Why become a member? ×

Recommend me some new metal bands!

Truckstop

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1427303746' post='2728630']

You don't like operatic and you like Maiden? Sorry, just seems strange to me
[/quote]
I know what you mean, some people find Bruce operatic, I also like Geoff Tate, so perhaps I was using the wrong word, perhaps squealy high pitched singers who think they are better than they are is the phrase....? Saw a band supporting Ugly Kid joe...think they were called I am I.....eeeeeek, what a fright.

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1427295698' post='2728481']
What I really really want is a great, original, powerful metal band....BUT with a singer who actually sings....not a grunt/screamer. Don't have to be all operatic, cos that gets on my nerves too, but Hetfield style, even some Anselmo stuff is great, but enough with the wierd noises!!!!
[/quote]

Neonfly if you like older styles of Metal.

[url="https://bloodshotdawn.bandcamp.com/album/demons"]Bloodshot Dawn[/url] cranked out one of my albums of last year -- kinda melodic death metal with an extra helping of death. No clean singing, lots of blistering blastbeats and razor-sharp riffage.
[url="https://saor.bandcamp.com/album/aura"]Saor[/url] do some wonderfully atmospheric folky black metal, but without the ridiculous cheese that usually comes with that. Thunderous guest drummer on that album too.
[url="http://miroist.com/album/curve"]Miroist [/url] is instrumental prog/djent, if you liked the first couple of Cloudkicker releases you should check this out.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1427561024' post='2731775']

Neonfly if you like older styles of Metal.
[/quote]
Oooh, liked the bit of Neonfly I heard.
Also checked out Threshold, kind of a more raw Dream Theatre, don't know how long they've been around, but nice riffage.

Seems like I've been mentioned a few times :) (cheers Cameron and EAD)

My main band in a tech metal band called Taken by the Tide

Here is a video:
http://youtu.be/Gscq_YzkNSY

Also here is a link to our bandcamp where you can download our EP for free:
http://tbtt.bandcamp.com

My other band is a more straight up death metal band called Beyond Grace. Here's a video:
http://youtu.be/Ru_g9c0j5f4

Edited by Dread Bass

Here's a related question though, there are obviously still some very good metal bands around, from all sub genres of the all encompassing "Metal" tag, but who is going to be the next BIG metal band....I mean Maiden, Metallica, Pantera, Anthrax, Slipknot style big, or is that an outdated idea, will there never be another metal band who is an instant headline choice at festivals, and who can sell out a few dates at Wembley? It looked a while back that Trivium were the heir apparents to Metallicas throne, but they never really had that seminal song/album that the old school metal bands did.
I must admit that as I've got older I've leaned back more to heavy rock rather than metal, so not as up on the scene as I used to be,but still love an occassional dabble in extreme noise, and would hate for the genre to slip quietly away......

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1427718997' post='2733355']
Here's a related question though, there are obviously still some very good metal bands around, from all sub genres of the all encompassing "Metal" tag, but who is going to be the next BIG metal band....I mean Maiden, Metallica, Pantera, Anthrax, Slipknot style big, or is that an outdated idea, will there never be another metal band who is an instant headline choice at festivals, and who can sell out a few dates at Wembley? It looked a while back that [b]Trivium were the heir apparents to Metallicas throne, but they never really had that seminal song/album that the old school metal bands did.[/b]
I must admit that as I've got older I've leaned back more to heavy rock rather than metal, so not as up on the scene as I used to be,but still love an occassional dabble in extreme noise, and would hate for the genre to slip quietly away......
[/quote]

Shogun?

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1427792943' post='2734197']

Shogun?
[/quote]
Shogun is great, but not sure it's quite up there, I mean if you asked someone with a rudimentary grip of music to name a song by Iron Maiden.....Run to the Hills...or Metallica...Enter Sandman....these aren't ,in my opinion, these band s best songs by a looooong way, but they are bon fide classics that have allowed these bands to get to a level that is clearly way above any metal band since.
To counter my own argument, Slipknot have managed to achieve a massive following and rightfully headline festivals ( also Rammstein, so perhaps I am just an old fart talking crap!!)

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1427793991' post='2734215']
Shogun is great, but not sure it's quite up there, I mean if you asked someone with a rudimentary grip of music to name a song by Iron Maiden.....Run to the Hills...or Metallica...Enter Sandman....these aren't ,in my opinion, these band s best songs by a looooong way, but they are bon fide classics that have allowed these bands to get to a level that is clearly way above any metal band since.
To counter my own argument, Slipknot have managed to achieve a massive following and rightfully headline festivals ( also Rammstein, so perhaps I am just an old fart talking crap!!)
[/quote]

Maybe Trivium are just popular with a younger crowd I know a few younger than me that got into guitar playing because of that one album! What do I know however? I'm just a twenty one year old that should have been around in the 80's!

OT: To the guy that mentioned Bloodshot Dawn. That first album is a cracking little album and it was a risky move giving it away for free with Terrorizer but it paid off bigtime. They were ace opening at Bloodstock last year.

Evil Scarecrow are worth a watch live also.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1427794692' post='2734234']

Maybe Trivium are just popular with a younger crowd I know a few younger than me that got into guitar playing because of that one album! What do I know however? I'm just a twenty one year old that should have been around in the 80's!
[/quote]
This is what I'd been hoping to hear though, my opinions are obviously skewed by the time I got into metal, which was about '83, and you tend to keep the bands you first got into as benchmarks, I think. I just hoped that the younger metal fans coming through will have their bands to latch onto and they can still hold them dear to their hearts in twenty years time, the musical landscape does shift so much, perhaps the day of mega star metal and indeed hard rock bands, is over, there are plenty of good quality bands around, just the " buisness model" of music is different maybe?

I started getting into rock and metal in the mid 80's and when I pick up a new copy of Kerrang or Metal Hammer I might know of 5% of the bands inside.
I did enjoy Trivium's Ascendancy album and Lamb of God's As the palaces burn. Then nothing for a few years until I saw Gama Bomb support Lawnmower Deth.