Why become a member? ×

Where have all the 'good' posters gone..?

JTUK

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1427137168' post='2726310']
It's a bit annoying when seasoned members criticise someone for posting about something that may have been talked about many times in the past. Short of trawling through every thread to check, how are newer members to know, it's been talked about?

Forums need new blood and if someone wants to ask which strings you prefer, I will partake in that discussion because they are looking for feedback. I'm not going to tell them to go and look at such and such a thread because it's all been done before.

Let's have more understanding that not everyone knows what's been posted before :)
[/quote]

+1

I'm still answering questions about impedance that have been asked, and subsequently answered, hundreds of times before.
It takes me two seconds to answer, or I can spend five minutes hunting down the previous time it was answered, copying and pasting the link and coming up with a sarcastic retort.
I'd rather spend the two seconds and help.

Things move on as well.
The 'right answer' three years ago might have been superseded by a much better answer today.
At one point, the 'best setup for metal' would have been a Hofner violin bass, flatwound strings and a Vox amp. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1427114366' post='2725853']
Not really fair to exclude Mods from that, Ted. They're members too and they have a huge influence on the feel of the forum.
[/quote]

Interesting point - as I've always felt less able to post, since Kiwi asked me to help out. There's an element of "the shadow you cast", I'm sure, but my posting has dropped off.

I do a good routine in chasing up reluctant buyers; late-shipping sellers; and complainants of all colours, mind - so I'm no less busy, mind :)

But, it applies here. So, here's my diplomatic response for the delicate of opinion :)

People have gone. Where they've banned themselves, tough - although I think these should be reviewed over time.

Where they've made a decision, so be it. They've considered their reasons, and done whatever they feel best for them, and all power to them for it. That said, it's absolutely within their gift to choose to return also - and if, or when, they feel that that's best for them, I'm sure they'll fit right back in :)

But does it mean the "ethos" has changed?

No, not necessarily. We still talk bass, and we still look after each other - a recent, very delicate, thread has shown that. To say the "ethos" has changed feels, if you'll permit me, that the "old guard" [i]were [/i]Basschat, which feels a little conceited. Everyone reading this right now [i]is[/i] Basschat, and Basschat - in so far as a forum can allow for it - will be what you make of it.

I think, rather, that the "personality" has changed - as that is tied to particular members and their contributions. And there are plenty of other personalities out there who can add their stamp, and it will be interesting to see what it becomes.

Within that I might like to know a bit more about what the plan for the site is; what the rules are; whatever it might be - but the site goes on. I'm happy to give it the time to evolve.

It is dead? No.

Are these growing pains? Oh yes.

Are these the after of one member getting themselves banned? I think that's likely.

Is it a shame people have left? I could be the Churchill dog, oh yes

But the "new" people aren't bad? They're bloody good, the same as we all were when we were new :)

Will this be quoted on FB? I don't know, I doubt I'm that interesting ;)

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1427137143' post='2726308']
I like to cut the scone in half, then spread jam before cream on one half and cream before jam on the other, people just can't cope with that.
[/quote]

Burn the witch!

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1427143169' post='2726449']

Interesting point - as I've always felt less able to post, since Kiwi asked me to help out. There's an element of "the shadow you cast", I'm sure, but my posting has dropped off.

I do a good routine in chasing up reluctant buyers; late-shipping sellers; and complainants of all colours, mind - so I'm no less busy, mind :)

But, it applies here. So, here's my diplomatic response for the delicate of opinion :)

People have gone. Where they've banned themselves, tough - although I think these should be reviewed over time.

Where they've made a decision, so be it. They've considered their reasons, and done whatever they feel best for them, and all power to them for it. That said, it's absolutely within their gift to choose to return also - and if, or when, they feel that that's best for them, I'm sure they'll fit right back in :)

But does it mean the "ethos" has changed?

No, not necessarily. We still talk bass, and we still look after each other - a recent, very delicate, thread has shown that. To say the "ethos" has changed feels, if you'll permit me, that the "old guard" [i]were [/i]Basschat, which feels a little conceited. Everyone reading this right now [i]is[/i] Basschat, and Basschat - in so far as a forum can allow for it - will be what you make of it.

I think, rather, that the "personality" has changed - as that is tied to particular members and their contributions. And there are plenty of other personalities out there who can add their stamp, and it will be interesting to see what it becomes.

Within that I might like to know a bit more about what the plan for the site is; what the rules are; whatever it might be - but the site goes on. I'm happy to give it the time to evolve.

It is dead? No.

Are these growing pains? Oh yes.

Are these the after of one member getting themselves banned? I think that's likely.

Is it a shame people have left? I could be the Churchill dog, oh yes

But the "new" people aren't bad? They're bloody good, the same as we all were when we were new :)

Will this be quoted on FB? I don't know, I doubt I'm that interesting ;)
[/quote]

Good post

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1427143169' post='2726449']

[/quote]

This point is an interesting one. At the last major round of moderator appointment (over which IIRC one or two left because they weren't 'promoted' :rolleyes:) a couple of people who had edged previously into poacher territory became game keepers, and much better forumites as a result of their need to post more carefully.

There will always be people in and out of forums. It's often good to take a break if one has been part of something long term, but it can also be very difficult to return afterward, and most of the time it's better to move forward than look back. To be honest, the days of forums being THE way communities network are mostly over, and Facebook has taken their place - I'd say basschat has fared better than many comparable forums.

I joined in Dec 2009, and the impression I had was of more older, gentler members and an atmosphere of gentle tolerance & self-regulation. Since I've seen the change take place after joining. I assume I must have, at least partially and however reluctantly, contributed to this change, and certainly can't blame the newbs. :o

What were 'good posters' before they were good ? We're they 'fairly good' posters, or ' posters showing promise,' or were they at some stage, 'newbies,' to use that awful word.... Perhaps one day some of us 'newbies' might turn into ' mega posters' and write interesting things, and be full of wisdom, and have people mourn us when we are gone.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1427152034' post='2726612']
Perhaps one day some of us 'newbies' might turn into ' mega posters' and write interesting things, and be full of wisdom, and have people mourn us when we are gone.
[/quote]

Everyone was a 'newbie' once.

It's purely a post count thing with an arbitrary level - it certainly doesn't mean that you have nothing interesting or wise to say.

I've seen people with 5 posts to their name making points that stop me in my tracks and I've seen people with 1000 posts talking total nonsense. :)

Hi icastle....and we'll said. What I was trying to say in a pretty sarcastic way about this ' good posters' thing was 'so what' ......let them go....I don't know who they are, and don't care. I am pretty new to this site, and enjoy a lot of what is on here. I have asked for advice, and help....and got it, without checking to see who was giving it to me. I was just glad of it when I needed it. What has become apparent in this thread is there is some sort of a pecking order with 'newbies' at the bottom of the heap, and the ' good posters' at the top. What a load of claptrap. We are all contributors, all have opinions, and all should be seen as equal within this forum.... The very fact that the thread is titled 'Where have all the good posters gone' (whoever they may be) makes me feel a bit second best. Who is to say I am not a good poster, or someone finds my stuff interesting. If Basschat disappeared in a puff of smoke, my life would not collapse...it's just a bunch of bass players talking bass type things and having a bit of fun. Leave it like that and enjoy it.

Reading through this thread I really can't believe that so many people are tip toeing around the elephant in the room - Waynepunkdude. His banning was something of a watershed for many of the recently 'disappeared' on here who find it difficult to believe that someone who had helped out dozens -literally dozens and dozens - of people on here has suddenly become [i]persona non grata[/i]. He'd spent a lot of time and money helping people he'd never met and occasionally got his fingers burnt, and yet still offered to help others. That his presence was somehow detrimental to the community is difficult to understand - impossible in fact, given the leeway allowed to others apparently trolling these boards. He was hardly a controversial poster aside perhaps from his evident dislike of Apple products. That this is the 'worst' I can recall of his posts perhaps says something of his character on here, unless you'd describe a dislike of sunburst finishes a hanging offence.

It was, IMHO, a poor day for the community (if not necessarily the forum) when he was banned, and I'd still like to know exactly why he was.

I like the way BC is moderated. There are other sites, where if you disagree with a mod, they kick you off the site permanently.

I do think the Ric thread should be shut down.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1427159066' post='2726666']
I like the way BC is moderated. [b]There are other sites, where if you disagree with a mod, they kick you off the site permanently.[/b]

I do think the Rick thread should be shut down.

Blue
[/quote]
Absolutely Blue.

And if I wanted a site like that I'd be using it all the time.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1427156963' post='2726654']
It was, IMHO, a poor day for the community (if not necessarily the forum) when he was banned, and I'd still like to know exactly why he was.
[/quote]

You're obviously totally entitled to your opinion, but we never make public the ins and outs of conversations we've had with a member.

The situation you're asking about simply isn't something that the Mods are going to discuss, regardless of who it is.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1427159066' post='2726666']
I do think the Rick thread should be shut down.
[/quote]

If we're talking about the same Rick thread, it's now being reused as... a cheese joke thread (I know! I didn't see that one coming either!).

The only nastiness in there now is going to be erm... Limburger, at least I hope that's what it is...

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1427155584' post='2726647']
What has become apparent in this thread is there is some sort of a pecking order with 'newbies' at the bottom of the heap, and the 'good posters' at the top. What a load of claptrap. We are all contributors, all have opinions, and all should be seen as equal within this forum...
[/quote]

You're totally right about everyone being equal and most people get that.

It's a bit like meeting a group of people in a pub for the first time and you only know one person.
It takes a while for you to 'get' them and a little while for them to 'get' you, but you'll all be staggering off to the kebab shop together a few hours later as if you've been part of 'the gang' for years. :)

This is the bit where you tell me you're teetotal or have an allergy to kebabs. :D

The very fact that the thread is titled 'Where have all the good posters gone' (whoever they may be) makes me feel a bit second best. Who is to say I am not a good poster, or someone finds my stuff interesting.
[/quote]

I think 'good' was an unfortunate word more than anything else.
You've made some interesting points though - so definitely a tick in the box there. :)

What has become apparent in this thread is there is some sort of a pecking order with 'newbies' at the bottom of the heap, and the ' good posters' at the top. What a load of claptrap.
[/quote]

:) With all respect I do not recognise this 'pecking order' of which you speak nor have I seen evidence of such in this thread. Seems to me the main preoccupations over the last six pages have been:

(i) the sudden and - for some - mysterious departures of a number of forum regulars who have contributed much to the gaiety of the forum

(ii) a perception that aggressive or disputatious posting is on the increase

I mention this not to argue or to chide but to relieve you of any unnecessary misapprehensions. BassChat welcomes newbs; on the vanishingly infrequent occasions when someone has had a pop at a newb the offender has usually been pulled up by other members before the mods even have a chance to react.

Enjoy your time here and don't worry about pecking orders; they don't exist. :)