Why become a member? ×

Why I sold my Rickenbacker Bass

Bronner

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1426934749' post='2723580']
I have never played a Ric, although my favourite bassists are Paul McCartney and Bruce foxton.
[/quote]

I believe that Bruce played a Ric copy (live) and most of the Jam recordings were a Precision.

Edited by doctorbass

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1426938632' post='2723670']
You are mistaken:

I didn't know this when I first posted this thread, but after looking into it, it's clear that the Rickenbacker company has a negative history with this website (and several other websites) all relating to allegations that Rickenbacker tries to strong-arm websites and opinions about their products.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Rickenbacker threatened to sue this site. It seems they did that to other websites and to people who posted unfavorable reviews of their instruments.

That tactic backfires with me. I write under my own name. I have a low opinion about the brand, and a lesser opinion about the company in seeing the number of complaints all over the Web.

Rickenbacker is a Paper Tiger. They would be defretted under California law if it can be shown they engage in these tactics.
[/quote]

Please don't let opinions get in the way of facts. If you care to read the threads on this site regarding the BC 'issue' with RIC it was primarily due to the requirement for BC to ensure that RIC copywrite/intellectual property was not being infringed. Namely guaranteeing that copies were not being sold through the BC site.
You don't like Rics....I think we all get that now, you appear to be making a one-man mission of it. Some days i get up and play my Jazz, other days my Rick, I like both. Why did I spend £1500 on a Rick - because I can, and there is never a time when I pick it up that it doesn't put a smile on my face so it was worth it. Is it better than my Jazz, no just different and vice versa.
Let the crusade go, life is too short. I suspect you won't but maybe you'll suprise me.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1426942798' post='2723736']
I reckon a subject title 'A Rickenbacker is a waste of 1500 quid' would have been all you needed to say and we could all have an hour of our lives back.
[/quote]

How am I forcing you to read a thread?

I'm emancipating you; read what you want, like a grown up.

A question to the OP

When you spent all that money on the Rickenbacker, did you actually try it out first, and if you did, did you not notice the "horrible tone and lack versatility" at the time? because if it really was as bad as you say (and I don't disbelieve you), why on earth did you buy it?

Please don't think I'm starting an argument with you, I'm just curious.

Can I conclude from over 100 posts that, Bronner, you don't like Ricks and that you think that the money could be spent more wisely??

Can I also conclude that you believe that your opinion is more valid than anybody else's??? You seem committed to this argument at all costs. I think you'll find that you're not changing anybody's mind...

FWIW I don't like Ricks either, but I also don't like Fenders, Warwicks or Wals - I wouldn't spend all day arguing my point though..It'll be interesting to see what happens when Mr Hall gets wind of this thread...

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1426944479' post='2723764']

FWIW I don't like Ricks either, but I also don't like Fenders, Warwicks or Wals - I wouldn't spend all day arguing my point though..It'll be interesting to see what happens when Mr Hall gets wind of this thread...
[/quote] Can i ask, what do you like?

I have read this thread and once worshipped at the Altar of the mighty Ric.....i hearby now renounce my following of this deity and turn my back on it, indeed i call upon Bronner to gather a mighty army from across Rock and Rolldom to embark on a Crusade to eradicate the evil Ric from our World.

There are plenty of things I deem overpriced. Products that don't offer good bang for the buck$. Where I can buy a better quality, cheaper alternative if I choose to. Kettle Chips are a prime contender.

I bang on to my mates about Kettle Chips all the time. On and on. And you know what? Not once have they said: "Thanks Skol. Thanks for your insight. I'm now going to change my choice of crisps based on your opinion."

Not once. They keep on buying those Kettle Chips. It's as though they value their own opinions more highly than mine. The fools.

And so it will always be. Ad infinitum.

PS: any unwanted rice pudding? Send it my way. One man's bowl of milky maggots is another's homely pudding.

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1426945088' post='2723775']
I love my Ritter, ACG, GB (Goodfellows) - I've kept these, sold the Warwicks, Wals and Fenders I've owned.

You're welcome to try any of these - come to the next Herts Bash (note the blatant plug!!) ;) ;)
[/quote]I would love to take you up on your offer. Sadly i am left handed :( Sounds like a nice collection you have though

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1426901592' post='2723382']
I say the Rick sounds terrible recorded direct (especially for the money).
[/quote]

[size=4]You're right, listen to these, all '[color=#474747]recorded in Logic, with as little processing as possible to put across the true sound of the instrument' [/color]by Andy Baxter:[/size]

[url="https://soundcloud.com/andy-baxter-bass-guitar/70-rick-fingers-pickup-selector-both-neck-bridge-same-with-pick-tones-off-fingers-pick"]1970 4001[/url]
[url="https://soundcloud.com/andy-baxter-bass-guitar/73-4001-black-md1450-neck-both"]1973 4001[/url]
[url="https://soundcloud.com/andy-baxter-bass-guitar/1981-rick-4003s-vd963"]1982 4003S[/url]

Shocking!

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1426945449' post='2723782']
There are plenty of things I deem overpriced. Products that don't offer good bang for the buck$. Where I can buy a better quality, cheaper alternative if I choose to. Kettle Chips are a prime contender.

I bang on to my mates about Kettle Chips all the time. On and on. And you know what? Not once have they said: "Thanks Skol. Thanks for your insight. I'm now going to change my choice of crisps based on your opinion."

Not once. They keep on buying those Kettle Chips. It's as though they value their own opinions more highly than mine. The fools.

And so it will always be. Ad infinitum.

PS: any unwanted rice pudding? Send it my way. One man's bowl of milky maggots is another's homely pudding.
[/quote]I buy Kettle chips when they are a pound. Problem is, i try to eat a few, but keep going back to the cupboard until there are no more left. Walkers Extra Crunchy are my real vice.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1426945683' post='2723786']
[size=4]You're right, listen to these, all '[color=#474747]recorded in Logic, with as little processing as possible to put across the true sound of the instrument' [/color]by Andy Baxter:[/size]

[url="https://soundcloud.com/andy-baxter-bass-guitar/70-rick-fingers-pickup-selector-both-neck-bridge-same-with-pick-tones-off-fingers-pick"]1970 4001[/url]
[url="https://soundcloud.com/andy-baxter-bass-guitar/73-4001-black-md1450-neck-both"]1973 4001[/url]
[url="https://soundcloud.com/andy-baxter-bass-guitar/1981-rick-4003s-vd963"]1982 4003S[/url]

Shocking!
[/quote]Sounds really good to me. He must know how to use [color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] compressors, consoles and tube microphones though :P[/font][/color]

Basses can vary greatly. I'm sure you could pick up 2 identical looking basses & find one plays awesomely & the other is dire.

My example was when I tried 4 different Fender Jazz fretless basses. The MIM one I thought was a bag of overpriced turd, as the Squier version was a far better instrument for about a third of the price, but there's many BCers who love their MIM Jazz.
The USA Jazz was the best of the 4 (the Jaco wasn't worth the extra £500).

One thing though, if I was looking for a new bass, A Ric wouldn't be on my list. Not for sound or looks, but for the bigwig's attitude.

I've played precisely three Rickenbackers, they were all dogs. However, people I know and trust tell me that if you find a good one they are excellent basses and sound phenomenal. So I look forward to the time when I play a good one because I'm quite sure it will sound phenomenal. That's when my problems will start though, as I'll no doubt get GAS and have to (once again) start amassing enough coins of the realm for a purchase...

Like a lot of people on this forum, I was put off Rics through the antics of Mr Hall, but now the OP has really stoked my GAS for one. Dammit.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1426923547' post='2723432']
I have heard the arguments, comments, criticisms etc etc for years but one day in the future when I have some money spare I am just going to buy one.

Nothing looks as cool as a bassist with a Ricky !!

I hear the same argument from MX5 and numerous other car model owners ( fabulous cars so please don't shoot me down ) about how they are the sensible choice above an MGB

I know it's not the sensible option but I love my MGB
[/quote]

That's just ridiculous - everybody knows the MGF is the sensible choice. MX5 pah! - no character :rolleyes:

[quote name='tazza1' timestamp='1426948202' post='2723842']
That's just ridiculous - everybody knows the MGF is the sensible choice. MX5 pah! - no character :rolleyes:
[/quote]

But the Diahatsu [s]Shoe[/s] Copen is cheaper, therefore better.