Why become a member? ×

Terms and phrases

gadgie

We have a well know company in our place just now telling us how to do our jobs by writing guff to do with various figures on those wipe boards and he said the other day "If you dont have any problems then you have a problem."

WTF does that mean???? :angry:

In some ways, the standard of illiteracy astonishes me, and I wonder how the hell they managed to get through all those years of school without even knowing how to spell "or"?
Increasingly, I find myself reading things like:- "6 are 7 months MOT left" and "pick one are the other" or "should I get the white scratchplate are the red one?"

Really?

[quote name='BigAlonBass' timestamp='1427326377' post='2729075']
In some ways, the standard of illiteracy astonishes me, and I wonder how the hell they managed to get through all those years of school without even knowing how to spell "or"?
Increasingly, I find myself reading things like:- "6 are 7 months MOT left" and "pick one are the other" or "should I get the white scratchplate are the red one?"

Really?
[/quote]

Average adult reading age in the UK is currently 11.

And that's the average, so for all of us who managed to go beyond that, by any margin, there is someone with below average ability.

I think we take for granted our literacy. An acquaintance of mine, being retired, decided it would be interesting (and get him out from under his wife's feet) to act as the chaser up and collector of outstanding returns, during the last national census. On the small local authority estate at the bottom of the village, he had three households who constantly fobbed him off, until he reminded them a fine would be imposed if they failed to comply. Only at that point did they explain that none of the adults could read or write, so couldn't complete the forms. He duly sat with them and completed the census for them. The village population is just over 4,000.

Edited by The Admiral

I'm not really bothered about peoples grammer, spelling etc... Ths is an informal site where we talk about basses, as long as I understand the point a poster is trying to make I'm not really fussed about the rest of it.

Surley the point of language is to be able to communicate a point? a few spelling mistakes or using "less" instead of "fewer" etc dosn't really hinder my understanding of what a poster meant...

life is too short and all that.

I'll hold my hand up and admit to being a grammar nazi, a spelling nazi, and an apostrophe nazi. To my mind it's just laziness, excepting those who are truly dyslexic as opposed to those who use dyslexia as an excuse for their laziness.

I'm sure someone will be upset with me at this post, but I've never been one to mince my words.

[edited to correct spelling, although I don't mine my words either]

Edited by Froggy

[quote name='Froggy' timestamp='1427359083' post='2729218']
I'll hold my hand up and admit to being a grammar nazi, a spelling nazi, and an apostrophe nazi. To my mind it's just laziness, excepting those who are truly dyslexic as opposed to those who use dyslexia as an excuse for their laziness.

I'm sure someone will be upset with me at this post, but I've never been one to [b]mine[/b] my words.
[/quote]

Hmm. Is that wher you dig yourself a hole ? :D

[quote name='Froggy' timestamp='1427359083' post='2729218']
I'll hold my hand up and admit to being a grammar nazi, a spelling nazi, and an apostrophe nazi. To my mind it's just laziness.

[/quote]

Don't you think sometimes it might be down to a poor education ?

Or sometimes typos or predictive text...

Yes, it could be down to those things, and of course, nobody is perfect, however I see the same people making the same mistakes over and over again on places like Facebook etc. Many of these people have the same education as I do, and were taught by the same teachers that I was. I'm sure many of you have noticed the same at different places around the internet. Education in this country isn't that bad when it comes to the basics of literacy, so there really isn't much excuse for it.

I like using phrases in an unfamiliar context, for no other reason than I find it funny, usually they're robbed from a comedy that I've heard..

However, I struggle with people who finish sentences off with a rising cadence in their voice that finishes with a non existent question.

Edited by No lust in Jazz

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1427213175' post='2727298']
Also Rig. This is my Bass Rig.

Is it fully articulated? Do you run with the radio handle "Rubber Duck"?

No this is your amplifier and associated peripherals and accessories.
[/quote]

What on earth has being articulated and being a rubber duck have to do with having both testicles undescended?

[quote name='thehillscorporation' timestamp='1427241884' post='2727924']
I suppose I should point out that anything over 100% isn't really logical. % = per cent = one part in a hundred. Ergo, NOT one part in a random number MORE THAN a hundred. Oh, and not 'percent' either (unless you're American). I could say I'm not normally this pedantic,....but I am ;)
[/quote]

As it happens, anything over 100% is perfectly logical but only if you're not talking about a subdivision of something. So 400% of a cake is just silly (and very, very fattening), whereas a rise of 400% in the price of cake means that the price is now five times what it was, so your waistline is safer.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1427282270' post='2728179']
I enjoy winding up my guitarist by referring to his guitar as his "Epiphany".
It is of course "Epiphone", but as soon as he bit once..... I can't help myself now :lol:
[/quote]

When I first saw the name "Epifani", I mentally pronounced it "Eppy Fanny" before it clicked.

I promised myself I wouldn't get too involved in this, but, in response to icastle, no I wouldn't use 110% to indicate an increase any more than I would score something as 11 out of 10! & tauzero, if a cake had increased in price by four times it's original price...then it's an increase of four times, not 400%. However, my waistline has increased by eating too much cake! ;)

Oh, and to keep on topic....fill out this form? I usually fill IN forms. And the constant addition of 'for' in front of 'free', whats wrong with just 'free' or 'for nothing' ?
:)