Why become a member? ×

Better known covers for Funky Blues Band

KennysFord

Hey Folks,
After a long time and a lot of searching I've managed to find a good drummer and guitarist to put round a very good quality Female vocalist I've been friends with for a good while.
We've had a working list of 20 or so tunes for ages but finding the right musicians has been a real struggle, hopefully after today we've finally found the right guys where we can get something motoring ahead.

The style of the Band is very Funky / Groove based Blues, think Susan Tedeschi, Reba Russell, Shamekia Copeland kind of stuff but I'm thinking we'll also need some better known covers to throw in for the pub circuit.
We're not looking for the kind of "Sex on Fire" kind of better known material, more something that would fit with the style of the band or that we can change up to suit. No Classic Rock please guys but any suggestions for material to look at would be most helpful.
Thanks in advance.
B)

Edited by kennyrodgers

We used to do numbers by Etta James, Ann Peebles, Betty Wright, Bonnie Raitt and Koko Taylor.

Also by Keb Mo, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Lucky Peterson, Johnny Laing, Brook Benton, Delbert McClinton and Jon Cleary.

There's a lot to choose from out there.

One of my bands plays, amongst other things, funky rock stuff. We do a few pacey numbers but mainly what we play is all about the groove - very laid back. Sounds like you might be looking for a similar feel? Just looking at some of the funkier stuff in our set list we cover:

Cajun Moon, a JJ Cale track, in the style if Maria Muldaur. Nice and funky.
Black Friday - possibly more rocky than funky but a nice groove.
Spooky - Atlanta Rhythm Section.
Hound Dog - split between a back-beat and shuffle.
Down In Hollywood - Ry Cooder
Long Train running - our own arrangement, kind of turns it inside out but works well. [url="https://soundcloud.com/spracks/long-train-running?in=spracks/sets/illegal-tender"]https://soundcloud.c.../illegal-tender[/url]
Shaky Ground - Bernie Marsden - some nice rockier bits in that.
Midnight At The Oasis - slightly more up tempo than Maria Muldaur but not quite Brand New Heavies.
Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - the Robben Ford version. Slow and soulful.
Why Did You Do it - Stretch re-recorded this a couple of years ago for a reunion and it is a rockier version.
Six Blade Knife - Dire Straits - nice groove.
Breakdown - Tom Petty - again, nice groove.
Favourite Shirts - Haircut 100. Frantic paced funk but with 2 x guitars and no horns it is a bit rockier.

I wanted to do Funk #49 by Joe Walsh but when we tried it something wasn't quite right so it was abandoned.

Edited by Paul S

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, some good stuff in there !! It's very much appreciated.
Truth is, we have a full set list plus some spare if we we're to play a Blues Night or Blues Club whatever, my concern is that for your normal run of the mill pub gig we are a bit lacking in more "popular" stuff that would fit the style.

geoffbyrne, agreed mate, I would be joining you if god forbid we played the first bar. :lol:
B)

The problem why most bands struggle when outside the box in pubs is lack of keys and that
means gtr and bass have such a load to carry and that makes them very predictable.
But getting a good one is not easy. Add in female lead vocals which lend themselves to soul
and things are getting thin...for a funk blues band.

Funky blues will do ok in pubs but some tracks can die a death at parties/functions.

But........... I'm all for bands being adventurous with their choice of numbers..

It is difficult not hearing the band..I pick numbers when I know what each player is good at... or rather, not crap at.
Prog gtrs and funk riffs are a BIG dangerous area, for example... ditto prog drums and funk in general..?? :lol: ;)

Hi Buddy,
We're a five piece, vox, guit, drums, bass and keys. Thankfully the keys player in this band is nothing short of fantastic, a stark contrast to the guy in the function band I play in, that's another story !! :lol:
I won't be aiming the band at the function circuit but if that type of gig came along then sure, we'd do it. There's a relatively decent Blues Circuit round the North West but we'll need to cater for the Dog and Duck crowd as well......within reason.
B)

Edited by kennyrodgers