Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Fender Jazz Bass VI - Steve Bailey
£1800

thebassist

SOLD - Fender Jazz Bass VI - Steve Bailey

----------

Some not so important stuff...

After searching for one of these amazing basses for what seems like an eternity, I finally found one for sale last year following a tip-off from a fellow basschatter - I really, really do love this instrument - A genuine 6-string US Fender Jazz Bass! What's not to love? The weight is the answer... for me anyway! At 10.4 pounds my left shoulder just can't take it on longer gigs. The weight aside, it ticks every box I have. It's a Fender, it's got 6 strings, a beautiful ebony fingerboard and it has 24-frets!

I've played this incredible bass for 45 minute sessions and it's been my main instrument since buying it - I can get through those shorter sets fine but I did a two and a half hour installation piece about a month ago and really paid the price the week that followed. I let my shoulder recover completely using only my lighter 4-string Jazz Basses in the meantime but strapped the 6er on again on Thursday night and recorded a two hour session - unfortunately, my shoulder just can't deal with it. I know I could keep it as a sit down only bass and I have thought about that a lot since originally hurting my shoulder but this latest experience has unfortunately strengthened any argument against letting it go - I really have been incredibly torn on this. Since I predominantly play standing up I can't really afford to have a bass around not being played as much as it deserves.

Much to the annoyance of my wife, I generally buy things quickly on a whim but after deciding I wanted one of these, I couldn't buy it on impulse, I couldn't find one - they're just so rare and seldom become available. If you want a 4/5-string Jazz, you can choose from loads out there but these Fender 6ers really are crazy rare. And even more uncommon in the fretted, black finish. I'm not really into signature basses but I wanted a 6-string Fender Jazz Bass and this is the only model you can get. Thankfully, Steve Bailey's signature is in the form of his initials placed on the reverse side of the headstock out of view.

----------

Now the more important stuff and some overview information I got off of the internet about the bass.

The Fender Steve Bailey Jazz Bass VI is a phenomenal vehicle for self-expression that offers you the opportunity to explore a virtually limitless tonal palette in the quest to define your own voice on the bass. From silky singing cello-like tones to the thundering bottom end that only a beautifully executed low "B" string can produce, this Fender bass guitar is one of the finest examples of the marriage of art and engineering. The Fender J-Bass has a select alder body and a quartersawn maple neck with an asymmetrical profile with a 9.5" to 14" compound-radius 2-octave ebony fingerboard. Other appointments include custom Fender bass pickups, 18-volt active electronics, an onboard mute switch, onboard active EQ, a heavy-duty fully adjustable Fender locking bridge and Bailey's initials on the back of the headstock.[list]
[*]Model Number: 019-7401-306 (Black)
[*]Body: Alder
[*]Neck: Maple
[*]Fingerboard: Ebony 9.5"-14" radius (241mm-355.6mm)
[*]String Spacing: 19/20mm (approx.)
[*]Scale Length: 34" (864mm)
[*]Frets: 24 Medium-Jumbo
[*]Width at Nut: 2" (50.8mm)
[*]Tuning Machines: Hipshot® Ultralite™
[*]Pickups: 2 Custom 6-String Jazz Bass
[*]Controls: Volume, Blend, Bass, Treble, Mute
[*]Pickguard: 4-Ply Tortoise Shell
[*]Bridge: Locking CVM
[*]Unique Features Steve Bailey's Initials on Back of Headstock, Top Mounted Strat® Input Jack, Asymmetrical Neck Profile, Posiflex™ Graphite Neck Support Rods, 5-Bolt Neck Attachment, Slightly Contoured Heel for Comfort in Upper Register, Unique 6-String String Retainer, 4 Over 2 Under Tuning Machine Array, Rolled Fingerboard Edges
[*]Strings: Super Bass 7250M PN# 073-7250-606 NPS .030, .045, .065, .085, .105, .130
[/list]
----------

I'll get some better photos posted when it's light.

[url="http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/minuspilots/media/1_zpsea9khstw.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/minuspilots/media/2_zpsysrwt6wj.jpg.html"][/url]

A straight sale is preferred but depending on the weight, trades with cash my way considered are:[list]
[*]American Standard 4-string Fender Jazz Bass in black, Olympic white or sunburst
[*]American Standard 5-string Fender Jazz Bass in black, Olympic white or sunburst
[*]Post-2010 model American Deluxe 5-string Fender Jazz Bass in black, Olympic white or sunburst
[/list]

Edited by thebassist