the word color. Fine if i bought it in America. If you import something to the UK, then use the proper spelling. Another hate of mine is shipping. What happened to post and packing. The item comes via a van, not a ship. Oh, and you go to a till to pay for something, and the assisstant asks if you found everything you need. If i never, i would have asked the floor assisstant in Pets At Home long before i went to the till

Edited by timmo

[quote name='thehillscorporation' timestamp='1427389594' post='2729826']
Sorry, I don't see the relevance of what you're saying here? & why would I be limited to one hour?
[/quote]

Per means "for each". So "per cent" means "for each hundred", and you're saying that you can't go over that hundred. Therefore, as "per hour" means "for each hour", by the same logic, you can't go over that hour.

[size=5][sub]When somebody does that inverted commas thing with there hands..I just ask why they are making bunny rabbit shapes..any need.[/sub]

[sub]Also when British people say "do the math"[/sub][/size]

Edited by fatwull