Why become a member? ×

Why I sold my Rickenbacker Bass

Bronner

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1426930849' post='2723504']
Nobody forces me to eat rice pudding. Don't buy a Rickenbacker if you don't like them.[/quote]

I'm swear I'm not trying to force you to eat rice pudding.

I'm just sharing my opinion with people who are in the market for a bass that the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][font=arial, sans-serif]₤[/font][/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][font=arial, sans-serif]1500[/font][/size][/font][/color] price tag for a Rick will buy you a lot more bass with better tone and build quality elsewhere. If they want to buy one, that's their choice.

'You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat.'

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1426931493' post='2723513']
Can we just clarify Bronner, are you saying:

(1) Don't buy a Ric, they are sh!t;
(2) Don't buy a Ric unless you really really like it, because they are sh!t;
(3) I once owned a Ric that was sh!t, and further anecdotal evidence leads me to believe that all Rics are sh!t; or
(4) Something else we've all missed.
[/quote]

This is what I mean by the cult of Rickenbacker. If you want to quote me, there's a quote button. There's no need to fabricate imaginary quotes to prop-up a shoddy brand.

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1426924024' post='2723434']
But for the average player, who maybe buying their first bass, I'd just say look around before you buy a Rick because [color=#282828][font=arial, sans-serif]₤1,500 will buy you a lot of bass elsewhere. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, sans-serif](And to the guy who said Ricks sound great through Marshalls, so will a Japanese bass, and practically every other guitar or bass, with the added benefit that you can afford to own the Marshall amp and another brand bass for the same price as a Rick.)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=arial, sans-serif]The Japanese Greco Jazz bass is about [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=arial, sans-serif]₤150 ( 1/10th the price of a Rick); and it's a beautiful bass. For the price of a Rick you can have a free trip to Japan, buy a Marshall, and get a bass that sounds better than a real Rick (which sound 'clanky' as someone else pointed out).[/font][/color]

[url="http://www.tcgakki.com/search/?result&cp=4&kw=Greco"]http://www.tcgakki.c...t&cp=4&kw=Greco[/url]
[/quote]

Sorry for quoting myself above, but the other guy was incapable. He wanted to make a straw-man argument; speaks volumes about the product if you have to defend it like that.

[i][b]Here you can see Rickenbacker basses falling apart and many people making the same design, build-quality, and price criticisms that I made. [/b][/i]

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/rickenbacker-rant.1072625/

Edited by Bronner

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1426931819' post='2723522']
This is what I mean by the cult of Rickenbacker. If you want to quote me, there's a quote button. There's no need to fabricate imaginary quotes to prop-up a shoddy brand.
[/quote]

I'm afraid you are way off there. I have never owned or even played a Ric, my preferences tend towards the Fender P, and I am certainly not a devotee of any 'cult of Rickenbacker'.

As to fabricating imaginary quotes, you will see I started with the phrase 'Are you saying...'. I am not purporting to quote you, simply inviting you to identify whether any of those 4 options fairly identify your point in this thread.

I had a mid 70's Rickenbacker and played it in a 3 piece Husker Du type band and it was amazing. I used a pick and had all the controls wide open. I sold it when times were hard.

If someone else didnt like theirs then that is fair enough, but nothing will ever change my mind about how awesome mine was!

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1426924024' post='2723434']
But for the average player, who maybe buying their first bass, I'd just say look around before you buy a Rick because [color=#282828][font=arial, sans-serif]₤1,500 will buy you a lot of bass elsewhere. [/font][/color]
[/quote]
Who in their right mind goes 'You know what, I'm gonna learn to play bass, I'll go and spend £1500 on something right now.'

You seem to be talking about the older Rics, have you played the new ones? The new ones have a fantastic array of tones, especially if you take the time to learn the bass and your amp when you get them together. I can get my Ric to sing through absolutely any amp! I've recorded with it before using just DI and VERY little mixing other than light compression and some light EQ to remove the unnecessary frequency regions, i.e. above 7.5KHz and below 75Hz to allow the other instruments some room to breathe. And before you even ask, no I won't record any sound clips for you as I don't have any home studio gear and I'm certainly not going to go out and rent a studio to record something for a narrow minded arse.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1426913291' post='2723411']
I don`t think i have ever seen so much anger from someone who doesn`t like a bass. I am happy that some people like Rick`s. It makes things so much more interesting than everyone owning a Fender.
[/quote]

There are those of us who don't like Ricks [u]and[/u] don't like Fenders, you know. Somehow or other, we're still able to continue playing bass.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]To the folks that like these basses at whatever price, fantastic, it's your choice. Enjoy your instrument and make good music.

However, in doing a little Google search, the fanaticism of defending this brand with Ad Hominem attacks seems to bring up a lot of similar experiences by others.

A few quotes from other sites, and a link. [url="http://www.thezookeepers.com/ricknews.htm"]http://www.thezookee...om/ricknews.htm[/url][/size][/font]

[indent=1][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][i][b]"[color=#000000]> After Jeff and I hung up, I called Rickenbacker again and asked the [/color][/b][/i][/size][/font][/indent]
[indent=1][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000000][i][b]> receptionist if she could give me the name of the president of the
> company. She said, "No, I cannot,"[/b][/i][/color][/size][/font][/indent]
[indent=1][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000000][color=#000000][i][b]That's comical. His name is John C. Hall; he used to post on this[/b][/i][/color][/color][/size][/font][/indent]
[indent=1][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000000][color=#000000][color=#000000][i][b]newsgroup fairly regularly a few years ago!"[/b][/i][/color][/color][/color][/size][/font][/indent]

[indent=1][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000000][color=#000000][color=#000000][color=#000000][i][b]"I recently called Rickenbacker and told them about this new group and the message I just read. I told Rickenbacker that I will never buy an instrument from them because of their new reputation."[/b][/i][/color][/color][/color][/color][/size][/font][/indent]

[indent=1][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000000][color=#000000][color=#000000][color=#000000][i][b]"I see you know the same lying, scheming, slandering, con- spiring and threatening [company employee] as I do. And I've dealt with him for close to two decades. You're certainly not the only one on these news- groups who shares similar experiences, makes similar observations, and shares the same opinions regarding [the employee] as you have expressed."[/b][/i][/color][/color][/color][/color][/size][/font][/indent]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000000][color=#000000][color=#000000][color=#000000]... There's no shortage of these types of complaints about the company on the Net; do your own research, form your own conclusions. No need to rely on what I say. [/color][/color][/color][/color][/size][color=#000000]However, it raises suspicion when a few people defend a shoddy brand with more vigor than they would defend their own mothers, while using improper Ad Hominem attacks just because someone doesn't fancy a product. [/color][/font]

Edited by Bronner

I had a 4003 as my main player between '95 and '05. I bought it for the looks. My other bass was a '77 jazz that was frankly better sounding but just too heavy. I bought an Ibanez ASB140 semi in the States in summer '05 for $500 (£250 at the time) and that quickly relegated the Ric to the bench. It was better in every sense in tone and playability. I sold the Ric in '07 to finance a Kilt for my wedding. I don't miss it at all.

Noone is arguing with you as to whether Mr Hall is a nice person to deal with, he isn't, and that is why Rics can't be sold on this site. However, there are a large number of people who like them, and whether you do or not, it doesn't mean they are going to stop liking them.

I loved them when I was young, as a lot of my heros played them. I had a copy, I have played a real one. They are not really for me, but worth is a ridiculous comment for a bass guitar, which frankly is a plank of wood with strings on it. Is a american fender worth 100 times what a cheap noname chinese bass is? Yes it is, to some people. Is a rick worth 5 time what a copy is worth? Yes it is to some people.

There is no way of determining absolute value, and to get incensed that people like them when you don't is a sign of other underlying issue you have, and to demand that people make sound clips to prove to you they are worth it is a bit daft.

I suggest you just don't buy another one ok?

[quote name='Baxter' timestamp='1426933896' post='2723563']
I had a 4003 as my main player between '95 and '05. I bought it for the looks. My other bass was a '77 jazz that was frankly better sounding but just too heavy. I bought an Ibanez ASB140 semi in the States in summer '05 for $500 (£250 at the time) and that quickly relegated the Ric to the bench. It was better in every sense in tone and playability. I sold the Ric in '07 to finance a Kilt for my wedding. I don't miss it at all.
[/quote]

Similar experience Baxter. Thanks for Sharing.
If anyone pounces on you for voicing your experiences, there's need to apologize for your experiences with a product.
Peace and Rock on.

I have never played a Ric, although my favourite bassists are Paul McCartney and Bruce foxton. I just dont like the look of them (although I love the guitars esp the 12 string versions they are gorgeous!)
Maybe if I played one I mihjt enjoy it, but Hey Ho! :D

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1426934318' post='2723572']
to get incensed that people like them when you don't is a sign of other underlying issue you have, ...
[/quote]

I'm not incensed at all if people like Rickenbackers. I'm quoting myself, because there's a tendency for people like you to fabricate quotes here. This is my statement (you can read it above):

"[i][b][color=#282828][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]To the folks that like these basses at whatever price, fantastic, it's your choice. Enjoy your instrument and make good music."[/font][/color][/b][/i]

Actually what I'm commenting on are the Ad Hominem attacks simply because I have a negative opinion about the build quality, design, and price of this product. For example, (notice how I'm actually quoting you) where you imply I have some [u]psychological[/u] issue for not liking this brand:

Your statement: [i][b]"... is a sign of other underlying issue you have." [/b][/i]

Again, an Ad Hominem argument for not liking the brand. So people that don't like Ricks are unwell?

Edited by Bronner

Dear OP,

I have no axe to grind on the matter (I barely have an opinion - I've played a Rickenbacker once in my life for about 2 mins) but if you're wondering why you're getting aggro it might be because you crossed over from simply giving your opinion (which you're more than entitled to have and express) into unsolicited advice on what people should/should not spend their money on. I can only speak for myself, but I don't really enjoy that coming from someone I don't know at all, never mind well enough to respect advice from.

I tried a Ric once and didn't like the feel or the tone. The only 2 guys around here who've got them are pick players rather than fingerstyle players. Dunno if that's a coincidence or not, most bassists around here are finger players. *shrug*

So from this thread I've learnt that the OP comes across as an angry person, and that basses right across the price spectrum are perfectly useable in the right situation.

But I already knew the second point.

Bronner have you learnt anything from this thread?

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1426935393' post='2723594']
..., but I don't really enjoy that coming from someone I don't know at all, never mind well enough to respect advice from.
[/quote]

What I really believe is happening is that the Rickenbacker brand is in trouble and they have a negative history with this site, and either someone with the company, the dealers that depend Rick sales in the UK, or perhaps just some overzealous fans of the brand are trying to shut down criticism of the product.

If you really felt strongly about someone giving their opinion about a brand, you would feel equally strongly about people saying good things about the brand. Why isn't that offensive to you? Everyone knows it's common to share experiences about a product on a forum. Look at some independent bass makers on this site; they handle themselves professionally, and don't engage in dubious arguments to try and shut down criticism.

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1426935867' post='2723608']

What I really believe is happening is that the Rickenbacker brand is in trouble and they have a negative history with this site, and either someone with the company, the dealers that depend Rick sales in the UK, or perhaps just some overzealous fans of the brand are trying to shut down criticism of the product.

If you really felt strongly about someone giving their opinion about a brand, you would feel equally strongly about people saying good things about the brand. Why isn't that offensive to you? Everyone knows it's common to share experiences about a product on a forum. Look at some independent bass makers on this site; they handle themselves professionally, and don't engage in dubious arguments to try and shut down criticism.
[/quote]

You've missed my point. It's got the square root of naff all to do with Rickenbackers and I don't care about that. It's to do with me being mildly irritated by your unsolicited advice about what I should spend my money on. I'm pretty laid back too, so I suspect that if it annoyed me enough into posting something, it probably annoyed others too, hence the aggro. But plough on if it makes you happy, I've said my piece, starting to wish I hadn't bothered my arse, and I wish you a good day in spite of it all.

I agree. I've never liked the sound of Rickenbackers. They do sound like a cheap £50 bass from an Argos catalog. I always thought they sounded woolly when played finger style and harsh and clanky when played with a pick. A good bass player can get a workable sound from any bass but why spend £1,500 on a bass that sounds like it cost £50. Merely my opinion of course.

Here's five grands worth of Rickenbackers, doing a variation of the woolly and clanky thing.

[url="https://youtu.be/sI416nWdxxY"]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sI416nWdxxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/url]

Edited by gjones

you know some folk spend a lot of money on big Landrovers - even though they use them to cruse around the city, other folk get big two seater german sports cars, others big estates, and others fancy hybrid cars....

Now essentially they all do the same as my 14 year old saxo (CAP clean value of around £500) - but I'm not going to waste time.... well having any emotion towards people who buy different cars - so what?
I have two warwicks - some people hate warwicks, I could have got a fender for the price, or a secondhand ACG, maybe the aCG would be have been the better bass? Maybe some recording studios would prefer a traditional Jazz bass tone than the wider warwick tone... I don't know - they are just different. Other folk choose other things and well that's their prerogative.

So yes, the rick is a 1950's design still being made today, yes you can buy other basses that are "better" in every way - and I'm sure some Basslab, Steinberger or Status carbon thing is "better" than any fender variant - but some people have different priorities - deal with it.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1426936629' post='2723629']
I agree. I've never liked the sound of Rickenbackers. They do sound like a cheap £50 bass from an Argos catalog. I always thought they sounded woolly when played finger style and harsh and clanky when played with a pick. A good bass player can get a workable sound from any bass but why spend £1,500 on a bass that sounds like it cost £50. Merely my opinion of course.

Here's five grands worth of Rickenbackers, doing a variation of the woolly and clanky thing.

[url="https://youtu.be/sI416nWdxxY"]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sI416nWdxxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for your opinion and the link.

Edited by Bronner

I have owned and disposed of a few copies over the years, much as the original OP suggests, I could never really get a sound out of the copies that I liked. I had the pleasure of trying a brand new Rick last year and thought it was a wonderful bass to play, however, again the sound didn't grab me, but it certainly wasn't bad.

Rick's are what they are, marmite basses some people love them some people hate them, I think the OP is wrong to suggest that for £1500 you can get 3 far better basses, the truth is for £100 you can get a far better bass if you don't like a Rickenbacker in the first place, same goes for Warwick, Status and probably Wal and any other bass on the market.

I might buy a Rick one day just for the fun of it