Why become a member? ×

Best string gauge for whole step down tuning DGCF

bisonkills

Hey all.

The guitarist in my current band is now tuning a whole step down. What string gauge would you recommend for tuning a step down? (D G C F).

050 -.110?

The material we play is quite intricate and complex, so I am slightly unsure about telephone line thickness strings, but I do want a tight (minimum rattle sound).

Edited by bisonkills

You could probably get away with .45 to .105 if the tension is high enough.

DR make a range of DDT strings - designed for players who like drop tunings -

http://www.drstrings.com/#!ddt-bass/c1ket

What are you currently using?

Edited by paul_5

Cool. Thanks.

The heaviest set of roundwond steels that Overwater do are: .044 .064 .084 .104

I noted Overwater do flats in 0.45 - .105, they might be worth a shot. Although I've never tried flats. Their strings are very reasonably priced and have served me well in the past.

Bu yeah, may just go with another brand of 0.45s.

Edited by bisonkills

• 1 month later...

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1429991606' post='2757056']
I had Rotosound Swing 66 110-50 on a jazz bass for DGCF. Did the job fantastically. No rattles or buzzes.
They seemed to last longer downtuned than normal too.
[/quote]

110-50 should be grand for tuning down a whole tone. On a normal set of 45-105 I find that they just about down-tune by about a tone, but are a little bit floppy and flat. A slightly heavier set should do the trick no problem.

DR DDT's are absolutely fantastic, they're all I use now and I play in D standard, drop C and and drop B. They retain the same tension, so you can get the same string tension in a lower tuning without changing gauge. I play 55-115's now but that's just my preference, 45-105's would be fine for D standard.

This seems to be an old thread, but I'll chip in anyway. I (believe I) have DR Fat Beams on my P Bass for tuning a semitone lower than you and they're great. I've had them for years and they still sound excellent. I had a set of custom Newtone Drop Tune strings on before I chucked on the old DRs and they were sh*te; didn't do the job at all and flapped about all over the place.