Why become a member? ×

Help with doing a WALK UP (not a walking bass line)

ChrisF

Hi all,

due to health problems I havent played my bass for many, many months and I have only played it sporadically over the last year.

Anyway, Im back to it now. And I saw a clip on the web of someone doing what he called a "walk up". It sounded great so I thought I would try it, but it doesnt sound the same.

He said that he was playing E & F# (on the D string) then A# & A (on the G string) When I tried it, it just didnt sound right..... did I miss hear the second two notes...... as they are the ones that didnt sound quite right..or what ??

Sorry for what is probably a very basic question, but due to my health, my playing and my progress have been rather slower than I had hoped.

cheers ... Chris

A bit of an awkward choice, which can also sound interesting in the right context. Musically speaking nothing is absolutely wrong. But you need to know what is the target note you are walking to, what key/mode you are in (at the very least if major or minor), what chord you are moving around to highlight. the ability to make these choices at tempo is what makes bass players more intelligent than almost anyone else on the planet (he he).

Sorry Chris, didn't mean to make it confusing. More simply you may have got one note wrong, more likely to be something like E, F#, G#, A walking up to B, which would be the V chord before resolving back to E. All other possible explanations are a bit more jazzy. Now I have probably made it too basic and I may have missed your point, if so I am very sorry again.

Rabbie...... you didnt make it confusing, I did. :rolleyes: Im self taught so I dont get a lot of the "proper" musical references :blush:

Sarah ..... thanks, I think Im definitely on the mend..hopefully. As for the clip..... lol.I cant find it again,but if I do I will post.