Why become a member? ×

P Bass pickups

Pow_22

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Need some advises on a new P bass pup for my PB70.[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Im looking for a thick bassy sound, not too fussed about the usual Precision woody tone – something a bit more meaty but retaining the P punch. I play with flats but mainly use a pick and this can often result in thin/harsh/brittle top end.[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Ive read great things about the Wizard Thumper and wondering if a hot/overwound pup is the way to go or the Dimarzio DP122 which is also hot (not as much as the thumper from what ive read). Ive read about the dimarzio having a growly mid-range, higher output than ‘standard’ and a bit more bass - that would seem to go well with a Valve amp. I play through an SVT valve rig and sometimes find my current bass sound is a little thin/weak and maybe almost plasticy sounding particularly in the upper register.[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Others ive read about is the Fender Original (feel this is going to be maybe more traditional ‘woody’ P bass tone), the various Seymour Duncan QP’s (I believe the SP2 sounds like what im after from their range) and the Fender True ’58.[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Anyone recommend any of these or anything else that fits the fat, beefy, bassy with maybe a bit of high end roll and and bit of mid hump bill?[/color][/size][/font]

I've not tried them personally, but I've heard good reports on the Entwistle pickups
They do 2 versions, and the more powerful one seems to be what people prefer...

One positive note, is that they are relatively cheap
So not too much outlay for an experiment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Entwistle-PBXN-Neodymium-pickup-for-bass-guitar-/331409282006?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d298853d6

Edited by Marc S

From those listed, I`ve had DiMarzio Model P, Hot Rod (ex Wizard) Thumper, Seymour Duncan QP, and Fender Original. Impressions as below:

DiMarzio Model P - very high powered, bucketloads of low and high mids, not many highs. Really powers through in the mix, think JJ Burnell
Thumper - high powered, but very defined, less low mids to my ears, but tighter on the lows and highs, very much like a 70s Precision.
QP - incredibly high powered, real emphasis on lows and to my ears, metallic highs, scooped in the mids. Works great for metal type tones.
Fender Original - woody, good on the mids, not so much on the lows or highs, a real thump, rather like a Motown sort of sound.

From the sound desired, I`d try the Model P - I reckon it would be great through an SVT as they have to my ears a pretty scooped sound, so the Model Ps mid-focus will really bring the beef back into the sound.

Thanks for the heads up on the Hot Vintage P Steve.
I've always been impressed with Steve's tone when I've seen him play, so as I've been thinking about a pickup change thought what the hell.
Great sounding Pickup buddy!!
It's transformed my old Cimar PJ.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1426445942' post='2718141']
From those listed, I`ve had DiMarzio Model P, [b]Hot Rod (ex Wizard) Thumper,[/b] Seymour Duncan QP, and Fender Original. Impressions as below:
[/quote]

This is good to know, I had no idea that someone had picked up the torche from Andy and was still making his pickups. I have a Wizard P/J set (BIG) in my Tanglewater that I was very impressed with, especially for the price. Fat warm and punchy tone.

Cool to know you can still get them after Andy retired!

Edited by bisonkills

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1427060397' post='2725350']
Entwistle PBXN cheap and awesome!
[/quote]

+1

I just bought one for my cheapo MIke Dirnt Precision and played a gig with it last night. Really happy with it! Just not a very traditional P bass sound... but it's a great sound nevertheless.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1427207674' post='2727158']
Thanks Marc.
Next question, I wonder if he sells them separately.
[/quote]

I don't think so.... but he seems a really helpful bloke
Drop him an email - you never know, he just might

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1427459914' post='2730628']
I don't think so.... but he seems a really helpful bloke
Drop him an email - you never know, he just might
[/quote]
Thanks Marc.
I have a set of 1970 pickups that seem to be low on output, getting them checked and re soldered to see if that helps.
If it doesn't I think I'll get onto him.
Cheers.

I've a Bartolini Classic Bass in my P and its really good - i believe its voiced to have a bit more in the low mids. Playing a Lakland JO5 and then going back to the P bass makes me realise that I just love the P tone and certainly more so this pick up than the stock pick up I replaced. The bart sits well in the mix and responds well to tone knob changes.