Why become a member? ×

Aitken Audio prototypes

umph

Thought I should put up some pictures on here of the prototype builds I'm doing!

First up is a 5watt UL 6v6 based amp with a 6sn7 preamp and valve rectified HT.

Gonna be very unique sounding when its done and great for home recording. The transformer is special wound and good for well below 20Hz at full power.

Next is the 6Xel84 amp which is kind've like a hot rodded ac30, The valves are going to be a little underrun voltage wise for reliability so I'm expecting around 40watts from it in fixed bias and 20 in cathode bias mode (which is switchable).

It's also going to have channel switching built in with two seperate preamps.

I need to get some more up to date pictures of this project done.

And lastly is the 400Watt beast with 8KT88, I've had this doing 420W at 15Hz on the bench which is nothing to be sniffed at!

Photography isn't my strong point haha.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1426517643' post='2718717']
That 400 watter must sound quite impressive! I notice you've only got bass and treble controls - is it a Baxandall/James tone stack or something else? I'd be curious to know who you're using for your custom transformers too.
[/quote]

yeah I stuck with a bax style stack, got it so it's actually flat the nightmare is finding the pots with the correct taper. I use John wood in nottingham for transformers, he really knows his stuff.

I like the 400watter because you can drown out the drums with it at about half volume which leaves some nice headroom!