Why become a member? ×

Why I sold my Rickenbacker Bass

Bronner

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1427045606' post='2725031']
The issue I find with Rickenbacker basses.
They are like a set of precision wood carving tools.

If you are a really good wood carver, with tools that are precision made you will excel at what it is you set out to do.
If you are a hammer and screwdriver wood carver, then, they will just make things harder to do and you will end up blaming the tool for your failings.

Where these instruments have been placed in the hands of experts, we have some of the most distinctive sounding most recognisable baselines in the world.
Those that can benefit from them, do so, the others, well they need something that does not require such level of skill to master.
Not everyone can do it unfortunate, no point getting angry about it, just keep practising, you might make the grade .
[/quote]
:blink: :o :D :ph34r:

I would say the fact that I cannot buy or sell a Rick on BC is probably the main reason I don't currently own one, finding a sensibly priced 2nd hand one that I can try first is well nigh impossible, I guess that is the downside of Ebay for you, unlike the old days of the classified adds the Ebay ethos doesn't seem to accomodate the try before you buy idea.....I guess if I have learnt anything from the threads on here it is with a Rick, try before you buy.

At some point I will come across one locally and sensibly priced, at that point I can make the decision as to whether I want to own one or not

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1427029247' post='2724816']
Borders? Let's not get elitist. Remember not everyone wants or can afford the high end gear, and there are plenty of more affordable and good quality biscuits that would be perfectly palatable and satisfying for newbies just starting out on their journey.
[/quote]

And broken biscuits can be obtained even more cheaply. Apparently some high-end biscuits actually break themselves, although it's something of a lottery as to whether they do that before or after being sold.

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1426986988' post='2724509']
I'm off up town tomorrow to buy meself a 4003 and a Ric coffee mug. Deal with it Bronner.
[/quote]

You have the ability to buy whatever you want.

I am not standing in the way of your right to purchase a bass or a banjo (of any make or model).

Even if I had the power to prevent you from purchasing something, I wouldn't exercise that power because personal choice is a fundamental and basic right. So is the right to express an opinion about a product.

The real issue is that there are those set on trying to dissuade me from [u]having and expressing an opinion about an instrument that [color=#ff0000][b]I[/b][/color] bought[/u].

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1427058797' post='2725315']
The real issue is that there are those set on trying to dissuade me from [u]having and expressing an opinion about an instrument that [color=#ff0000][b]I[/b][/color] bought[/u].
[/quote]

No it really isn't.

Many of the criticisms you have seem to be aimed at their basses in general, based on a sample size of one from a couple of decades ago. Theirs no objectivity at all expressed in your posts, did John Hall take a dump through your letter box or something?

Every manufacturer puts out good and bad instruments, Fenders 70s output seemed to vary massively in quality but most people don't try one, feels its not up to scratch and slate their output decades later based on their experience of one instrument.

Edited by Subbeh

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1426969642' post='2724333']
why lock it? ... Don't like it? Don't read it. ... I say let people discuss whatever they please.
[/quote]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I completely agree; The right to free and fair debate about a product includes the opportunity to voice one's opinion publicly without fear of censorship or punishment. What's particularly odd is that expression is also backbone of making (music is also a form of expression). So, to see so many attempts to derail expression among musicians is ironic, disturbing, and completely at odds with the characteristics good musicians usually have.

You know what it reminds me of? When Lennon said the 'Beatles were bigger than Jesus.' And the hecklers and record burners worked themselves into a frenzy to ban the Beatles. Just change the comment about Jesus to a comment about Rickenbackers. [/font][/size]

Edited by Bronner

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1427060208' post='2725345']
Many of the criticisms you have seem to be aimed at their basses in general
[/quote]

I do think that for the 1500 price tag of a Ric you can get more bass for your money from other brands. If I criticize the truss rod design in the Ric I had that would apply to other Rics that utilize that same design feature. But that doesn't change that the basis for my criticism is the instrument I bought.

If you wanted to be fair about it, you'd point out that it's nonsensical when someone suggests that I have the power to stop them from buying a Ric.

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1427060903' post='2725363']

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]You know what it reminds me of? When Lennon said the 'Beatles were bigger than Jesus.' And the hecklers and record burners worked themselves into a frenzy to ban the Beatles. Just change the comment about Jesus to a comment about Rickenbackers. [/font][/size]
[/quote]

Now I think you are getting ideas above your station

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1427061584' post='2725383']
Now I think you are getting ideas above your station
[/quote]

I disagree with you. Lennon's right to level a criticism is also the same right you and I possess.
Nobody seriously believes the right of free expression should vest more strongly in pop stars, actors, dog groomers, or whatever. Your right to express yourself should be equal to Lennon's right (or whomever).

Thanks for making my point about the Stalinist rationales underlying some of the attempts here to derail one persons's criticisms of a bass.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1427062492' post='2725402']
Lennon never played a Ric, it was Lemmy.
[/quote]

But hopefully you realize that the real point is that he suggested that Lennon has a greater right than others to criticize a brand (in his case Jesus). Whereas, I say people have an equal right to criticize.

Edited by Bronner

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1427062779' post='2725408']

But hopefully you realize that the real point is that he suggested that Lennon has a greater right than others to criticize a brand (in his case Jesus). Whereas, I say people have an equal right to criticize.
[/quote]

That's not even a bass

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1427045606' post='2725031']
The issue I find with Rickenbacker basses.
They are like a set of precision wood carving tools.

If you are a really good wood carver, with tools that are precision made you will excel at what it is you set out to do.
If you are a hammer and screwdriver wood carver, then, they will just make things harder to do and you will end up blaming the tool for your failings.

Where these instruments have been placed in the hands of experts, we have some of the most distinctive sounding most recognisable baselines in the world.
Those that can benefit from them, do so, the others, well they need something that does not require such level of skill to master.
Not everyone can do it unfortunate, no point getting angry about it, just keep practising, you might make the grade .
[/quote]
This is meant tongue in cheek , isn't it? Cause you never know on here - especially lately , it would seem .

God , this thread is a mess

I find Rickenbackers to be like Dairylea, you can get a screwdriver to stand up in it but sometimes, on a warm day, a marble will sink in it.
I liken Dairylea to Pol Pot but history records don't show he ever ate it, if he did then that's for another thread.
Makes no difference anyway, as long it's spread thick enough on the paving slab it'll all be good.

You've made your point, now enough with the pointless crap :)