Why become a member? ×

Best Minnie 800D alternative?

plunkrock

I have recently picked up a pre I really like and have been looking at ways to amplify it in a small package (I don't drive so if everything can fit in a gig bag that would be awesome)

The Minnie D would be ideal but out of my price range at the moment, so looking at other Class D heads I can run into the effects loop on. I had an Orange TB500 before, I would prefer something flat but if that's the loudest option might pick up another.

Anyone have any experience with this? Models I am considering: GK MB500, Ampeg PF500, Aguilar ToneHammer etc.

[quote name='plunkrock' timestamp='1426939558' post='2723683']
I have recently picked up a pre I really like and have been looking at ways to amplify it in a small package
The Minnie D would be ideal but out of my price range at the moment, so looking at other Class D heads I can run into the effects loop on.
Anyone have any experience with this?
[/quote]

I have a Demeter mini; putting your pre into the return of a Markbass LM3 is so close that the differences aren't worth discussing.

[quote name='plunkrock' timestamp='1426939558' post='2723683']
I have recently picked up a pre I really like and have been looking at ways to amplify it in a small package (I don't drive so if everything can fit in a gig bag that would be awesome)

The Minnie D would be ideal but out of my price range at the moment, so looking at other Class D heads I can run into the effects loop on. I had an Orange TB500 before, I would prefer something flat but if that's the loudest option might pick up another.

Anyone have any experience with this? Models I am considering: GK MB500, Ampeg PF500, Aguilar ToneHammer etc.
[/quote]

The Minnie 800 uses the same ICE power amp module as the TH500, the G-K 800 twins, the Genz 900-9.x amps, and the Kustom KXB500, among others. If the G-K MB500 is loud enough for you, there are plenty of other amps that use that (smaller) ICE module as well. In many cases there can be somewhat different mojo from the manufacturer-added buffer/preamp at the EFX return or power amp input, so how that works with your particular preamp may be a little hard to predict without direct experience. I've tried running a few of my DIY preamps into the GK MB Fusion 500 power section, that worked just fine without really adding much GK-ness. IMHO the new ICE 700 watt module sounds a bit nicer than any of these, and will run without a fan if that matters to you, but I'm not familiar with any moderate budget implementations just yet.