Why become a member? ×

Why I sold my Rickenbacker Bass

Bronner

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1426960551' post='2724118']
Wow. What a bizzare thread.

What the OP doesn't seem to appreciate is that many people on BC already feel that Rickenbackers are overpriced, shoddily-made, mass-produced throwbacks with very little versatility. If he reads a little on here he'll find plenty of posts & threads expressing these views, none of which have been shut down by the RickenCops. And that plenty of people on here also feel that RIC's CEO behaves like a bullying, delusional, hostile megalomaniac, and this has negatively impacted on their opinion of the brand he represents.

Bronner - most people on here really don't need to be talked out of buying a Rickenbacker. And there really isn't a secret BC fifth column, diligently beavering away to protect & promote that nice Mr Hall's business interests. It's all in your head, dear. :)

Jon.
[/quote]

Best comment so far. Thanks Jon.

I thought I was imagining the Ricken-Chickens parading their feathers and crowing to their God, the Junkenbacker.

Edited by Bronner

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1426944255' post='2723761']
why on earth did you buy it?
[/quote]

It's a fair question. I bought it more than 20 years ago the same way people buy basses on this forum. There always isn't an opportunity to try an instrument before purchase. I recommend anyone thinking of buying one to try one.

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1426954095' post='2723972']
You opened this post at just after midnight, on a Saturday morning....
[/quote]

I didn't know there was a rule or aspersions would be cast for opening a post "[b][i]just after midnight, on a Saturday morning[/i][/b]."

Of course, that's my mistake, I should have realized that the time the post was made was really the time the giant metal Donkey Harness over the Ric's bridge pickup is supposed to be praised as a work of art worthy of being exhibited in the Louvre.

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1426963383' post='2724176']
It's a fair question. I bought it more than 20 years ago the same way people buy basses on this forum. There always isn't an opportunity to try an instrument before purchase. I recommend anyone thinking of buying one to try one.
[/quote]Fair enough, I've bought basses without trying too, luckily, I've had some good ones. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1426964259' post='2724196']
I didn't know there was a rule or aspersions would be cast for opening a post "[b][i]just after midnight, on a Saturday morning[/i][/b]."

Of course, that's my mistake, I should have realized that the time the post was made was really the time the giant metal Donkey Harness over the Ric's bridge pickup is supposed to be praised as a work of art worthy of being exhibited in the Louvre.
[/quote]

I can't quite decide if that's humour of some description or sarcasm.

[quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I didn't know there was a rule or aspersions would be cast for opening a post "[/font][/color][b][i]just after midnight, on a Saturday morning[/i][/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]."[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Of course, that's my mistake, I should have realized that the time the post was made was really the time the giant metal Donkey Harness over the Ric's bridge pickup is supposed to be praised as a work of art worthy of being exhibited in the Louvre.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

My, my! It's not even worth wasting my time trying to communicate further with you. Just for clarity to attempt to help you... in the 11-12 hours from you opening the post, there were 3 pages of posts that occurred. How likely is it that Rickenbacker have people who have nothing better to do than trawl the web trying to shut down any thread that is anti-Rickenbacker?? Unfortunately i can only state it this simply and politely as possible, but you have some personal issues or mental health issues, and that's about as kind and helpful as I can be for you. Take a look in the mirror and have a think about yourself!

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1426963043' post='2724167']
Best comment so far. Thanks Jon.

I thought I was imagining the Ricken-Chickens parading their feathers and crowing to their God, the Junkenbacker.
[/quote]

And it just gets odder...

Of course there are people who like Ricks here too, but what's interesting is that most of them aren't the ones you're arguing with. Seems to me in this thread you're mostly preaching to the converted, and no-one's actually disputing many of the points you make - it's more the manner in which you're making them that's rubbing people up the wrong way.

As it happens, I may not like Ricks (real, Hall-era ones, anyway) but I do know a bit about them. Many of your comments are both misinformed and misleading.

J.

I just can`t understand why he needs anyone who likes them to prove they are good in tone. If he hasn`t enough ability to make a Ric sound good, where clearly other posters have on here, then he should perhaps go for lessons to learn how to play.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1426966311' post='2724250']
no-one's actually disputing many of the points you make - it's more the manner in which you're making them that's rubbing people up the wrong way.[/quote]

People can choose to believe they are 'rubbed the wrong way' or the 'right way' based on someone else's opinion of a product. It's not something I lose sleep over. I don't get bent out of shape when people have opinions about tooth paste brands or tennis rackets either.

Edited by Bronner

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426905818' post='2723403']
I own and gig with around 9 different bass guitars, mostly Fenders & Gibson models.

The only bass I own that has a unique and inherently different sound than any other bass I own is my German crafted Hofner Club bass. You can't get that Hofner "thump" anywhere else. The Contemporary Hofner series made in Korea don't have it.

Am I remotely on topic?

Blue
[/quote]

The contempory series have a block in them, the icon, ignition series are hollow too and actually much nearer the German versions for the original Hofner thump.

Anyhow on topic I think it all comes down to the player i think tone is made up of many aspects but if you take a Rik and change its strings, the person playing it and what amp etc its ran through then you will get a lot of difference, variation from the fundamental tone of the bass.
So taking a bass is just the starting point of creating tone.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1426967274' post='2724281']
You miss the point. The [i]way you are expressing yourself[/i] is annoying people somewhat more than the subject you are discussing.

J.
[/quote]

Yep, that is exactly it.

It has been an interesting thread to read though!

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1426925541' post='2723445']
Can I just say that you've wasted all your hard earned cash and should have bought an OLP :)
[/quote]

and I just want to say that Chiliwailer is not a second account owned by me :lol: