Why become a member? ×

How to manufacture overseas?

Storky

[quote name='Storky' timestamp='1426073758' post='2714007']

Sorry, don't know what you mean. Can you explain?
[/quote]

It was a joke about how to go about literally manufacturing instruments 'over seas'

I'm not in the bass making trade, but do make furniture in the UK. I have had several meetings with people about having stuff made in Indonesia. You can deal directly with the factories, but that's a bit daunting in terms of communication and quality control.
A safer option is to go through a UK based 'agent' or experienced liaison who already has the contacts and can guarantee a level of quality.
They expect large orders (think containers)
And also think about what materials are easily available over there. I have designs in walnut or oak, but that's not so easy to get in Indonesia!

I believe BC member Chowny Bass (?) has gone through the process to make his great looking hollow body short scales - maybe shoot him a PM

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Storky' timestamp='1426073382' post='2713996']
Does any one know any thing about how to get instruments manufactured overseas?
[/quote]

I'm told that if you take a trip to visit the appropriate part of China, that you'll be able to meet and talk to potential factories and set up deals.

I've seen internet evidence of people who have negotiated deals with Chinese factories by contacting potential manufacturers through AliBaba and negotiating. However, I've also heard of this having variable results. Not that the first method also doesn't have this risk.

Isn't David (?) of Retrovibe/ProBass a member here? Probably worth a PM...

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1426073534' post='2714000']
Some sort of hovering factory?
[/quote]
If it's vacuum-cleaning instruments the OP is interested in, then a hoovering factory may be more appropriate.

Given that both Chowny and Retrovibe are still in the business of selling basses they may not want to give away all the details of their manufacturers to potential competition, but I noticed that Skylark have recently stopped selling. They've closed down their website but are still maintaining their Facebook page - might be worth contacting them if you have no luck elsewhere.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1426092923' post='2714311']
Isn't David (?) of Retrovibe/ProBass a member here? Probably worth a PM...
[/quote]

Yes he is. I forget his username, but he was online last week.

Also the BC member called bridge did this a few years back. He might be willing to talk about it.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1426092923' post='2714311']
If it's vacuum-cleaning instruments the OP is interested in, then a hoovering factory may be more appropriate.
[/quote]

My favourity example of this spelling mistake comes from my Mum, who is a primary school teacher.

Appanentely she once received an essay on tudors of which the last line read "Elizabeth the 1st found it difficult to concentrate during the final years of her reign due to the ghost of Mary Queen of Scotts hoovering in the background."

• 4 weeks later...