Why become a member? ×

What's the general standard of player who reads Basschat?

lou24d53

I am an ok player I suppose. I can't slap (never particularly liked it but can admire peoples technique) I don't like jazz so never really played it,though I did manage to jam a gig once with a jazz pianist, I don't think I was very good but nobody complained! :lol:

I can claim to have been "professional " for a short period when I lived abroad and only gigged for a living ( four or five a week most weeks)...well that's my definition of professional,but that's a whole different thread .....AND i DON'T WANT TO RE-OPEN THAT CAN OF WORMS THANK YOU :ph34r:

I am happy with what I play ...lot's on here wouldn't be but I am 57 and just bumbling along doing what I do and trying to enjoy myself :blush:

I'm firmly in the hobby bass player camp. I play in 3 bands, none of which are busy. I'd say 2 are a decent standard as pub bands go, one lot are a load of old blaggers but very nice fellows.

I started bass late in life, got my first one 10 years ago, first gig at 50 which was 7 years ago now. I've been playing consistently since then. I think 'solid' describes what I do. I have no theory, I don't know my arpeggios from my elbow but can find any note on the fretboard. Eventually. :) Can't improvise, simply copy and paste. On the plus side I have ( so far :unsure: ) been able to learn and play anything that has been asked of me with a reasonable enough touch to remain in bands with far better musicians than I will ever be. A deception that I hope I will continue to get away with. :)

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1426869995' post='2722980']
I can claim to have been "professional " for a short period when I lived abroad and only gigged for a living [/quote]

I bet you had a music stand and everything. Showoff. ;)

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1426686039' post='2720763']

When I started, I never for a moment thought I would still be playing now that I am in my 40's. Basically, I never actually bothered to LEARN the bass. I picked up and tinkered to the extent that I taught myself shapes and patterns. I taught myself to play via muscle memory, which is exactly the same method I use today. I probably should feel an element of shame in that comment, but I can assure you I certainly do not lose sleep.
[/quote]

I wouldn't feel too bad about this. Music is a language and a way to express yourself. How you do that should not be goverened by any set rules. I imagine you don't beat yourself up about how you speak, pronounce certain words and wish you had learn't to speak the queens English much better. I'm sure you drop the odd swear word and don't then think any shame.

As with anything, the more you put in, the more you will get out. Sometimes in life, we just don't get the time to do the things we want. Either way, keep playing, keep listening, keep an open mind and the rest will follow.

Used to be a pro but pretty much retired now after playing for 26 years or so. Just happy to noodle at home on my nice collection of basses.

Lucky to grow up in a family where music was on all the time. My dad Listened to jazz so this is where my love of walking bass lines and swing comes from. My mum listened to stuff like The Carpenters and Barry Manilow so I guess that's the melody and my two older sister were massively into the 80's especially The Police, Duran Duran, Inxs etc. so that's my love of 80's bass lines sorted.

So after seeing Live Aid on TV, I knew I wanted to be a bass player and spent two years locked in my bedroom learning to play. I then spent 10 years working my arse off and finally got a record deal. Did some TV, radio, adverts, couple of John Peel sessions plus touring and releasing an album/singles. Usual sort of stuff and a fair amount of success.

When it ended, took a few years off, then joined a few bands, did a few albums, and the last thing I did a couple of years ago was record an album and support Paul Weller's on tour.

Pretty burnt out now and after doing it for 26 years or so, just fancy doing something else with my life. I have loved every second of it, lived my dream and achieved more than most get to do so very happy.

As for my playing, well, I'm certainly no virtuoso and if you ask me to noodle something off the top of my head then I would draw a blank. Always frustrating when trying a new bass out :) However, my ear is excellent and I craft bass lines from feel and hearing what the song is doing. I construct it bit by bit, constantly tweaking it. It's always too hard for me to play what I hear in my head so I need to keep working on it until I crack it. My main goal when first starting out was to play fretless and thankfully I achieved this, live and studio. I would also say I am technically dumb. Never been good with getting a nice tone or setting amps up or even understanding what the hell all the dials do. Just give me volume, bass and treble. Those EQ's and mid tone dials scare the crap out of me :)

I've been playing bass nearly 30 years now, having started at 12, and I've been gigging on and off for most of that time with various local bands of varying quality and on various instruments!
Nowadays I gig a few times each month with an absolutely kicking pub/function band, mostly on bass and vocals but sometimes on guitar and vocals and I get to play with some really good full-time pro musicians/music teachers.
I'd have loved to be a massive superstar, but it never happened, despite some cool high points playing at big festivals and events. I still have a day job to pay the mortgage and support my little family.
But it's never put me off playing for the enjoyment of performing and the challenge of getting better the whole time - and giving it everything I've got to make its sound great onstage!

Edited by bassbiscuits

I started years ago on guitar , then switched to bass ,had a break for a while ,learnt all my scales etc etc ,went back to bass and could not remember a thing ,keys thought they was for pianists so I play by ear these days because I'm to lazy to bother , but hey I get by ,no good learning all the theory if you don't enjoy playing ,my playing ability is errrr Okish depends on what I'm playing but no slap ,can't get my head around it

Edited by kevvo66

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1426870169' post='2722983']
I'm firmly in the hobby bass player camp. I play in 3 bands, none of which are busy. I'd say 2 are a decent standard as pub bands go, one lot are a load of old blaggers but very nice fellows.

I started bass late in life, got my first one 10 years ago, first gig at 50 which was 7 years ago now. I've been playing consistently since then. I think 'solid' describes what I do. I have no theory, I don't know my arpeggios from my elbow but can find any note on the fretboard. Eventually. :) Can't improvise, simply copy and paste. On the plus side I have ( so far :unsure: ) been able to learn and play anything that has been asked of me with a reasonable enough touch to remain in bands with far better musicians than I will ever be. A deception that I hope I will continue to get away with. :)
[/quote]
+10 for this. Just about sums me up, though I just play in the one band, though a bit for my guitar teacher at student concerts and a bit in church too :)

I would also describe myself as solid.I certainly can't solo,slap or tap.But I can happily play roots all night so the vocals and guitar arn't fighting for space with me.
In 26 years of playing I have never(yet)had a negative comment about my playing(that's jinxed it!).
I have never had a lesson,but I have learnt lines from records,read tuition books and watched other players online.
I am happy with my playing,but know that there is a world of stuff that would improve my playing no end.But due to my inherant idleness I can't be ar*ed!
Other players on this forum are fantastically gifted musicians who can groove and solo to a gold medal standard,but I am not,nor will be one.
And I'm OK with that.

Self-taught hobbyist who knows no theory but has been playing for almost 30 years. I have only recently taken the time to learn the notes on the fretboard :blush: don't know scales and wouldn't know where to start with modes etc. However, I have played in four bands over the year (mainly originals), learnt songs by ear, written passable bass lines and would describe myself as solid-ish.

I suspect that because bass players are generally quite modest and unassuming, even players that I consider virtuosic would also describe themselves as 'solid'!

there are so many posts in this thread that I totally identify with , I started at school doing assemblies etc as I was the only person with a bass , it was a certainly a learning curve , after my younger brother picked it up and did some great stuff , I let it slip somewhat , only really getting back in when Mrs Lurks bought me a new bass 15 years ago , since then I have been in bands and had a great time , I can learn and play everything we decide to do , and have been told we are tight .
I can play to an audience no problem , but recording scares the life out of me , but technically , I am probably poor.
I have seen a few here describe themselves as weekend warriors that I know to be good , always best to hear live , but I reckon I am just about competent enough not to get kicked out of the bands I have been in :D

[quote name='onehappybunny' timestamp='1426971781' post='2724380']
I suspect that because bass players are generally quite modest and unassuming, even players that I consider virtuosic would also describe themselves as 'solid'!
[/quote]

Well, that's just very British really! Probably true too. :)