Why become a member? ×

Rack mounted tuners

jonunders

I recommend the Korg Pitchblack Pro, which is currently selling for around £55 on Thomann.de. Yes, the plastic rack ears are a bit flimsy, but theyve withstood a year of abuse in my rack with no problems so far. The unit performs brilliantly, it has standard or "strobe"style options,includes a built in lead tester and is visually quite eyecatching.

I have the Korg Pitchblack Pro, which is fantastic except for the plastic rack ears. What a stupid idea! I have taken some mild steel 1U ears from a Netgear router to use as a backup. The ears will not slide onto the tuner, but you can easily use a couple of small screws and wind them into the side of the plastic bodied tuner. As small as the tuner is, there is loads of space inside. The screws wont touch any of the internals. I would recommend getting this unit. When I fitted mine I used nylon washers under the mounting screws AND between the ears and the rack frame rail to alleviate any twisting movement that could snap the ears.

[quote name='jensenmann' timestamp='1426878649' post='2723118']
Unseen which one you use, make sure that it get´s fed from a tuner out and is not between your bass and amp. I have two different Korg rack tuners and both create clicking noises when they are in the audio signal path.
[/quote]
I need it for my Studio. The signal path would be:

Bass > KORG TUNER > Avalon U5 > DBX 131 (Graphic EQ) > DBX 160A (Comp/Limit) > Audio Interface > Mac

Do you think I'll have problems?

This setup would mean that your tuner is in the signal path. Maybe Korg has resolved the issue I had with mine in the meantime, I don´t know. Make sure to check it out. Anyway, if you´re recording you don´t necessarily need to have it in the recording chain all the time. Unplugging for tuning the bass is not that much of an effort.
Besides that your Avalon offers two outputs. Use the line-out to send the signal to your dbx EQ and the mic out to send it to the tuner. If Avalon didn´t mess up their design (which I bet they didn´t) then there should be a buffer between both outputs which makes them backlash free.