Why become a member? ×

So a debate I'm having with myself

Fisheth

Hey guys, I'm having an on going debate with myself in regards to a new bass and I was wanting some opinions from you knowledgeable folks on Bass Chat.
Just to give you some context, I've been a guitar player turned bassist due to a band not being able to find one and I was asked if I wanted to do it, I begrudgingly said yes and found that it isn't as easy as I first thought!

Anyway: I predominantly play five strings, so I'm wondering is there any need for me to have a four string at all? Considering I can do much more with the extended range of a five string, than what's available to me on the four. However there are some passages I find tricky due to the wider neck on my five strings than the four's that I have tried. Is it worth getting a four string or is this a technique issue?

I've been wanting to try a four for a while as the only four string I have hasn't been played due to an unfixable neck and I just thought it might be worth getting a higher quality one as I've been taking my bass playing seriously lately.

So TLDR: Five string user, is it worth me having a four string too?

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1426776891' post='2721832']
Hey guys, I'm having an on going debate with myself in regards to a new bass and I was wanting some opinions from you knowledgeable folks on Bass Chat.
Just to give you some context, I've been a guitar player turned bassist due to a band not being able to find one and I was asked if I wanted to do it, I begrudgingly said yes and found that it isn't as easy as I first thought!

Anyway: I predominantly play five strings, so I'm wondering is there any need for me to have a four string at all? Considering I can do much more with the extended range of a five string, than what's available to me on the four. However there are some passages I find tricky due to the wider neck on my five strings than the four's that I have tried. Is it worth getting a four string or is this a technique issue?

I've been wanting to try a four for a while as the only four string I have hasn't been played due to an unfixable neck and I just thought it might be worth getting a higher quality one as I've been taking my bass playing seriously lately.

So TLDR: Five string user, is it worth me having a four string too?
[/quote]
It could be a technique problem as far as struggling to play the lines on the wider neck, or it could be simply the neck is a little too wide for your hands, what is your 5 string? A thinner necked 5 might be your ideal next buy?

Personally though, I've only ever used 4 and that's all I need! I have an octave pedal to take me lower if I want/need it, plus an octave pedal sounds super cool!

I find that I use my 5 string about 95% of the time whether I need the low b or not, I do have a couple of 4 strings and they do get used (especially the '77 P-Bass) I'd recommend trying a 5 string with a slimmer neck, the first choice for me would be an Ibanez SR505, the last one I played was super slick. and always remember that the optimum number of basses is S-1 (with S being the number that would cause the Break down of your normal life (partner walking out/house repossessed dog leaving you etc)

Matt

Most people seem to start on a 4 and then progress to a 5 which they'll either love or hate.

If you've already gone down the 5 route for the extended scale it offers and the only problem you are having is neck width then I'd echo MattP and recommend looking at an SR505 - super skinny neck and a pretty ridiculous price, even more so if you can find a used one.

Funny, that hadn't actually crossed my mind.

What do you guys recommend I should be looking at when it comes to slimmer necks. I currently own a Squier VM Jazz V and a BC Rich WMD Widow V. The Widow is far too thick for me giving my hands cramps and spasms. The Jazz V is almost there though.

Was looking at Sandberg and Spector, but the Spector stuff looks way out of my pricepoint. Even on Thommann! The Sandbergs are more in budget though.

Double edit: Forgot to mention the bass has to be light, I've just gone through major surgery and I've had known problems with my back too. The Jazz V that I have is a bit too heavy for me, but the BC rich feels about right in terms of weight. No idea if that'll help anyone, but just throwing it out there.

Edited by Fisheth

I saw the title and read it as "So debate I'm hanging myself"... I MUST get my eyes tested!!

Moving on... I used to have an ESP LTD 205. The neck is narrow and slim. For me the string spacing was a bit too narrow, but you're coming from the world of playing cheese wire, so I can see this may be good for you. The neck was smoooooth and flat and felt like a dream.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/esp-ltd-b-205-sm-ns-spalted-maple-natural-satin/58862

The down-side is it's active. If you don't unplug the cord you will run the batteries down. Nice bass though.

I think it's always nice to have both. I flick between 4 & 5 on a daily basis depending on what sound I'm going for.

Saying that, I prefer both the feel & the look of 4-strings (regardless of brand) though of course this is completely personal.

As your 5 is a classic-toned bass maybe consider going for a modern sounding & active 4 so you've got more tonal options?

I'd say there's no point in having a 4 string bass.... because you can play everything you can think of playing on a 4 on the 5, but that doesn't work the other way around.

I don't see how a 5 is more tricky to play that a 4. You're only playing the E-G strings on either instrument. It's not like you're reaching over to play complicated stuff on the B string. Are you having muting problems? Whatever it is I would analyse your technique rather than the instrument.

Woo tons of advice, ace.

Yeah, I thought as much. To be honest, it's a case of stamina mainly, But the wide neck isn't helping with my hands. But I'll keep practising.

I mean, that's always a good excuse to the parents as to why I need another bass ;)

Edit: The Marcus Miller basses look pretty tasty, considering the price.

Anyone got any word on them? Considering I'm playing more funky stuff lately it's always good to have a backup that doesn't look metalz like my BC rich does.

Edited by Fisheth

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1426794603' post='2722118']
If you have issues with your back etc, and you used to play guitar.,why not either play a short scale bass or headless?
[/quote]

Not heard of a headless bass before, who makes them?

Tons of basses to check out then!

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1426796483' post='2722154']
I had this thought once. Bought a 4 string and after 4 months realised it was a mistake and went back to using 5's exclusively.
[/quote]

Yeah, worried about this. I mean having another bass isn't a bad thing though!

Sandberg looks to have a nice tasty cutaway at the stomach area, which is always good for me for medical reasons.

What sort of weight we talking for these?

Edited by Fisheth

Well id say either an Ibanez SR or a Yamaha TRBX. Both have delightfully slim and easy necks even for the 5 stringers. Both are active, but the upper ranges in the series can switch to passive if that's your thing.
Good luck, and most of all, enjoy!
Cheers
Geoff

Edited by RandomBass

If you are coping ok with the fifth string and frankly needing it, go with a narrower neck don't go with a four or you will be bass hopping all night.

Remember string spacing plays a large part once you go up to a fiver or a sixer unless you have large hands.

Peavey grind is a narrow neck, cheap as chips and rock solid too. I've heard good things about ibanez too.

If you are trying to play with your left thumb over the top of the neck you will have real problems (I do this all the time when playing skinny-string guitar). Not so bad if you keep your thumb on the back of the neck opposite to somewhere between your first and second fingers.

Ignore me if you already know this stuff!