Why become a member? ×

Been given a Westone Thunder II - doer upper?

Uberkate

My dad got given a Westone Thunder II recently that he's passing on to me. It's not in bad nick and I quite like the look of it in a fugly way. Apart from the usual clean and set up, anyone got any particular suggestions as to what to do with it to improve tone, playability etc.?

I've literally just run my hand up and down the neck and felt the weight of it but even on first inspection it seems like it would be playable with a bit of TLC.

Also thinking new pickups, could splash out since the guitar was free!

Pictures, please! There were quite a number of variations of the Thunder II, some better than others. If it were one of the medium scale versions, for example, there are a few people on here that would start badgering you to sell it to them.

Not me, of course. :ph34r:

Thunder IIs were good quality through-neck or set-neck (depending on year) Matsumoku builds. They're a lot less common than the Thunder I bolt-neck and are fairly sought-after these days. Realistically it should only need a clean and a decent set-up - these were high quality guitars to start with and hardware & electronics, if in good order, shouldn't need upgrading.

Some pics & a serial number will help determine what you have.

Jon.

TBH it's only worth replacing parts if they're faulty or worn out unless you have very specific pickup requirements. Best thing to do is take the strings off, clean it carefully, especially the fingerboard and around the frets & check for damage & wear, then re-string it & let it settle overnight. Go over it the following day checking relief, action, intonation, fret buzz etc and give it a good setup. Then enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has standard Dimarzio super distortion pickups fitted, it is a beast of a guitar, it's as well built as any guitar I have ever played, certainly worth saving and, if still fitted with the original pickups they will continue to gain value

I have a Thunder II, except I had to pay market value for mine, cost me £175!! And you got one for free!

IMHO the pickups and electronics sound fine. It can do a Peter Frampton style buzz, and I feel no need at all to obtain a P90 equipped guitar as the Westone can pretty much do that sound as well.

• 5 months later...

So I finally got around to cleaning this up and re-stringing it... my oh my what a great player! Kinda heavy but so resonant and comfortable. Every time I put it down I pick it up again five minutes later to carry on twiddling :D

Electronics are snafu'd though. Cuts in and out when you wiggle the pickup selector, and one of the little switches has snapped off. When it does 'sound' through the amp, it's lovely.

Anyone interested in taking it off my hands for a nominal offer if I get some pictures up? (If it wasn't a few months before Xmas I'd gift it to the next person but times are hard I'm afraid.)

Edited by Uberkate

[quote name='Uberkate' timestamp='1443443859' post='2874683']
So I finally got around to cleaning this up and re-stringing it... my oh my what a great player! Kinda heavy but so resonant and comfortable. Every time I put it down I pick it up again five minutes later to carry on twiddling :D

Electronics are snafu'd though. Cuts in and out when you wiggle the pickup selector, and one of the little switches has snapped off. When it does 'sound' through the amp it's lovely.

Anyone interested in taking it off my hands for a nominal offer if I get some pictures up? (If it wasn't a few month before Xmas I'd gift it to the next person but times are hard I'm afraid.)
[/quote]

Put the pics up I'm sure there will be an interest :)

John