Why become a member? ×

Speaker size - samples and poll

tks.se

[quote name='tks.se' timestamp='1426693725' post='2720903']
What do you say, is one week about right, or should we wrap this up sooner?
[/quote]

With the amount of traffic on here (and the short attention-span of bassists!) I would suggest that a week would be too long... :D

Two days would seem about right to me (even though i want to know the results now!).

I'm going to go with Fretmeister

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A: 15[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]B: 12[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]C: 10[/font][/color]

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1426697417' post='2720963']
I'm going to go with Fretmeister

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A: 15[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]B: 12[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]C: 10[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I said that too... ;)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='leemarseillebass' timestamp='1426704879' post='2721113']
10, 15 and 12? I have two separate tens. Tens are good.
[/quote]

I think that is probably the trend. People listen to the three samples, judge which one they like the best, and assume that it must contain the same speakers that they have chosen! Most people on here tend to prefer tens and twelves, so therefore the "thick, muddy one" (i.e sample two) must be the fifteens - after all, they are woolly and only any good for bottom end... ;)

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1426684330' post='2720716']
A test of this sort will only tell you how the speakers you're listening to it on sound. If that's a full sized stereo system with flat response from 30-15kHz you might glean some benefit, but even then the gear used to make the recording is just as significant as the source. If it's a typical computer speaker the test is meaningless. Even listened to on a good system the test is of dubious value, as the main difference between how different drivers sound will be heard off-axis. A meaningful test would be done with the mic placed 45 degrees off-axis.
[/quote] ssssshhh we know all that but it doesn't mean that it's not vaguely interesting - if anything to (possibly) repute the whole 15s sound darker than 12s sound less punchy than 10's stuff we hear on forums all the time...
[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1426750307' post='2721448']
I'm part basing mine upon my previous listening to the 15 and 12 TKS cabs, that and the second one sounds most different. ;)
[/quote] know all! :P

I've no idea, as I believe drivers don't have a specific sound based on diameter.
The 10s that was in the MarkBass I had went much lower than the 15s in the Marshall I had and also lower than the 10s in the Trace Elliott.

Listening on the iPad, they all sound a bit tinny, so it might be 1" drives in each. :D

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1426750307' post='2721448']
I'm part basing mine upon my previous listening to the 15 and 12 TKS cabs, that and the second one sounds most different. ;)
[/quote]

Ah - good point! As TKS don't include tens in their current range, it might well be that they would sound the most different - i.e. the second sample... Hmmmm. :D

I'll play :D

I've gone for 10, 15, 12 because at its simplest biggest is muddiest.

But the absolutely enormous elephant in the room for me is that you haven't said how the hell the cabs were mic'ed up, and that can have the most enormous effect on the sound that we are now hearing, I can get a 10" cone to sound like the ultimate dub bass speaker just through mic choice (typically a ribbon) and position (off axis and angled at 45 degress), I can get a 15" cone to sound like a slapper's dream using a different mic (SDC) and positions (straight into the dust cover as close as it will go).

So its all for larks and don't take it too seriously chaps :D

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1426755354' post='2721494']
But the absolutely enormous elephant in the room for me is that you haven't said how the hell the cabs were mic'ed up, and that can have the most enormous effect on the sound that we are now hearing, I can get a 10" cone to sound like the ultimate dub bass speaker just through mic choice (typically a ribbon) and position (off axis and angled at 45 degress), I can get a 15" cone to sound like a slapper's dream using a different mic (SDC) and positions (straight into the dust cover as close as it will go).
[/quote]

You'd hope that all cabs were miced in the same manner, using the same mic...

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1426755354' post='2721494']
I'll play :D

I've gone for 10, 15, 12 because at its simplest biggest is muddiest.

So its all for larks and don't take it too seriously chaps :D
[/quote]

They were DI'd so it would be a fair test :ph34r:

:lol: :gas:

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1426755835' post='2721503']
You'd hope that all cabs were miced in the same manner, using the same mic...
[/quote]

Yes but even then the mic and position can really affect how you hear all of them

And given the different speaker configurations you cant get the same on/off axis if the mic is in the same place relative to the cab.

So they shouldnt have been close mic'ed (because just seeing where the mic was pointing would give it away to the people there).

So if they werent' close mic'ed this means we are hearing the result of the speaker diameter and how it is interacting with the cab, which depends on how the cab was ported (different in each case) and a whole raft of other internal differences: so we aren't really hearing the speaker diameter as a differentiator on its own at all, but that cab with that speaker configuration, which isn't really the same thing at all.....

So its a bit of fun but not actually all that scientific maybe?

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1426759768' post='2721563']So its a bit of fun but not actually all that scientific maybe?
[/quote]

So maybe, instead of criticising, you could design a test of your own that would generate valid results? Could such a test even exist or are there too many variables? :huh:

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1426763260' post='2721617']
I'm so damn interested to know which is which! A TKS is what I'm 99% certain to buy within the next few weeks and this has REALLY piqued my interest!
[/quote]

You want to hear the production cabs for real. BassGear isn't that far. :)