Why become a member? ×

Noel Gallagher versus the world

UglyDog

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1425912594' post='2712096']
[b]James Blunt[/b]:
Noel G: “[i]I ‘d never draw on my own life for songwriting inspiration as it would result in songs more boring than James Blunt's.[/i]"
James Blunt: [b]"[i]For once, I agree with him.[/i]"[/b]
[/quote]
Class riposte from Blunt!

I think he is more entertaining as a commentator than a musician , I find his comments amusing , and I don't think he takes himself as seriously as the guy we think we love to hate. It's mostly a continuation of the Blur thing, and it gets all parties talked about.

James blunt , I'd not go to concert , but I'd listen to a live performance of his comical wit

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1425939638' post='2712634']
...as well having his male appendage firmly planted on his forehead he also seems to have a huge chip on his shoulder.

[url="http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/18/noel-gallagher-fiction-waste-time"]http://www.theguardi...tion-waste-time[/url]
[/quote]

That's not saying that he thinks all literature is a waste of time, or that he thinks lads shouldn't read, or that people shouldn't educate themselves. All he's saying is that he's not into fiction or novels. He prefers non-fiction literature. What's wrong with that?

When guys like Gallagher slag off things like he does Jazz, he isn't posing a legitimate critique of the genre, he is having a go the way most of us do down the pub, having a dig, taking the piss. It isn't there to be analysed or agonised over but to be laughed at, ignored and forgotten as soon as it is spoken. I had a blind friend once (he has since passed away) who remembered everything you ever said. He was a pain in the arse! :lol: I think NG comes across as a sound bloke and as grounded as rock star celebrities get.

He says something negative about somebody every week which gets him in the magazines and on the front of websites. I follow NME magazine on Facebook and 90% of their posts seem to be something that Noel Gallagher has said.

If a magazine gives him an article for the odd silly remark about someone else I can see why he does it. He will always choose a band or artist that has recently been on the rise or hit the big time to cause the biggest amount of controversy. He recently did it with Ed Sheeran and basically said he doesnt want to live in a world where Ed Sheeran is playing Wembley - the magazines went mad for it!

Its all free advertising, Kanye West is another example of how being a complete tool gets people constantly talking about you.

I'm a big fan of Noel. The flippant manner of his opinions is no different to how my friends and I talk about music and I suspect most of it is exaggerated on purpose anyway. A quite intelligent and interesting bloke underneath the bluster. Granted Oasis's output post 3rd album is awful but those first 2 albums are just frigging genius.

Every fret w4anker going hates them, they made millions from simple songs with open chord structures and sold millions of records.
Every muscians worst nightmare, "look at me play my instrument and bow before me...
Nah Noel gallaghers sing sally can wait, see yer bud....

What they did do, was show pop music is about "songs" not muscianship.
The two can go together, but if you can not write a simple singalong anthem, then it will never get you that far.

He's an easy target the way he spouts off in interviews, but like others have said, a lot of it is not unlike what the average bloke would comment on down the pub with a few mates. There is no need for the NME to comment on every last comment he makes though or anytime he goes for a dump!

Yes, his song-writing seems to follow a set formula - or whatever other word you prefer to use - but he's evidently good at what he does and appeals to a large audience or he wouldn't have lasted half as long as he has in the industry.

The last HFB album I thought was excellent, this latest one not so much for me, but I was at The Hydro on Saturday night and I thoroughly enjoyed what was on offer, as did the majority of the 13,000 sell-out crowd who was there I've no doubt.

Like others have said, he wrote and played on some definitive tunes from the mid-90's and early-00's, which provided a good percentage of the soundtrack of my youth at the time, so yeah, I do have a soft spot still for him and his music, but I appreciate he does make it easy for folk to severely dislike him, in fact, probably the same folk who have a similar opinion on Morrissey I'd suspect for pretty much similar reasons.

For what it is worth, I don't "get" jazz either, although I do have a massive appreciation of the talent that people have to play it and know there is a number of said musicians on here, but you like what you like, don't you.

NG's a bit of a dick but I don't mind him too much. He seems to be a bright chap putting on an act, can be entertaining, and I get the feeling that he says some of what he does just because he can. LG on the other hand - not a fan.

Never liked Oasis (and I never liked The Beatles - coincidence?), and I think that the post-Oasis output of the bothers G has been absolute tripe.