Why become a member? ×

Another plagiarism settlement

The Admiral

Just got an email from SamplePhonics:

[b] SAFETY ALERT: Samples that won't get you sued‏[/b]

[color=#606060][font=Helvetica][size=4]Sonic welcomes, good music maker![/size][/font][/color]

[color=#606060][font=Helvetica][size=4]After the blurry lines surrounding a certain copyright [/size][/font][/color][url="http://samplephonics.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6f32251da897023af7917135a&id=5afe1a0fbb&e=0ad3314dca"]lawsuit[/url][color=#606060][font=Helvetica][size=4], we're pleased to say that all of our sample libraries are 100% royalty free and won't land you with a $5,000,000 fine![/size][/font][/color]

[color=#606060][font=Helvetica][size=4] :lol:[/size][/font][/color][color=#606060][font=Helvetica][size=4] [/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1426095478' post='2714356']
When I first heard 'Blurred Lines' I immediately thought it was a Marvin steal from 'Got To Give..',astoundingly so, IMHO.

[/quote]

Agree, when I heard it in car I initially thought it was a cover - was remembering the original from memory (a long time ago).

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1426102237' post='2714462']
... I wonder if Prince ever took any steps regarding Sussudio, by Phil Collins - which sounds remarkably like the Purple ones 1999?
[/quote]
On the subject of Prince, I recall seeing an interview with James Brown where the interviewer asked Brown 'do you like Prince?'. Brown replied that he did like Prince. Then, when asked why he liked Prince, Brown replied 'Because he pays me for the samples'.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1426095765' post='2714366']
A musicologist writes: [url="http://joebennett.net/2014/02/01/did-robin-thicke-steal-a-song-from-marvin-gaye/"]http://joebennett.ne...om-marvin-gaye/[/url]

Essentially, despite different chords, underlying rhythm, basslines, key, vocal melody, lyrics, they sound a bit like each other and have highish pitched male vocal.

The concluding sentence is interesting: "The act of putting an electric piano together with a cowbell and a 120BPM disco beat would need to have been judged a creative act in itself, making instrumentation and possibly even genre into protectable Intellectual Property. Which would have had massive implications for future creators of music".
[/quote]

Having read the article, I think this copyright suit was madness. It's like if Link Wray's estate suddenly sued all rock bands for stealing his idea of a distorted electric guitar and won.

All of which reinforces my opinion that copyright, if it's admissible at all (which I hold it is not...), should end with the holder's death, and not be transmitted as a 'value' from generation to generation. I find it hard to justify the work or effort that the inheritors furnish. It's 'money for old rope'; a 'virtual' wealth. I know, I know, it's not morals not ethics which count in this mad world. I'd abolish all that in a trice. <_<

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1426204228' post='2715768']
I think if someone takes someone to court for plagiarism and wins they should only be entitled to a certain percentage of the profit.
[/quote]
Is that like if someone steals my property and they are found guilty then they have to return only some of what they stole?

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1426071328' post='2713953']
I reckon there could be a couple more in the near future. Is it just me, [b]or does Noel Gallaghers latest sound a bit like Bus Stop by The Hollies[/b]? Or that James Bay thing sounds very much like Charlie Boy by The Lumineers?
[/quote]
[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1426253128' post='2716178']
Over 60 posts so far on a subject regarding plagiarism and [b]no-one has yet mentioned Oasis or Noel Gallagher[/b].
[/quote]

A spot of plagiarism here, maybe..? :rolleyes:

Wilko Johnson's biography talks about him writing the song "Paradise". I hunted it out and soon after listening to it heard (purely by coincidence) the rather obscure"Curfew" by Steve Carl and The Jags (from 1957). I remember wondering whether it was possible that, in the 1970s, Wilko could possibly have heard it or had just stumbled on a very similar riff/feel when he was writing "Paradise".