Why become a member? ×

Anyone using Barefaced compact 15 with a big valve head(200watt)?

Subthumper

As the title suggests really, it's what I'm using and was wondering if anyone's got the amp to push the driver to its limits? I know it's rated at 450 watts but it's frequency and sheer grunt and im wondering if the amp is pushing the cone too far. Anyone else had a similar experience?

I used a BF compact (1x15) with a matamp GT200 for quite a while - but I wasn't impressed, it just didn't do the amp justice. Moved on to a matamp 2x12 and haven't looked back.

I've heard good things about the 2x15s though.

But there's definitely something about the one-handed lift at the end of a big night - it's a lifesaver.

Never got close to 200W of valves, just my 50-watt Selmer. The output valves were cooking but the speaker wasn't even breaking sweat.

EDIT: I thought the Compact and Midget were both rated at 600W?

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1425930451' post='2712464']
Never got close to 200W of valves, just my 50-watt Selmer. The output valves were cooking but the speaker wasn't even breaking sweat.

EDIT: I thought the Compact and Midget were both rated at 600W?
[/quote]
The thermal rating is 450W RMS.

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1425928453' post='2712430']And yes I did feel that the cone was being pushed too much - it was flappy and woofy at higher volumes.[/quote]

It wasn't the speaker not being able to handle the amp, it was the amp not having enough oomph to get the speaker loud enough. A 200W valve amp is only a 200W amp however you dress it up - it you want loud without lots of distortion then you need big cabs and plenty of cone area. A single 15" won't be enough unless you're happy with a very overdriven sound or not being so loud.

It's a fantastic cab and I'm totally impressed with it. I'm just trying to determine if I'm pushing it too far or if I have an amp or valve problem. I have access to a 1kw 8x10 so I'm going to see how far I can push the amp before meltdown.
Looking like two cabs will be the answer...how awful.

I've heard and played through Noisyjon's 2 Compact rig. It sounded huge and loud with no issues.

There are too many unknown variable to comment on the OP, but 212 cabs will usually outperform a 115 and 215's will usually outperform a 212.

Always try to compare apples and apples.

Edited by chris_b

I'll just chime in and add to the above really. My 2x12 Barefaced works great with a valve amp up to a point - then it starts to distort (the amp, not the cab) if you go any louder.

When I used the amp with a 1x15 it would reach this point far sooner, but it was less noticable. Some cabs don't have such definition, so the distortion isn't as obvious.
I guess that's why the classic Ampeg fridge is so popular with valve amps, lots of cone area and not so much of the hi-fi definition to give the game away.

I also believe valve bass amps seem to work better with sealed (rather than ported) cabs - although thats only my experience and certainly not based on any scientific fact at all! So I won't be offended if someone explains why it's the complete opposite :)

I used my Buster 200 with a Gen 2 Compact and it was ok for a few gigs but the Buster needs lots of speaker area to be loud. Most of the time I would run the Master flat out.
Even my Walkabout would struggle with the Compact with or without FOH and we were not a loud band.
2 Compacts would be fine and can be bought for a good price secondhand.

[quote name='funky8884' timestamp='1426362088' post='2717393']
I used my Buster 200 with a Gen 2 Compact and it was ok for a few gigs but the Buster needs lots of speaker area to be loud. Most of the time I would run the Master flat out.
Even my Walkabout would struggle with the Compact with or without FOH and we were not a loud band.
2 Compacts would be fine and can be bought for a good price secondhand.
[/quote]

This is odd thinking, IMO.. Speaker is supposed to be able to be pushed very hard/loud, yet some amps struggle to do that
so you have to buy two cabs to do the job that one should be able to do..???