Why become a member? ×

Zoot Neo Cabs

doctorbass

[quote name='doctorbass' post='264123' date='Aug 17 2008, 02:46 PM']Has anyone played the 410 or 115 and able to give an opinion on either?? I know they have a pretty huge power handling!![/quote]
Power handling is the most quoted spec to imply performance, but it's also the least significant. Those specs which are significant are not available from any manufacturer, so it still boils down to trying before buying to be sure of a happy result.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='264226' date='Aug 17 2008, 10:27 PM']Power handling is the most quoted spec to imply performance, but it's also the least significant. Those specs which are significant are not available from any manufacturer, so it still boils down to trying before buying to be sure of a happy result.[/quote]

Bill,
I've always thought sensitivity is an important part of a cabs performance. I've seen some mind blowing threads here getting way too technical, so go easy on me!
So when buying speakers should we be going for cabs with the highest sensitivity poss?
Ian

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='264953' date='Aug 18 2008, 09:29 PM']So when buying speakers should we be going for cabs with the highest sensitivity poss?[/quote]

No. Why? Because the quoted sensitivity is usually made up by the marketing department and cannot be trusted and in the rare exceptions where it is the truth then it is only relevant if your amp could not drive a less sensitive cab to gigging volume. So if you have two cabs and one is 2dB more sensitive than the other but the other can handle twice as much power without farting out (because the speakers have 40% more travel or Xmax) then the less sensitive one with greater excursion limited power handling can go 1dB louder.

Alex

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='265187' date='Aug 19 2008, 08:04 AM']So basically ignore the manufacterers specs, except impedance I guess, and let your ears judge.[/quote]

Indeed, though there are enough ears out there writing posts online that you can build up a fairly accurate picture of what a cab can do if you're good at reading between the lines.

Alex

I have a 1x12, it's not particularly bass-heavy compared to the cheaper Eden 1x15 and Hartke 4x10 I have ...... but once my ears adjust to the sound, I much prefer it. I bought it for the lightness anyway so as long as the sound is reasonable I can't afford to be fussy.

Something interesting I've noticed about it is that once my power amp is up over two-thirds (it's 300w @ 4ohm so I'm guessing about 200-250w with the Zoot cab, which handles 300w rms) the volume doesn't actually go up. My suspicion from reading some posts on this site is that this may be to do with the cab just not being able to move any more air or the speaker not being able to travel any more .... it handles the power without distorting but doesn't get any louder.

I'm planning on getting a second so I can move more air at lower power, and now look forward to being corrected on this theory. :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='265384' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:23 PM']Once an amp has hit its maximum output or the limiter if one is fitted, it wont get any louder irrespective of the settings of the knobs.[/quote]
Well the limiter light wasn't flashing and I've run it above 2/3rds before, usually it has the effect of making whatever speakers I'm plugged into start crapping out. In this case it was clean as anything but no increase in loudness. I have the preamp gain fairly low (always below 12 o'clock) to avoid any overdrive and so that only my loudest notes feather the built-in compressor.

You have the non-neo Zoot cabs, don't you? I wonder how much different to mine they sound.

[quote name='noisedude' post='265427' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:52 PM']Well the limiter light wasn't flashing and I've run it above 2/3rds before, usually it has the effect of making whatever speakers I'm plugged into start crapping out. In this case it was clean as anything but no increase in loudness. I have the preamp gain fairly low (always below 12 o'clock) to avoid any overdrive and so that only my loudest notes feather the built-in compressor.

You have the non-neo Zoot cabs, don't you? I wonder how much different to mine they sound.[/quote]
I'm not familiar with your amp so cant comment on the accuracy or otherwise of the limiter light. BUt if it goes no louder then it must be putting out its maximum output. There is an article on the basschat wiki that explains it all. I have got GenzBenz Neo cabs like this