Why become a member? ×

synth pedal for 80s songs

lojo

Could anyone recommend a good simple pedal to produce an 80s synth bass sound

Think, Madonna , Tiffany, Flashdance etc

I know it's a bit of a lazy question , but I don't have a lot of time and just want to grab one without researching it to death as I do with most things

Thanks kind people

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1426251822' post='2716154']
Akai Deep Impact. Or don't believe the hype and try the Digitech, Boss, korg, ehx, or any other brands. I could go into it the nuances and subjective elements of sound but I just didn't have the time.
[/quote]

Thanks, was just hoping for an off the shelf recommendation as wish to get one quickly , Akai out on availability and assumed price.

Not sure if this is an ok thing to ask or not.

There arent really any shortcuts to this. If you don't want to pay for an Akai Deep Impact, the Korg G5 is a reasonable option. There is also a good G5 emulator in the Zoom MS-60B and B1Xon but to get the best out of it you need to spend some time blending envelope filters, distortion etc with the basic synth effects.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1426258491' post='2716271']
There arent really any shortcuts to this.
[/quote]

Ok, thanks, thought this would like buying a chorus or flanger, but I guessed wrong.

Not heard any demos of synths giving the sound im after, just odd synth sounds

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1426296535' post='2716791']
The only one I've found that tracks really well is the MarkBass.

Quite happy playing down low which works really well for that 80's synthy sound :)
[/quote]

+1 for MarkBass Super Synth. Fantastic bit of kit, far outreaches the synth patches on multi-fx units IMO

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1426251822' post='2716154']
Akai Deep Impact. Or don't believe the hype and try the Digitech, Boss, korg, ehx, or any other brands. I could go into it the nuances and subjective elements of sound but I just didn't have the time.
[/quote]

The Akai is still a hard act to follow..... I've had most of the synth pedals out there and they all have their limitations though the Akai is one of the only ones that
a) sounds like the synth bass sound in your head
and
B) tracks well even on a 5 string.

I've not tried a Korg G5 unit though I hear they are ok.

I've not tried the Deep Impact (although a re-issue is meant to be on the way if threads in Talkbass are to be believed. It's on my GAS list). I tried, liked and sold on the EHX Bass Microsynth (that is a pedal crying out for some presets). My favourite synth bar none, is the Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer. The UI is pretty horrible, but if you invest (a lot of) time with it, you basically can build your own analogue synth patches and store up to 50 presets. The OS has endless possibilities, plus the gated fuzz circuit (from the Brown Dog) and Envelope Filter (from 00Funk MkII) aren't too shabby either...unfortunately the Chunk OS is getting as hard to come by as the Akai DI these days! :(

The thing is that there is no single 80s bass synth sound. Even the three examples you've listed would have probably used a whole load of synths that all sound completely different from each other to produce the bass parts. Add into that the challenge of getting a bass guitar to accurately track and trigger the envelopes, you are IME on to a bit of a loser...

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1426526813' post='2718901']
Just buy a synth, better sounds, better all round.
[/quote]

Very much this.

However which synth to buy? Back in the 80s I had synths by Akai, Casio, EDP, Korg, Roland and Yamaha. Each of them did some of the classic synth bass sounds, but none was versatile to cover everything.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1426527078' post='2718906']
Very much this.

However which synth to buy? Back in the 80s I had synths by Akai, Casio, EDP, Korg, Roland and Yamaha. Each of them did some of the classic synth bass sounds, but none was versatile to cover everything.
[/quote]

Very true. Any purchase would have to be a compromise, unless you bought racks of gear or ran some decent emulation software for all the classic bass synth sounds.

Something like a Novation Bass Station would be a good starting place, and just work on getting some approximations of the sounds needed. Nobody in the audience will care too much about authenticity anyway....

Yep, the synths used on the songs I'm doing all vary, but I think a few keyboard ones would be ok and give more variation to the set over all electric bass, especially now I know I can't get anything I'd be happy with effects wise, not heard one clip get close (though the micro synth and octave pedal did ok)

I think I'll just carry as I am for now, the songs still work wonderfully, and look into a small keyboard bass synth (though keytar would really suit this band)

When I do get it sorted, I'll surprise the band

Thanks for all the thoughts, I hope the thread can still running discussing attempts to try , and keys sounds

I'm off to keyschat