Why become a member? ×

Why I sold my Rickenbacker Bass

Bronner

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1426936977' post='2723639']
Other folk choose other things and well that's their prerogative.
[/quote]

People can choose whatever gear they want. That's a false argument.

Nor do I care that people own these basses (if you read carefully I used to own one).

The thread is for people who are considering buying one: Look at the title:

[b] "Why [color=#ff0000][b]I [/b][/color]sold [color=#ff0000][b]my[/b][/color] Rickenbacker Bass"[/b]

See the words "I" and "my"?

Now if your experiences differ, I welcome them. But I certainly won't back down from sharing mine.
It's a bass brand, but feels like some form of Scientology cult that tries to suppress 'seditious opinions' about a product.

Edited by Bronner

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1426933669' post='2723558']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]To the folks that like these basses at whatever price, fantastic, it's your choice. Enjoy your instrument and make good music.

However, in doing a little Google search, the fanaticism of defending this brand with Ad Hominem attacks seems to bring up a lot of similar experiences by others.

A few quotes from other sites, and a link. [url="http://www.thezookeepers.com/ricknews.htm"]http://www.thezookee...om/ricknews.htm[/url][/size][/font]

[indent=1][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][i][b]"[color=#000000]> After Jeff and I hung up, I called Rickenbacker again and asked the [/color][/b][/i][/size][/font][/indent]
[indent=1][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000000][i][b]> receptionist if she could give me the name of the president of the
> company. She said, "No, I cannot,"[/b][/i][/color][/size][/font][/indent]
[indent=1][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000000][color=#000000][i][b]That's comical. His name is John C. Hall; he used to post on this[/b][/i][/color][/color][/size][/font][/indent]
[indent=1][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000000][color=#000000][color=#000000][i][b]newsgroup fairly regularly a few years ago!"[/b][/i][/color][/color][/color][/size][/font][/indent]

[indent=1][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000000][color=#000000][color=#000000][color=#000000][i][b]"I recently called Rickenbacker and told them about this new group and the message I just read. I told Rickenbacker that I will never buy an instrument from them because of their new reputation."[/b][/i][/color][/color][/color][/color][/size][/font][/indent]

[indent=1][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000000][color=#000000][color=#000000][color=#000000][i][b]"I see you know the same lying, scheming, slandering, con- spiring and threatening [company employee] as I do. And I've dealt with him for close to two decades. You're certainly not the only one on these news- groups who shares similar experiences, makes similar observations, and shares the same opinions regarding [the employee] as you have expressed."[/b][/i][/color][/color][/color][/color][/size][/font][/indent]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000000][color=#000000][color=#000000][color=#000000]... There's no shortage of these types of complaints about the company on the Net; do your own research, form your own conclusions. No need to rely on what I say. [/color][/color][/color][/color][/size][color=#000000]However, it raises suspicion when a few people defend a shoddy brand with more vigor than they would defend their own mothers, while using improper Ad Hominem attacks just because someone doesn't fancy a product. [/color][/font]
[/quote]

Quite hypocritical to make sly digs at people with shoddy arguments when you've used a subjective Internet source with no real substance to back up your own opinions. I personally dislike Rickenbacker but I could use the Internet to find narrowminded opinions to back up any half-informed opinion I wanted.

It says more about you that you bought a bass that you didn't like... Anyone with sense would have tried it first and realised (that specific bass) wasn't worth the money and walked out/returned it.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1426937722' post='2723654']
Quite hypocritical to make sly digs at people with shoddy arguments when you've used a subjective Internet source with no real substance to back up your own opinions.
[/quote]

They're not my opinions. They are the opinions of others, and I made that clear with the link and quote:

[i][b]"[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif].. There's no shortage of these types of complaints about the company on the Net; do your [u]own[/u] research, [u]form your own conclusions[/u]." <<<< [/font][/color][color=#ff0000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]You saw where I wrote this? [/font][/color][/b][/i]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]£1500 for this type of [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]truss rod work? [/color][/font][url="http://sfguitarworks.com/case-studies/rickenbacker-neck-repair/"]http://sfguitarworks...er-neck-repair/[/url]

Funny that the Asian copies get a bad rep when you see what the build quality is on the real ones.

[i]"[color=#666666]This particular Rickenbacker’s faulty truss rod has created several problems: The first is that the aluminum block is not sufficiently long to support the threaded end without deflecting. This deflection causes the threaded ends to bend downward, making the truss rod ends dig into the headstock. This makes adjusting the rod difficult or impossible. [/color][/i]

[color=#666666]After being repaired by a professional builder: [/color]
[color=#666666][/color]

Edited by Bronner

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1426937412' post='2723650']
People can choose whatever gear they want. That's a false argument.

Nor do I care that people own these basses (if you read carefully I used to own one).

The thread is for people who are considering buying one: Look at the title:

[b] "Why [color=#ff0000][b]I [/b][/color]sold [color=#ff0000][b]my[/b][/color] Rickenbacker Bass"[/b]

See the words "I" and "my"?
[/quote] yes - that was the title and your first post - but the 3 pages of following goes beyond "I dislike this brands' model of bass so sold it" towards a some kind of vitriolic rickenbacker hate - where people with differing opinions - or just less hatred are giving their opinions and you are taking that as some kind of "argument".
This is Basschat - we talk rubbish about basses, we all play different music, have different needs and skill levels and so on. I don't think there are any unanimously held positions on anything - if people have different opinions their voicing them isn't them "pouncing on" you, and no one's trying to prove or disprove anything with an "argument."

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1426938068' post='2723658']

They're not my opinions. They are the opinions of others, and I made that clear with the link and quote:

[i][b]"[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif].. There's no shortage of these types of complaints about the company on the Net; do your [u]own[/u] research, [u]form your own conclusions[/u]." <<<< [/font][/color][color=#ff0000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]You saw where I wrote this? [/font][/color][/b][/i]
[/quote]

They're still nonsense though. I have never purchased a rickenbacker personally (but have played plenty) but that doesn't stop me from posting this;

"I bought a Rickenbacker, sent it back, had a huge barny with company director in a drive-thru Starbucks in Las Vegas and he was super arrogant and rude before telling him Id never buy one of his instruments EVER AGAIN!"

You could easily quote this as 'evidence' or 'research' to support your argument but it's total lies and nonsense. You cannot use Internet opinions as 'facts' IMO. They are too unreliable.

Sweepin generalisations (like you've made in your OP) are called that for a reason. Until you've played EVERY Ric in the world and can definitely tell me they are all rubbish and EVERY bass player would hate them (which you can't!) you should consider presenting your opinion as an opinion.

Edited by skej21

You are mistaken:

I didn't know this when I first posted this thread, but after looking into it, it's clear that the Rickenbacker company has a negative history with this website (and several other websites) all relating to allegations that Rickenbacker tries to strong-arm websites and opinions about their products.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Rickenbacker threatened to sue this site. It seems they did that to other websites and to people who posted unfavorable reviews of their instruments.

That tactic backfires with me. I write under my own name. I have a low opinion about the brand, and a lesser opinion about the company in seeing the number of complaints all over the Web.

Rickenbacker is a Paper Tiger. They would be defretted under California law if it can be shown they engage in these tactics.

Edited by Bronner

I get it you had a bad time with a brand and want to vent on it,cool...however some folks love what you don't. May I suggest next time to post the experiance you felt when you owned one,fine.The things folk have issue with is dont tell people what to do ,they dont like that.Have a nice saturday make a brew and play some bass,also remember opinions are like arseholes,everyone has one..

[quote name='Chaos Daveo' timestamp='1426940159' post='2723692']
The things folk have issue with is dont tell people what to do
[/quote]

I didn't tell people what to do, exactly the opposite. I used to believe that in England they read and write in English:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"[/font][/color][i][b][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]To the folks that like these basses at whatever price, fantastic, it's your choice. Enjoy your instrument and make good music."[/font][/b][/i]

Where am I telling people they have to do what I say? To me it looks, [i]literally[/i], like I am saying the opposite.

Edited by Bronner

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1426939663' post='2723687']
I don't like Ric basses and sure wouldn't want to have to deal with them as a company. Saying that, everybody who like Rickenbacker basses should stop and buy another brand of bass because you are wrong*.

* satire warning
[/quote]

Buy what you like, I don't want to (nor do I have the power to stop you) buying what you like.
But if you think this is the truss rod on a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]£1500 bass, I encourage you to look deeper into the design flaw.[/font][/color]
[url="http://www.strangeguitarworks.com/rickenbacker-broken-truss-rod-repair/"]http://www.strangegu...uss-rod-repair/[/url]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Because the aluminum block is too small, the truss rods sometimes bend and put downward pressure on the headstock. [/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]In those instances, the truss rod can bend and/or cause unnatural pressure on the finger board and headstock, with unpleasant results.[/color][/font]

Repaired by independent builder to avoid damage to headstock and fretboard from truss rod adjustment.

Edited by Bronner

It's a bass that divides opinion judging by some of the comments on here. I remember when I first started playing, all I wanted was a Ricky - mainly because Bruce Foxton used one in the early days of The Jam. When I eventually got to try a couple out I remember feeling quite disappointed - didn't get on with the shape or feel of them (especially the fingerboard).

However, it doesn't mean that it's a poor instrument - the number of top name rock bass players who have used it successfully in recordings proves that it has its place in music.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1426941834' post='2723712']
It's a bass that divides opinion judging by some of the comments on here. I remember when I first started playing, all I wanted was a Ricky - mainly because Bruce Foxton used one in the early days of The Jam. When I eventually got to try a couple out I remember feeling quite disappointed - didn't get on with the shape or feel of them (especially the fingerboard).

However, it doesn't mean that it's a poor instrument - the number of top name rock bass players who have used it successfully in recordings proves that it has its place in music.
[/quote]

How dare you come on here with sensible opinions :D

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1426931618' post='2723515']
I'm just sharing my opinion.
[/quote][quote name='Norris' timestamp='1426932079' post='2723529']
Job done. Make yourself a nice cup of coffee to celebrate
[/quote]
Yes, job done. Again and again, repeatedly, ad nauseum. Seriously, we get it. You don't like Ricks and think they're a waste of money. Message received.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1426941834' post='2723712']

[/quote]

I agree with everything you wrote. My experiences are my own and [u]not[/u] shared with [i]present[/i] owners of the bass to say "you made a bad decision," but rather to [u]prospective[/u] buyers that may want a sampling of opinions on the issue before plunking down 1,500 for one.

Edited by Bronner

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1426941496' post='2723704']
Is this the 5-minute argument, or the full half-hour?
[/quote]
"..I've told you once".

I think the OP is coming in for some unfair criticism. It takes courage (and I dare say a fair degree of soul searching) to openly admit that you've made the ridiculous error of 1) purchasing an instrument without properly trying it out in the hope that 2) you'll sound like a Beatle.

I remember the day it finally dawned on me that I'd never sound like McCartney. It hit me like a ton of bricks, and I'd not spent good money on a bass trying to do so.

I think all the OP is trying to do is offer their experience in the hope that others don't make the same stupid mistake.

That's how I see it, anyroad..

Edited by Old Man Riva