Why become a member? ×

Does such a thing exist........?

donslow

Hey all, but of friendly advice needed from people who know what their talking about

Firstly, current setup is a precision bass, little mark II head, Warwick 411 pro cab + ashdown mag 210t cab

Playing blues and 70's era blues rock mostly

Whilst I'm trying to save for ampeggy goodness I'm trying to refine my current sound, recently was given the use of a coloursound boost/of pedal, I'm astounded and really pleased with the difference it makes in terms of boost and a little grit as well as the way it tightens everything up

My question is this, is there a pedal specifically for bass that is/works as
1) compressor
2) od (versatility is key here as I don't want it overbearing, just enough to make a difference but also want proper growl just in case.....)
3) power boost

Never really looked into effects for bass as have never really needed them so am a complete novice currently

Is there a recommended pedal that will do all of the above or am I asking for too much?!

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1425927582' post='2712406']
Could something like a sansamp vt be my solution?!
[/quote]

The VT is a great pedal, adds in as little grit/as much drive as you need, and the manual states that a seperate compressor isn`t needed with it as the pedal adds natural compression. Don`t understand this mind, but the manual states it, and the sound of the pedal is pretty amazing.

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1425974447' post='2712811']
Thanks guys, would there be need for a separate boost pedal as well do you think?!
[/quote]
Not necessarily. There are plenty of OD pedals that give masses of boost, but the trick is finding one you like the character of. If you're completely happy with the Colorsound apart from the bass it would be worth search the DIY pedal forums for a mod that will give more bottom end, as it's often just a case of changing a capacitor value.

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1425974447' post='2712811']
Thanks guys, would there be need for a separate boost pedal as well do you think?!
[/quote]
The reason most people use a boost pedal into some kind of dirt pedal is to use the dirt to colour the sound normally, and then kick on the boost to drive it a bit more. If this is the kind of thing your looking for, you can either get a separate boost pedal, or an OD/preamp that has a separate boost switch.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1426002900' post='2713293']

The reason most people use a boost pedal into some kind of dirt pedal is to use the dirt to colour the sound normally, and then kick on the boost to drive it a bit more. If this is the kind of thing your looking for, you can either get a separate boost pedal, or an OD/preamp that has a separate boost switch.
[/quote]

Would you have any suggestions as to where I should look?!

[quote name='donslow' timestamp='1426026173' post='2713674']
Would you have any suggestions as to where I should look?!
[/quote]
Off the top of my head, here are some that i think will do the trick in one pedal: Aguilar Tone Hammer; Xotic AC Plus; COG Dual Knightfall Distortion; Visual Sound V3 VS-XO.