Why become a member? ×

Sleaford Mods' Jason Williamson Rails against the music industry. Good stuff!

xilddx

Thing is, Mr Noel Gallagher demolishes bands, industries, paradigms etc in one sentence whereas Mr Sleafordmod takes about a thousand words to achieve more or less the same effect.

And it's in The Guardian which is arguably the [i]least[/i] Rock'N'Roll of the national press, though none of them are much good. Praise be that ponce Peter Paphides no longer pollutes their pages with his pretentious, preening puffery.

Anyway, entering into the spirit of the age:

'If I wanted to watch a shouty f***ing chav with a microphone and a computer I'd go down our local f***ing minicab office. Sleaford f***ing Mods? I f***ing sh*t 'em'.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1425840627' post='2711346']
Love Sleaford Mods and have met Jason a couple of times through mutual friends - seemed to be a very articulate, intelligent and respectful chap.
[/quote]

Then it's a shame the Guardian painted him in such different colours. That's the trouble with the press - they chop out all the reasonable stuff and distort the truth. :(

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1425841032' post='2711350']

Then it's a shame the Guardian painted him in such different colours. That's the trouble with the press - they chop out all the reasonable stuff and distort the truth. :(
[/quote]

I think he has a persona which works well on record and in print, and I don't believe it to be too contrived either, but chatting in a pub or on local radio interviews I've heard, he seemed to be much more sedate. Noone would have the energy to keep up that level of vitriol constantly!

Edited by Roland Rock

I love a good rant, but unfortunately this falls woefully short.

A good rant should identify it's subject with laser like accuracy and eviscerate it with incendiary invective, a literary expression of a physical spasm. I know it's published in The Guardian, so I wasn't expecting unadulterated bile, but his scatter gun approach barely grazes it's many targets under the 'music biz' umbrella and fails to rise above the 'winge' category.

2/10. Wouldn't read again.

A dreadfully written piece that misses one fundamental point...record companies are businesses, businesses that seek to make money like all other businesses. They're not philanthropic charitable organisations there for the whim miserable musos who want more of 'their sort of music' being signed. Record companies are signing acts that sell downloads and cds. Fans of other music don't buy music they download for free...why would a record company bother signing any of those acts?

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1425936258' post='2712578']
A dreadfully written piece that misses one fundamental point...record companies are businesses, businesses that seek to make money like all other businesses. They're not philanthropic charitable organisations there for the whim miserable musos who want more of 'their sort of music' being signed. Record companies are signing acts that sell downloads and cds. Fans of other music don't buy music they download for free...why would a record company bother signing any of those acts?
[/quote]

I had a reread earlier. Maybe I was a bit too enthusiastic about the piece :) He makes some good points in a poetic way which is why I liked it. Well-trodden ground though. Fact is, music is not making many people much money anymore.