Why become a member? ×

How to get round headstock copyright issues

chaypup

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1426014153' post='2713479']
But I need a shovel
[/quote]

Sorry! Wrong answer! Thanks for playing the game!

And for viewers of a more - [i]mature[/i] - vintage here's your quiz inquisitor Mr Michael Miles:

[size=3][b]Contestant[/b]: Yes, I... [b]Other man[/b]: GONNNGG![/size]
[size=3].[/size]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1426014335' post='2713483']
I can afford one but don't want one so I don't know where that leaves me?
[/quote]

SANDBERGGGGGGGGGGG

On the cheap Chinese copy part,
My Jay Turser MM Feels lovely,Looks lovely, no sh*tty frets and other such things. And that's coming from second hand so it's stood the test of time it seems.

With some hardware and electrics upgrades I'm pretty sure I can get it damn close to the real mccoy and fill the mm slot in my arsenal just fine,
It'll never be the genuine thing, but It's a beautiful instrument none the less.

Just an Opinion of course, from a guy very happy with his Sub-200 Bass.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1425995163' post='2713179']
You appear to be getting upset, if I may observe.

Fender did not "turn a blind eye". They started making Squiers in order to beat the copyists at their own game, by legitimising some of them - getting them to make legitimate Fenders for the Japanese market in return for them taking their own branded copies off the shelves. An arguably more positive approach than the necessary "threaten everyone" approach when you go down the trademark/trade dress approach.

Am I the only one who finds the whole "Chinese junk" thing a bit off? A bit disrespectful in my opinion.
[/quote] They also tried first to protect the IP of the design and trade marks of the shape of body and headstock - and it was shown that as they hadn't historically tried to actively protect their IP the designs had become generic ith the only part trademark able being the headstock shape - which is why you see japanese guitars using their own headstock shapes from 1982ish onwards.

rickenbacker [b][i]have[/i][/b] to show that they are protecting their trademarks in order for them to still be upheld... hence they have to go after everyone from real forgers to japanese guitar lovers... my guess is given the choice - or if they were based somewhere other than the USA they would do otherwise - but they have to do what the law in the states wants them to.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1425995163' post='2713179']
Am I the only one who finds the whole "Chinese junk" thing a bit off? A bit disrespectful in my opinion.
[/quote]

People seem to forget that their £2000 MacBook Pro is "Chinese junk" too. I do think it's time to lay that label to rest.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1425993190' post='2713141'] If thats the case, you wont want one, no problem, stick with the copy. I would say they cost so much, because the people who can afford them disagree they are a poorly made instrument. Market forces, supply outstrips what they make and has done for many years. A greedy boss would cash in and start knocking out Chinese junk, a clever one, knows he might be better been happy with making a good living over a longer period. But to do this, they must protect the brand and tradmark, all succesful companies do, try selling supermarket pop as Coca cola or pepsi and see how long you get away with it. Fender decided to turn a Blind eye and look where that lead them and now Gibson are doing the same and we are seeing fake Gibson basses, even SG specials landing daily, the latsest snide offerings. The only people who appear to get upset are those wanting to buy snide. [/quote]

My mate has a few, he loves the Ricky tones he gets. He is also pissed off about poor build, tooling and finishing. He's had to send a couple back. He's had to have work done on a couple, and the finish on one of them looks like there was moisture under the lacquer which has only just become apparent over two years after he bought it. He really looks after them too. They are all pristine, never been gigged.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1426019525' post='2713566']
As is the case with 96.8% of all Rickenbackers produced since 1980*

[size=3]*Source: NAMM / Gruhn's Guide / YouGov[/size]
[/quote]

The 3.2% being Lemmy's Collection. Though I have no clue if he has a proper collection of the one's he's used or if he keeps it small and simple.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1426013379' post='2713461']
Greco 'fakers were made by Matsumoku (bolt on necks) and Fuji Gen (through neck). Both good manufacturers. :)
[/quote]

Close, but not quite that clear-cut!

1974 Greco catalogue - the top two are Fujigens (the same delightfully inaccurate instruments as the Ibanez, which was from the same production line), the through-neck on the left, bolt neck on the right. The Matsumoku is on the bottom row, it's a through-neck, as far as I know Greco didn't do a Mat bolt-on. The Mat is an incredibly accurate copy (I have one) but is mysteriously cheaper than the rather idiosyncratic Fujigen. Odd chaps, the Japanese. :)

Later Grecos were Fujigen builds, as Kanda Shokai (Greco brand owner) moved all its business to Fujigen - including of course MIJ Fenders. It's worth remembering that Greco is a Japanese home market brand, and has never been officially exported. This means that manufacture of MIJ Greco-branded Rick copies continued well beyond the 70s "lawsuit" era - in fact Fujigen were still making Greco Rick copies in the late 90s.

J.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1425993190' post='2713141']

Fender decided to turn a Blind eye and look where that lead them and now Gibson are doing the same and we are seeing fake Gibson basses, even SG specials landing daily, the latsest snide offerings.
The only people who appear to get upset are those wanting to buy snide.
[/quote]

The Gibson fakes come with the nice cases with the Gibson logo.
I have an ES-335 & a Gold Top Bass, hope they are real. :(

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426050170' post='2713765']
The Gibson fakes come with the nice cases with the Gibson logo.
I have an ES-335 & a Gold Top Bass, hope they are real. :(

Blue
[/quote]Copies and fakes are a lot different though. One is meant to flatter, the other set to decieve. Hopefully you have an original one.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1425984063' post='2712959']
Everyone hates them for not allowing ripp offs, [u][b]yet everyone wants one[/b][/u], figure that one out.
[/quote]

Really?

These basses have not been involved making a single piece of music that I have liked or listened to since I discovered what a bass guitar was.

So, while they seem to have fans who don't mind the questionable quality, structural problems and huge price tag, to me they don't sound good and are so pug ugly that I'd give one away if it was given to me.

Please don't include me in any list of "everyone" who "wants one."

I just wanted to share.

The fake Chinese Gibsons are ariving in UK thick and fast in nice cases, they are good to fair copies but they are also fooling a lot of people and changing hands at big money, seen flying v basses, LTD edition SG basses all cased with all paper work, tags, books.
The give away is the neck wood is just not quite right, but only an expert in Gibsons would spot one, the casual buyer is going to get stung.

Edited by spacey

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1426068158' post='2713905']
Really?

These basses have not been involved making a single piece of music that I have liked or listened to since I discovered what a bass guitar was.

I just wanted to share.
[/quote]

For me it was completely the opposite. Growing up and getting into pop and rock music in the 70s, just about every band I liked had a bass player sporting a Rickenbacker (and the few that didn't had Thunderbirds or EB0/3s). The bass I lusted after was the 4001 with the triangular inlays (or perhaps a copy made by John Birch).

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1426068158' post='2713905']
[/quote]

Having been a big Chris Squire fan back in the day and Paul McCartney before that day, I always lusted after a 4001 but I've been unlucky in that the examples I've played have all been total dogs. I seriously doubt that they're [i]all [/i]total dogs, so I look forward to the day when I play a Ric that is what it is supposed to be. When that day comes have no doubt I'll let everyone know about it! ;)